• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Plus PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Being new to the site i figured i should start a new thread after reading through the many similar ones on the site. I don't want to hijack any more threads. I took out a secured loan in Nov 2005 and was asked about the PPI which i never usually take but because the loan was over a long period of time and they dangled the cashback option in front of me i took it. Feeling very foolish at the moment as i am now in a postition to settle and have been given the settlement figure only to find that i have basically lost most of the insurance sum as they have added it on to the total for my loan and then added interest on. I have contacted the company and receved the usual answer of you have signed the terms of agreement etc. How can this be justified that i am losing about £6,000 in insurance when i am settling the loan and will not pay.

Thanks for the comments i have already received when i posted in another thread. Is there any way of claiming this back. I recently remortgaged to get rid of this and my advisor nearly had a heart attack when i received the settlement figure.

Funnily enough the settlement figure i received in April last year was less than the one i received this year.

Thanks to everyone who is posting you are giving me hope to start the fight with a long journey ahead!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am in similar position with a Firstplus PPI, though I did not take out the agreement directly with Firstplus, I have to fight the Mis Selling of the policy with the agent GE Money / Purpleloans. This fight has been long and hard so far and is now at the stage of going to court. I am just adding some further information etc to y final statement of claim and will be submitting to court in the next week or so. These companies all seem to use the same line..You ticked the box for PPI so F off and leave us alone. Well in my case the agent completed the application forms in full, I was only given them for signature.

I have since settled the loan in full and am at the moment taking Firstplus to court on 05/02/2007 regarding the £750 that they charged me as an early settlement interest charge. I cant wait for them to stand up in court and defend their penalty charge..

I have already previously complained to Firstplus regarding the terms and conditions of the PPI, this was totally ignored by them, this time though I intend to take the matter all the way to the top.

Once I have got my money back for that penalty I am going to have another go at them regarding the deceitful, hidden terms and conditions of their PPI policy. This has already been discussed with the OFT and I will be turning it into an official complaint in the very near future.

One funny bit though, 10 Days after I had settled the loan, I got a call from Firstplus..As A Valued customer they wanted to offer me a new loan at special rates..Their special rate was 2.6% higher than the loan I have since taken from Northern Rock, They said they could not match that but could possibly give me a lower rate than first quoted. When I told her I was in the process of taking legal action against Firstplus , she replied I will ammend your file..lol

Just a thought here too, Has anyone seen any TV Adverts for Firstplus recently, especially at this time last year they were flooding the TV with Adverts, so far I havnt seen any Firstplus Adds, Maybe they are saving up their money to pay back the customers that they have ripped off in the past..lol

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Funnily enough being a year into having a loan with them i have received numerous requests asking me if i want to top up my original loan what a laugh!!! I can' t shake the foolish feeling though and would definetly not recommend this kind of loan to anyone. How did you go about tackling the misselling of the insurance policy??? They always get you at a vulnerable time don't they when it seems an easy way out it never is. The cash back option was explained to me but the fact that i would lose all my insurance claim if i settled early was not!!! I'm glad someone else is tackling it though it's not sitting right with me to let this one go!!!!

Yeah, They Charged me £150 fee to remove the security on my property, As I am in Scotland this had to be done through solicitors in Scotland who charged me over £132 for the removal of the security.

As Firstplus clearly state in their price list the £150 fee is purely for the removal of security, I of course complained about this (not like me to complain I know..lol). I basically told them I was not going to pay £150 for a service that they did not carry out, After a couple of letters I got a cheque for the £150. They also stated that due to my complaint regarding this matter they had revised their charges. They of course refused to pay me back the £750 + they charged as early settlement interest penalty charge, we will see if they cough up now that a summons has been issued..If not I will see them in Court on 2nd Feb..

And that won't be the end of Me vs Firstplus..I am going to complain regarding the misleading and hidden terms found within the cashback option of the policy that I was Mis sold. (Mis Sold by Ge Money / Purpleloans)

I did write to the CEO at Firstplus and my complaint was dealt By, who sadly has no idea regarding common law and penalty charges..lol

Carolynne Smith

Complaint Executive

Firstplus Financial Group PLC

The Avenue Business Park

Pentwyn

Cardiff

CF2 8FF

Telephone 0845 650 6600 Extension 6713

I hope this helps, If you need further help please do not hesitate to shout, If need be I can send you copies of the letters etc I sent them.

Good Luck and keep up the fight..:D :D

Ian

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Have you asked them to send you the forms for your personal data? (all of your phone call recordings and all corrospondence letters) its well worth having?? it will cost you a £10 but make sure you tell them you want the new version of the forms so you can apply for all your data they hold ok...

