BankFodder BankFodder

smel24

Orange or Equifax to blame??

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4898 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is weird....

I first wrote to Orange requesting my Copy of Default Notice and £1 to receive a letter back saying:

"I wish to confirm that we have not recorded a default status as you have suggested".:)

So excitedly I telephone Equifax to ask about how I can have a mistake changed on my credit being that I had it in writing from Orange. The woman on the phone explained to me that although it says 'default' on the account it actually means 'delinquent' account i.e. I missed 4 or more payments on a row and that this cannot be removed.:confused:

Now I'm confused as it clearly says default in black and white on my file so how can it mean another?? Was the Equifax woman just trying to get me off the phone??

The second confusion is that at the end of Orange's letter it contradicts itself by saying:

"The account will remain on your credit file for six years from the date of the default".:x

I want to reply to Orange and ask plainly did they apply a default or not but I wonder if Equifax are correct in telling me that they don't it's just interpretted that way from the account not being paid.

What do I do?? :?:

I'm sure this affects everyone else if what the Equifax woman says is true.:!:

HSBC *WON* Total £3500

Capital One *WON* Total £385 plus removal of default

Next Disputing Default Notice - CRA's were very unhelpful, am going to make a complaint to OFT/FSA and considering court action following this.

For the Husband:

NatWest Current Account *WON* Total £3500 plus removal of default

Yes Car Credit PPI Posting SAR and first letter this week...

Next up...

HFC Loan - PPI

It is important to understand that being in default and having a default notice served on you are two entirely different things. Does Equifax state you are in default or a default notice has been served ? As the person from Equifax says, being in default is simply not being up to date with payments (delinquent), a default notice is a legal statement and will have been sent to you from Orange.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

Now that I understand, thank you LondonPam!

Well at least myself and my boyfriend have less default notices than we originally thought :)

Equifax did say it was a defaulted account and NOT a default notice. However, I read my credit file as it was a default so will companies do the same? :???:

HSBC *WON* Total £3500

Next Disputing Default Notice - CRA's were very unhelpful, am going to make a complaint to OFT/FSA and considering court action following this.

For the Husband:

Next up...

HFC Loan - PPI

Unfortunately, the term default has further opportunities for confusion as will be found when there are payment issues with contracts are not CCA regulated. A mobile firm can text to say your account is delinquent and they are treading your contract as being in Default... which legally means nothing - but the CRAs note it in the same way as if you received a formal CCA Default Notice, which would have to have been in a letter formally sent to your with notice of how to remedy it. Either way, it is the consumer who suffers.

Thanks for this useful information Busby, I didn't realise quite how confused the CRA's system is regarding credit not under the CCA. :(

So what option does this leave for consumers? Obviously I have no default with Orange but it shows as I do.

Is my only option to add a note to this part of my credit file to state that it was deliquent at this time and not an official default?

Cheers! :roll:

HSBC *WON* Total £3500

For the Husband:

Next up...

HFC Loan - PPI

You can do this, but the only person who will read this Notice of Clarification is you, or a creditor doing a manual search (hardly any do). These searches are automated and these manual Notes are not seen. To be fair, delinquent/default are terms that are used interchangeably and in the scale of things, on its own won't mean much.