BankFodder BankFodder

damianmvc

Damian Vs Citi Cards

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4892 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am now about to send off my LBA as their 14 days have expired, and I just got a fob off letter. I have cancelled my Direct Debit and missed one of my payments.

I then got a call from their Indian call centre telling me that I had missed the payment and had been charged £12, I explained that the payment was not due as the account is in dispute as they owe me a lot more than I owe them, and that they are fully aware of the pending court action. The collections man was very helpful and we had a long discussion about how they were penalties and laughed about how profitable it was to imposed these penalties and discussed how much I could make by doing the same thing with bad payers for my company. He also said that they were penalties and did not reflect the costs to Citi to make the phone call to remind me to pay and that they had reduced them from £25 to £12 not because the costs to collect the money had come down but because the public were not happy paying so much in penalty charges.

So I decided to tell him that I would call back in a minute and would pay as a good will gesture, despite the fact that Citi owe me more money than I owe them. I rang Citi cards, got their IVR saying welcome to Citi all calls are recorded etc, I didn’t have my card number so then it went through to the same call centre and had the same conversation with another chap, but this time I recorded it. I also made sure that he worked for Citi and fully represented Citi and was not from a DCA although I should not need to do this as citi's IVR is on my voice recording - so if I ring Citi they can not argue that he has nothing to do with them.

My question is ..... is it worth me taking this call recording along to court, how much weight does a citi employee working in the collections department have with the court when he is saying that they are penalties and do not represent the costs of his work in getting me to pay?

I think you should PM Bankfodder with this-he should be able to accurately advise you as to what can and can't be done with this

I would certainly advise anyone to routinely recxord all phone calls with anks and other organisations.

nfortunately the call is unlikely to be very useful if it is just the operator giving his own opinion.

If he had explained that he occupied a position of seniority or had access to official costings then it would be much more use.

You could use it to embarrass Citi although if the recording has the guy's name in it then it may just cause him a load of trouble for very little gain.

Citi may try to tell you that recoring without a warning is unlawful but I do not hold this view and nor to experts in this area