Thats a good place to start thanks for that. I just don't know the best way to tackle this and i am starting to wonder if i am going to lose this moneyt anyway but i will send for the forms and have a read through them. Do you think they would have recorded the call and have a transcript??

Firstplus do Record some calls, They had a recording of the pre payout call that they made to me. I did get a copy of that call on tape along with my SAR. When you submit SAR include in the letter that you also require any transcripts , copies of any telephone calls.

though the quality of the recording was poor, I had mine enhanced in our recording studio to make it clearer should it be required in court.

By the way the Date for the Tonight with Trevor McDonald Programme on PPI has been brought forward 1 week to 12th January 2007. I had the film crew etc here this morning..lol

Ian

So you 're becoming quite a star!!! Good for you the more people who know about battling these big companies the better. I think i'll start with a request for all my info.

Thanks for all the advice i'll keep you posted i'm hooked now!!!!:D

So you 're becoming quite a star!!! Good for you the more people who know about battling these big companies the better. I think i'll start with a request for all my info.

Thanks for all the advice i'll keep you posted i'm hooked now!!!!:D

:shock: :shock: Me a Star...lol :D :D Add Mon in front of it..lol

Thats a good place to start thanks for that. I just don't know the best way to tackle this and i am starting to wonder if i am going to lose this moneyt anyway but i will send for the forms and have a read through them. Do you think they would have recorded the call and have a transcript??

They have all the recordings of every conversation you have ever made to them and vice-versa, but you must ask them for the updated forms otherwise they will use the partial info ones as a stalling tac-tic, the forms are called personal data enquiry forms-Data protection Act ok? and with that you will receive all the letters or paperwork you have sent them or they have sent you.

Trust me!!! i've just got all mine and they make interesting reading and when you listen to you initial application over the phone and you are in a more relaxed state rather than when you applied for it and was only thinking of getting the loan cos of probably being slightly desperate cos lets face it ? we wouldn't go to these sharks if we wasn't, you can then hear how you was manipulated and pick-up on all the con questions, they stand out like a sore thumb, its shocking really...

Hi Guys,

Just thought i would add the latest in this saga. I have now received another settlement figure for this loan as the first ran out end of December. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why when you continue to pay a loan your settlement figure increases?????? Thats them now added on about another £400 and i have also made payment of about £426 before they recalculated the settlement. Also does anyone know why an administration charge can cost £150??????

Will be dealing with all of this when i have managed to get on an even keal after changing mortgage. Feeling totally screwed by this company at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Fkerr,

The loan I had with Firstplus was slightly different, My loan was arranged via a broker (GE Money / Purpleloans). I did settle the loan in full with Firstplus but am fighting them on a couple of things, I know its not like me to fight..lol.

1. The Admin fee of £150.00 is to release the security that they have registered on your property. This fee seems about right as I had to pay £132.00 to solicicitors in Scotland to release the security, I did argue with Firstplus regarding them also Charging £150, and I got that back.

This fee is actually for a legitimate service and seems reasonable.

If you are based in Scotland fight with them about the £150 as you will also have to pay their Solicitors based in Glasgow to do this task. Again if you are in Scotland and they argue about the £150 I will gladly send you a copy of a letter I got from them stating that in fact they have due to my complaint changed their procedures and charges for this on Scottish accounts. That should be evidence enough to get your £150 back.

The settlement Figure I got also included around £760 in what they called Early Settlement Interest Charges..Yeah Right..lol as that figure is a Penalty charge I have issued a summons through Dundee Sherrif Court to recover that sum. Im Due in Court on the 5the Feb 2007 on that one, that is if they do not settle before hand.

Hope the Above Info answers your queries , If not please just shout or PM me.

Good Luck

Ian

Apologies for the long post but this is sounding very familiar and I hope you guys can help me out.

I took out a loan with FP this time last year (desperation and naivity prevailed when I should have really just sorted out my budget and outgoings) and was lured into taking out the PPI with it. I was in two minds about the PPI but was persuaded/cajoled/slightly pressured into going ahead because of the cashback offer.

I am trying to really sort my finances out now and am reassessing this situation. I have an excellent credit score and what I would like to do is get shot of FP by switching to a more reputable lender, ideally with a lower APR over a shorter term (not asking for much am I?)

Anyway I have logged a call with FP to call me back as I want to know what the cash back deal actually means in principle, not much if I am reading your posts correct. I remember asking if the full premium would be returned after 5 years and I was assured this would be the case providing no claims had been made.

