Coventry Building Society Charges

LJL
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I always keep my Coventry Building Society basic account in excellent order and in two years have only had 2 charges(2 x £20), both occurred on the same day when two standing orders bounced due to late payment of my wages.

I called the building society straight away to query the charges (this was in Nov 2005) and they removed one charge but not the other, at the time I thought 'fair enough'.

However I called them today to ask that in view of recent law changes would they be so kind as to refund the other £20, I got the reply that 'as the charges are clearly stated in our T & C's that the charges are not illegal and no refund would be made'

Now, this is only £20 so I don't want to kick up a fuss, however better the £20 be in my pocket, rather then theirs!

Where do I stand with building society's? Any advice would be great

Thanks

The charges are not illegal, but unlawful, which is a big difference. Look around the banking forums for info as lots of people make this mistake.

For such a small amount I would try writing to them explaining that:

* You think the remaining £20 charge is unfair as it obviously doens't cost them anywhere near to £20 for an automated system to bounce a payment

* That you have always kept your account in order and have continued to do so

* That you would like the £20 refunded and that although you have a been a loyal customer for X years you will have no option but close your account if they don't want to meet this request

A lot customer service centres will waive smaller fees with this tactic.

"Be reasonable, demand the impossible"