• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Orange & Moorcroft

Saint2K
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey All.

Is it possible to claim unfair charges back from a mobile phone operator? In this case orange.

Long story short, I failed to keep up repayments due to my financial situation on my Orange phone bill over 12 months ago.

I am currently on a self managed DMP and I have been paying Moorcroft Debt Recovery ever since Orange handed over the account to them.

My current balance is £720. It has just struck me now how high that is. I was only on a £25 a month tarrif.

So as I have asked on here, can I reclaim any charges against Orange? If so, is the procedure the same as that for bank charges?

Would I also have to notify Moorcroft that I am claiming back unfair charges from Orange, and therefore the account would have to be put on hold?

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All.

Is it possible to claim unfair charges back from a mobile phone operator? In this case orange.

Long story short, I failed to keep up repayments due to my financial situation on my Orange phone bill over 12 months ago.

I am currently on a self managed DMP and I have been paying Moorcroft Debt Recovery ever since Orange handed over the account to them.

My current balance is £720. It has just struck me now how high that is. I was only on a £25 a month tarrif.

So as I have asked on here, can I reclaim any charges against Orange? If so, is the procedure the same as that for bank charges?

Would I also have to notify Moorcroft that I am claiming back unfair charges from Orange, and therefore the account would have to be put on hold?

Thanks

Hi how much are the charges individually?

Hello.

I am currently in the process of reclaiming penalty charges back from my creditors.

However, as I am new to this I decided to start with Orange/Moorcroft Debt Recovery.

I was originally going to send Orange a DPA/SAR request to find out what I had been charged and take it from there.

However after speaking to a few people, I realise that claiming charges back from the operator 'Orange' maybe difficult as their is a lot of genuine cost involved in disconnecting lines and providing a service etc. This for the time being I am willing to accept.

Now Moorcroft are currently dealing with this debt which is about £720. Now I am unsure if Moorcroft have purchased this debt or they are simply representing Orange. I do know that they must have whacked a fair load of charges on the account as the balance has increased massively since I lasy checked.

So, would it be best to send a DPA/SAR to find out what information they hold on me including charges they have applied and also a CCA request to confirm that they have bought the debt and so forth?

What concerns me after reading other stories on other related forums is that if I do the CCA request, then they will pass the debt back to Orange and they will just apply straight for a CCJ. I have heard Littlewoods Catalogue Cards are guilty of doing this. Which then leaves you have to fight off the CCJ.

Has anyone sucessfully reclaimed charges from Moorcroft? Would it be wise todo what I have suggested above?

Also, if they refund charges, how do they do this? Back onto the account or by cheque? ... I am just worried due to me not having much money that if I have to launch a MoneyClaim then I will have to pay £50+ pounds which if I am sucessful will be refunded back to the account.

Actually, I have just thought, if you launch a MoneyClaim then if you win, they have to pay you by cheque?

Hello sgx.

You need as much information as you can glean about

1) the true debt

2) any charges imposed by Orange and

3) any charges added by Moorcroft.

So I think you should send the SAR to Orange and the SAR/CCA to Moorcroft. Your requests should state that, as the account balance is in dispute, they should suspend any further action until the dispute is resolved. This should preclude Orange from trying to obtain a CCJ (even if they did you would then have grounds to have the CCJ set aside).

As to whether you can reclaim monies paid to Moorcroft, well that will depend on the figures. If you still owe genuine debt and accept that you must pay it, then you don’t have a case for requesting a refund from Moorcroft. On the other hand, if you can prove that you have overpaid Moorcroft, you may have to issue a claim against them to get it! DCAs do not willingly give money back!

However, your financial situation may mean that you are exempt from paying the court fees. See this link http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/fees/exemption/index.htm

Keep posting on your progress.:)

Elsinore

• 3 months later...

They can only claim such penalty charges as to meet their liquidated losses & £500 seems a bit steep. So unless I'm wrong about the cost of disconnection................yes you can reclaim.

You can certainly write & ask them to justify their charge & it's no good them just claiming it's in the T's&C's The banks have been claiming that for ages & look where it got them

No they are not.

They are not allowed to impose a penalty no matter how long the contract has to run.

Like the banks they are only allowed to recover their liquidated losses which they must prove.

Anything else is unlawful

If the contract included a free phone would that constitute something that the phone company could include in an early termination charge?

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Well I think I shall send Orange an SAR/DPA request. See what exactly I have been charged and then go about claiming it back.

Has anyone on here tried reclaiming charges from any of the mobile operators?

If so, any advice, did you succeed?

Hello All.

Happy New Year :)

I am currently in the process of reclaiming bank charges from my various creditors over the years.

One of which was Orange, who after defaulting with them, passed on my debt to Moocroft. At this stage I am not 100% sure if Moorcroft are now the legal owners of the debt, but the old letters from Orange and my Credit File would seem to indicate that Moorcroft now do own the debt.

I want to reclaim whatever charges were levied against me in my final days with Orange. I realistically should only have owed them around £150, yet my current debt with Moorcroft stands at £750.