So what does an amount equivalent mean? What are the interest charges and terms and conditions? If I settle do I not get anything back, not even the pitiful amounts illustrated in the policy - or will I just have to write the whole amount off and put it down to bad experience if I change lenders? Also if I move house or change the terms of my loan does invalidate the cashback? Do you think I have cause to complain or a misselling case?

"Even better, FIRSTPLUS will pay you an amount equivalent to your insurance premium back if you haven't made a successful claim, been in arrears, settled or changed your loan after five years (less interest charges, subject to terms and conditions). "

Again sorry for all the questions, but would really like to know where I should start with this.

HF

Hi Highflyer,

Oh dear another one hit by Firstplus.. I have experience of this mob, I have just cleared my loan with them and am in process of court action with them to recover Early Settlement Interest. (due in court 5/2/07).

Firstly the Cashback...They will pay you back the premium less insurance tax (5%) after 5 years if you have not made any claim on the policy. Of course you have to claim within 30 days of the end of the policy otherwise tuff luck.

I am also fighting on the grounds of Misleading and in fact deceitful terms and conditions attached to the Cashback offer, Nowhere in the main Policy or in the original agreement does it state that any change to the loan agreement will of course invalidate the cashback offer, This according to Firstplus includes any top up loan that you may accept from the many phone offers that you no doubt will recieve from them.

I only found this condition in very small print within the Wewlcome to Firstplus brochoure that was included with my cheques, It states there to refer to the main terms and conditions of the policy. In the main terms and conditions there is no mention of this at all. I have spoke to the OFT regarding this and they were interested and did take note of it, I will of course be submitting a formal written complaint to the OFT once I have settled other matters with Firstplus, Ge Money & Purpleloans.

I had previously Written twice to Firstplus regarding this and of course they never bothered to respond at all to my complaints.

You will be shocked at what they offer you if you try and cancel the PPI before the 5 years.. My pilicy cost £3388.10, after 3 years they offered me a refund of around £97.00 if I cancelled it.

I would advise you to submit a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to them to get copies of all the information that they hold regarding your account, to be fair to Firstplus they did respond quickly to my SAR.

One funny thing though, about a week after I had a summons served on Firstplus regarding the refund of the Early settlement Interest Penalty charge, I got a call from them, Offering me a new loan at a special rate as I was classed as a Good Customer...lol As soon as I said Dont think so..and that I have court action against them , I got the reply ..I will Ammend your file..lol.

I got a loan from Norther Rock with 5.8% APR fixed and I took PPI through Paymentcare.co.uk (at a fraction of the cost compared to Firstplus etc).

Good Luck

Ian

Ian,

Do you suggest any way of tackiling this early penalty as you 'll know it's not just the PPI that you get landed with but lawyers fees etc etc!!!

Guess what just poped through my Letter Box..lol

Letter from Firstplus regarding the Early settlement Interest Charge..

" This matter has been referred to our senior managers and legal advisers and whilst we do not accept the legal arguments you have raised and believe these to be Flawed, In the interests of resolving this matter swiftly and amicably, we are willing to offer the sum of (full amount) in full and final settlement of your claim, subject to receiving confirmation that you have withdrawn your action from the sheriff court.

I would point out that this additional refund is made with no admission of liabillity by Firstplus and is purely a gesture of Goodwill. "

I like Gestures of Goodwill...lol

Ian

just watching you on tv well done young man !!!

Thanks Sue...But got my face looks Fat on Telly...

Ian

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

First post so be gentle please

I took out a loan with FirstPlus (B*ggers) this time last year (desperation and naivity prevailed when I should have really just sorted out my budget and outgoings) and was lured into taking out the PPI with it. I was in two minds about the PPI but was persuaded/cajoled/slightly pressured into going ahead because of the cashback offer.

Currently i am remortgaging and am able to pay off FP. Figures I took out £40K with £9767 ppi (dont know why never normally take it but sounds good that you get it back after 5 yrs NOT) anyway got a settlement of £47598 unreal after paying off 13months at £400 pm.

Anyway i wrote to them explaining that i felt i was wrongly sold this, and after 2months got a reponse saying they had checked all the info and belive they sold it correctly which they would. So i phoned and said i was not happy yesterday and they will put it to upper management. Now they filled out all the forms i just signed for the loan.

Can you tell me what i am best to do? I think this is day light robbery they did not state that i would need to pay back this amount should i settle early. Whats my best line of attack?

Please help i am new to this sort of thing but want to get my money back.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...