Flipster Vs Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all!

Just signed up today, hello one and all!

I took a look through my online banking statements with the Halifax which went back a couple of years, and it totalled just over two and a half grand!

As a result, I intend to just claim for these as I'm reasonably sure there isn't very much prior to the last couple of years. Does this make a difference, i.e that I'm only intending to claim a couple of years as opposed to six?

I've got it all printed off and ready to go with the letter - intending to send first thing registered post!

Wish me luck, and thanks for such a fabulous resource!

Happy new year!

-F

I would still send the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) if u havent already sent it, You might be surprised as to how much is there and also the SAR asks the bank to detail any record of manual intervention on your account. They will more than likely tell you that there is no record of such a thing on your account and this will strengthen your case as you will have this from them in writing.

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

I would still send the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) if u havent already sent it, You might be surprised as to how much is there and also the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) asks the bank to detail any record of manual intervention on your account. They will more than likely tell you that there is no record of such a thing on your account and this will strengthen your case as you will have this from them in writing.

Thanks Tez! :)

Well - I got impatient and posted off my 14Day letter and Charge dates attached! Lets wait and see what the Halifax make of it... I am a bit worried as I have a credit card account (up to it's limit/blocked but with no over-limit) and a fully up to date unsecured loan - that they might decide they're entitled to refund the money but absorb it elsewhere? Nothing would surprise me with this lot...

Only if you are in arrears with another HBOS account would they make internal transfers to settle those debts.

Example: If you make a claim and it gets refunded to your Hx bank account, but you owe them £400 to the credit card, then they can take that from the bank account without consulting you! Their Terms and Conditions allow them to do this.

If, on the other hand, you owe them nothing, they should not take it.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Only if you are in arrears with another HBOS account would they make internal transfers to settle those debts.

Example: If you make a claim and it gets refunded to your Hx bank account, but you owe them £400 to the credit card, then they can take that from the bank account without consulting you! Their Terms and Conditions allow them to do this.

If, on the other hand, you owe them nothing, they should not take it.

Hey, thanks Hillards!

I don't owe anything "OVER" per se, but they closed my credit card when it was "at limit" (as opposed to "over limit") due to innappropriate usage :confused: I think it's because I often went over, but immediately went back into limit again (stupid, I know).

Got a letter saying they wouldn't be issuing a replacement when the current card expires, and to continue making payments as normal. Online banking, it just says "closed"...

OK - when you reach near-settlement stage, make part of your requirements a condition that they pay you back by cheque rather than into your Hx bank account.

IF, and I don't know for certain, there is any way they can take cash from your account then you want to avoid it really...

I got a condition in my first offer from them that that would take £174 of the settlement to repay my former overdraft. It was stated in the same letter that said account had been closed by head office and the outstanding balance 'written off', so they couldn't have it both ways !

OK, so my account WAS closed, but they claim it was unrelated to my claiming charges back.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Ah... Nice idea, thanks!

Just reading between the lines then, did they actually close your account as a result of making the claim? No other reason - or had you closed the account/defaulted prior?

Rather than re-type it all, the story is in my thread: My Halifax Thread - HERE

Also read more here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/55253-old-djs-old-hx.html

"Thank you for your letter, which was received... blah blah blah blah

I am very sorry to learn that you are unhappy with charges applied to your account

We're keen to deal with... Blah blah blah blah

You will find enclosed a copy of our leaflet which tells you how we will handle you complaint etc etc"

The irony being - They didn't even include the leaflet, cheapskates! Just the letter!

Should I complain about not receiving the leaflet about how to complain? :D

14 Days and counting... Here we go!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they received my letter into their office on the 3rd (By their own admission) - So I guess it's fourteen days tomorrow? So the fun begins Thursday does it?

Here's hoping there's a nice big fat cheque in the post tomorrow morning... What are my chances do you reckon?..:rolleyes:

Well, they received my letter into their office on the 3rd (By their own admission) - So I guess it's fourteen days tomorrow? So the fun begins Thursday does it?

Here's hoping there's a nice big fat cheque in the post tomorrow morning... What are my chances do you reckon?..:rolleyes:

Erm... I wrote the above a bit tongue in cheek - fully expecting the battle to commence; then what should I receive today?

"I would like to offer you a refund of £XXXX"

THE FULL AMOUNT!!!!

It had the usual stuff about how they were entitled to charge me, and they will in future etc etc, but it was -- to be fair -- quite a nice pleasant letter in general.

I have to return the signed acceptance form to say it fully settles my complaint, which I intend to do in the morning!

Thank you CAG. Donation on the way!

CONGRATULATIONS FLIPSTER.......!!!

An easy one, have fun spending your money :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Nice one Flipster, another success story!

Just out of interest, how are they going to pay you as I remember you had issues about them paying straight into your closed account etc?

Flipster,

Are yousaing that Halifax paid you the FULL amount after you had only sent in the pre lim letter, or did you send in the LBA??

If they paid the full amount straight from the prelim, it must be one of the only times that it's happened..!! - certainly makes me feel happy, just got my '... we'll respond within 4 weeks ..' letter

Congrats - and here's to more successful claims...

Survivor :D

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you! I was surprised muself!!

Nice one Flipster, another success story!

Just out of interest, how are they going to pay you as I remember you had issues about them paying straight into your closed account etc?

Popped a note in with the acceptance letter asking to be paid by cheque! We'll see...

Flipster,

Are yousaing that Halifax paid you the FULL amount after you had only sent in the pre lim letter, or did you send in the LBA??

Survivor :D

Yes... 15 days exactly from the date they said they had received my first letter!

Like I say, it was actually quite a reasonable pleasant response. They had the usual veiled threats in there, but there was a lot of nice customer service stuff too...

Maybe the Halifax are turning over a new leaf!?? :)

Yes... 15 days exactly from the date they said they had received my first letter!

Like I say, it was actually quite a reasonable pleasant response. They had the usual veiled threats in there, but there was a lot of nice customer service stuff too...

Maybe the Halifax are turning over a new leaf!?? :)

Well here's hoping - they rec'd my prelim on 15th Jan - fingers crossed...;-)

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.