I believe I have been charged a disconnection fee (a very large one) by Orange and it would seem that Moorcroft keep charging me for something even though I am on a self managed DMP and I am repaying them at an agreed pro-rata rate each month.

So, what I want to do is reclaim any disproportionate charges levied against me by Orange, which I believe willo be the disconnection fee and I want to also reclaim whatever random charges Moorcroft have indeed been applying to my account.

Now, what would the cheapest way to go about this be?

I obviously need to send a SAR/DPA request to Orange to find out what charges where incurred and when etc.

I also need to find out what charges I have incurred from Moorcroft. Now I realistically do not want to send two £10 DPA cheques to both Orange and Moorcroft.

Can I simply write Moorcroft a letter asking for a balance and a copy of all charges and payments made to my account with them without having to put it as a DPA request?

Should I also send a CCA request? Actually, I probably should.

Has anyone on these boards successfully reclaimed charges from either a mobile operator like Orange or from a DCA such as Moorcroft?

I would be glad for some step by step help with this.

Hi there, i am only starting out with my plan against these people, one of them being moorcroft.

first i sent cca requests to everyone we are paying. IF they come up with the correct docs, i then send an SAR. in your position i think i would send SAR to both orange and moorcroft. moorcroft should not be adding any charges at all.

still, wait and see what someone else says, as i said ive not long been on this site and still finding my feet. i wish you success though:)

The agreement you had with Orange does not come under the Consumer

Credit Act, so the only way to get the details you need is to send them

both an sar. You don't have to do them at the same time, and if you have

to sue them to get your money, you can always claim the cost of the sar

as an additional cost.

If you read some ot the threads relating to Orange and Moorcroft, you will find those who have been successful. at the same time you will earn how they operate and what to expect as you chase them up.

If you haven't read the FAQS on the first page of the forum, take your time

and read through it and the step by step guide. I appreciate that they

were designed more for reclaiming bank charges, but the principles are the

same.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be interesting to follow. I am thinking of claiming back penalty charges. Any kind souls going/have been through the process?

Sorry, I've never read so much speculation in a CAG thread, and none of it based on fact. There are no 'penalty' charges when you attempt to bail out of a contract without keeping your site of the bargain. If you don;t want to be liable, you buy the phone outright as a Pay As You Go customer, the cost of the phone is the finaly price and you cannot be made to pay any more (unless there is a mandatory initial top-up advised).

Your contract length determines the p[rice you pay phone the phone, a free phone is not a 'free' phone, the price of the phone is dynamic and depends on the contract duration and the airtime package agreed to. Once supplied, its value is zero, hence there is no opportunity to return for a refund - but then if it was supplied on consideration of completing the contract, then the subscriber had better keep to the agreeemnt or suffer the consequenses of not completing the arrangement.

It is not in the least unusual that those wanting to terminate early are asked to pay their monthly rate X months left, It's a bad way to go as you miss out on all the inclusive minutes and deals that would be ongoing until the contract completion, but for some they just can't afford it - so have to make do with their credit file trashed as a result.

Paying off your contract is NOT a penalty, it is the customer keeping their side of the agreement. They may be subsequent penalties for non payment if the contract ends abruptly, but the phone has to be paid for one way or another. Why do people accespt there's no such thing as a free lunch, but think phones are somehow different?

As to the OP - I'm assuming the £500 you refer to is because you took out a contract and terminated early? The fee will probably cover the months left to run, so you probably cancelled very early on in the deal. As the phone probably cost around £450, I don't see this as being unreasonable. Would you like to expand on why you see it as a 'penalty'?

buzby Sorry but your wrong if the phone is supplied 'free of charge' then it is a free phone.

If there are conditions attached to the supply of the phone then it ain't free. If there is a requirement for the phone to be returned upon cancellation of the contract then they can only ask for it's return in good condition fair wear & tear accepted. Any telecoms contract can be cancelled at any time without penalty otherwise it's a breach of the UCCT Ask the OFT

Buzby. I have read many of your posts and your tone almost suggests a "what did you expect" reply!

Im not in any way attracting an argument but am often puzzled as to which side of the fence you sit. I have sometimes read posts where the op hasnt a 'legal leg to stand on' but have kept the spirit of my reply in keeping with the nature of this site.

Just wondering if you could elaborate on your expertise and inner thoughts? JonCris makes no secret of the fact that he is a lawyer and therefore I have always trusted his knowledge of the law.

buzby Sorry but your wrong if the phone is supplied 'free of charge' then it is a free phone.

If there are conditions attached to the supply of the phone then it ain't free. If there is a requirement for the phone to be returned upon cancellation of the contract then they can only ask for it's return in good condition fair wear & tear accepted. Any telecoms contract can be cancelled at any time without penalty otherwise it's a breach of the UCCT Ask the OFT

I really think you should get out more! The only thing correct in your posting was the date, and I really think you should stop giving CAG members false hope when there clearly is none.

A 'free' phone only means that the cost of it is factored in a different way, even the Advertising Standards Authority support dealers promoting products in this way. The phone WILL be free to the consumer, but ONLY if they fully comply with the contract terms under which the 'free' phone was supplied. Correct me if I'm wrong, but following your logic, if the recipient of a free phone lost it, they could simply ask for a replacement (again at no cost) and carry on with their contract? Not so, the cost of this phone to replace would be £500 or so, based on the true retail price and the fact there is no contract discount available the full price is payable.

