BankFodder BankFodder

surreyzone

Surreyzone vs. Natwest - working out charges and interest

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4847 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I would love to pointed in the right direction on charges and interest. I have already seen the downloadable spreadsheets but am getting in a twist.

:x

Guest NATTIE

Welcome to the CAG. Have you worked out the charges yet?

How nice to see you "Natweststaffmember"

To be honest I have not managed to fathom what to do!?! I feel I need to persevere with Advanced spread sheet since a large part of my claim will be due to being O/D quite heavily. I have neglected chasing private banking and I am now wondering whether my o/d limit has been kept to its old level - which will mean I have been paying off larger amounts monthly by way of salary and div's, but based on non-salary linked increased borrowing limit. The last O/D limit I can see is for £4,200 in statements from 2000. it's approx 29% beyond the limit as you know. In the last few years I have been going O/D (quite heavily in some cases) and paying it off monthly - sometimes going in credit or just staying slightly under water.

I can see some "paid referral fees" which are charges levied in lieu of letters sent to me (correct me if I get anything wrong by all means). Also, "unarranged borrowing fees." Is this simply a charge for going beyond the (credit zone) limit? The first such charge has been deducted (under 'date' in statements) on 30th Nov 2000. This is for £14. it simply says " UNARRGD BORROW FEE 2ND OCT - 5 NOV £14 PER PERIOD" Does this mean that if I go over the O/D limit within 2nd Oct - 5th Nov (regargless of how much or how many times) the fee is £14:00?

I have seen all manner of threads on interest. I have seen that the 8% (court interest) is not to be added when approaching the bank to request money back in the first instance.

What am I actually looking to charge Natwest though? I can see from statements in 2000 that the rate for borrowing up to £4,200 is 16.99% PA. (my credit zone rate - at this time) When exceeding this level the excess was charged at the unarranged borrowing rate (then) 29.5%. What exactly should I be claiming back? Is it the interest charged to my account at the difference between 16.99% and 29.5% on borrowings in excess of my credit zone?

Agreed that £25-30 per letter is a nonsense. I add these charges to the spread sheet (the first reason I registered was because of these charges - but started to read other stories/threads) but interest on these £25 charges should accumulate at what level in my claim? I see that I accrue interest from the date it was deducted from my account to the date of the court claim? (or is it the date of my first approach to the bank?) - Arggh... !!!

Another area that starts to get tricky is where the accumulation of all those charges (with added interest at x) leaves my C/A with a growing negative cash drag of charges. Presumably themselve contributing to the undebtedness and O/D position either more frequently or by greater cash amount.

Am I over complicating things here? Also, the advanced spread sheet is not tooting it all up for some reason. HELP! please...

Surreyzone

Interestingly, I recall challenging Natwest staff (from time to time) re "paid ref fees" and I see 19th Dec 2000 "RFND:PAID REFERRAL FEE" and £25 put back into my account. How do I account for this in my spread sheet? Shall I ignore it and focus on the charges and fees? (How un-gentlemenly).

I am litigeous by nature and more than happy with whatever they decide tp throw at me. I think it's the calcs part that is going to undo me! I also read another example of someone getting back their full claim plus 600%. How? Was it Natwest simply not wanting their day in court?

Guest NATTIE

Ok, my expertise is not in the spreadsheets so apologies. Paid referral Fees is the bank paying an item when the account is over £26 over any agreed or unagreed overdraft. It is claimable of course and I am sure other will advise on spreadsheets.

Thanks for the speedy response and happy new year. Back to work tomorrow.