As for your suggestion that a network would require a phone returned, what nonsense! A returned phone unless it it boxed and still new, has NO residual value and will have no bearing on the contract the consumer signed.

As for your assertion saying that any telecoms contract can be cancelled at any time without penalty, shows you do not even read the topics in this forum where this has happened. Please, until you have first-hand experience of what you are talking about, take out your own mobile contract and walk away, then see what happens to your credit record, and your 'understanding' of how the industry works.

Buzby. I have read many of your posts and your tone almost suggests a "what did you expect" reply!

Im not in any way attracting an argument but am often puzzled as to which side of the fence you sit. I have sometimes read posts where the op hasnt a 'legal leg to stand on' but have kept the spirit of my reply in keeping with the nature of this site. JonCris makes no secret of the fact that he is a lawyer and therefore I have always trusted his knowledge of the law.

Those requesting help on this site pose their questions and require a fair and honest response. There is no latitude to provide wooly supportive noises if, when there is absolutely no hope of achieving a resolution beneficial to the consumer, there is no prospect of finding a get-out. I think it grossly unfair to keep up unrealistic false hopes, is this really your suggestion? The spirit of this site is alive and well, but nobody is going to mislead by saying 'x' will never happen when there is a contract that the consumer has agreed to, and for circumstances beyonf their control they want to get out of it, they then claim shock and horror when someone points out that it might have been better if they hadn't signed the agreement in the first place. Networks are not swayed by sob-stories, court action and the trashing of credit records prove this.

However, there are occasions when the networks get it wrong and treat the consumer with contempt and it is those cases when it is possible to restore the balance and play them at their own game, but winning for the small guy. There are plenty of examples here where those that CAN justly claim their network has failed them, and we can advise accordingly.

If JonCris wishes to disclose his profession, that is his business, however having read his earlier response that a 'free phone' must be free or it is an 'unfair contract', exhibits a naivete that does not reflect how the mobile industry has worked for the last 22 years, and you can be sure that consumer contractural commitments are legally binding.

I shall respond to your objectionable post

To begin with I do have 1st hand experience of what I'm talking about 2nd as I have said if the phone comes with conditions (any conditions) then it ain't free no matter what is claimed by you or the supplier

As for the ASA forget it they are no authority in the matter of law whatsoever.

As for having to replace a 'lost' free phone with another free phone. No that's your logic not mine

Back to original OP & my original advice.

Their fee (which they must justify if asked) appears nothing more than a penalty charge & they ARE unlawful............unless they can prove them to be their true liquidated losses.

Also charging for the full or further term of the contract after cancellation is seen as unlawful..hence the current successes in reclaiming redemption fees

I shall respond to your objectionable post

Objectionable, just because I don't agree with your point of view and point this out?

To begin with I do have 1st hand experience of what I'm talking about 2nd as I have said if the phone comes with conditions (any conditions) then it ain't free no matter what is claimed by you or the supplier.

Want to try that again, but in a version we can all understand? I'm not claiming the phone is free, I suggest you ask a retailer to supply you with your free phone. It is subject to contract and a credit check, and if you don't like it I suggest you take it up with anyone who thinks you a making a valid point.

As for the ASA forget it they are no authority in the matter of law whatsoever.

The ASA are the final arbiter on whether an advertisement is truthful, misleading or inaccurate. They have held that a phone being advertised as 'free' can be, providing suiable prominence is given to any conditions. Looking at the latest Orange (January) sales catalogue, 36 handsets are marked as 'FREE' with the qualifier that this applies 'on talkplans of £25+'. They comply fully with all guidelines and if you feel they are in error, along with the other 5 UK networks, I suggest you try your logic out on them, and see how far that, or the courts get you.

As for having to replace a 'lost' free phone with another free phone. No that's your logic not mine

I was attempting to discover if you were attempting to state that as the phone was 'free' it had no value. Does it?

Back to original OP & my original advice.

Their fee (which they must justify if asked) appears nothing more than a penalty charge & they ARE unlawful............unless they can prove them to be their true liquidated losses.

Which fee is this then? Are you talking about the amount due in monthly airtime that customer was not planning to pay? These are fully covered by contract and are not liquidated lossses, but a consumer's commitment to complete for the period originally agreed. A contract is a commitment agreed to by both parties, if either do not perform, then the defaulter has to pay the price. This is not a CCA regulated environment, so if you wish to continue in providing false hopes, at least provide some evidence of any consumers who had walked away from a contract without a stain on their credit record, free phone or otherwise.

Also charging for the full or further term of the contract after cancellation is seen as unlawful..hence the current successes in reclaiming redemption fees

I have absolutley no idea what this refers to. Clearly after contract cancellation there is no liability, but if you are suggesting that someone who does not complete the terms if their contract is somehow not liable for those moths they do not require mobile service, can you explain your reasoning how a contract can be repudiated by one party and not be liable?