Bank discrimination

swarfmaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied to open a Barclays account online. got a letter this morning asking me to go to a branch with proof of identity to confirm my address and identity. the only documents that Barclays will accept as proof of identity are:

*A full Passport or National Identity card issued by a European Community Country or

*A UK Photocard Driving Licence or a UK full PaperDriving Licence or

*A UK Armed Forces Identity Card.

The problem is:

1. My passport expired in 1989 and as I don't go abroad I don't need a new one.

2. I'm Registered Blind and, strangely, the authorities won't let me have a Driving Licence. I wonder why?

3. I'm not a member of the Armed Forces.

I attended my local branch this lunch time, taking with me various other forms of photo ID but because I did not have the forms of ID that they will accept, they declined to complete my application.

I was told that the branch manager would telephone me, but 4 hours later........ go on, have a guess as to whether s/he has phoned me.

So, because of 1,2 & 3 above Barclays are denying me access to a Bank Account.

Do you think that this is discrimination that might be addressed by the Disability Discrimination Act?

If it doesn't say a CURRENT passport, your old one should be accepted. It it does, then you have a problem, yes.

I don't think it's discrimination, no, sorry. It is reasonable of the banks to insure themselves of your identity. If you choose not to have your passport renewed, it is not the bank's responsability, and, however much it pains me to side with them, I can't see that they are doing anything wrong in this instance (unless it's case scenario as in 1st paragraph).

However ludicrous it might seem, the only ones who could be construed as discriminating are the DVLA who are not letting you have a driving license on account of your blindness... Although I suspect there's something to cover them in that eventuality.

The very strict rules about ID are to guard against money laundering and to try and stop terrorist/criminals opening accounts etc. It all a waste of time. What they do is oppen accountss in part of Africa or Asia that don't ask 'to may questions' when you want to deposit millions. They then open 'private banking' accounts with the millons from the Africa/Asia account and then transfer the off shore account to the UK branch.

So in the long run it has effect on crime but yet again its the general public like us that end up with all the hassle!

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Bookworm,

The letter mentions nothing about a passport being CURRENT.

I took with me the photo ID Card issued by my employer, who is a neighbouring local council. I also had with me the photo ID Card issued by Guide Dogs for the Blind Association as well as one other photo ID. I had all other identifiers asked for such as utility bills, Council Tax bill, etc.

So what is the problem? They know that I am resident t the address they sent the letter to. They know that my name is on all of the documents I can produce and that the out of date passport bears my picture so I can't see what their ****ing problem is

There's no need to get angry at me here. You asked if we thought you had a case for discrimination.

In my opinion, no.

Do feel free to check with a qualified legal person, though. If I'm wrong, please let me know, I'm always happy to learn.

Personally, I would go back in there and create a stink because their own qualifier does not rule out an out of date passport, and it should therefore be acceptable.

PS: As a matter of interest, which bank is it?

In relation to the direct question. No I don't think its discrimination. A bank is a company and as such as the right to set its own rules for accessing its service, but these new ID rules are from government and the have to demand ID - they have no choice.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

It is actually a very good point you raise, although from my own experience it was not about disability.

Like you, I don't have any of those documents, as I don't need them. I was incredibly frustrated that as a taxpaying, ***aged male, I found myself in the position that I was unable to prove my identity to an unelected body. This was compounded by the fact that this was a necessity. In the end I had to apply for a copy of my birth certificate.

If a 'disabled' person, who is so obviously known to the state, cannot use a 'disability' certificate for proof of identity, or for myself a proof of my history with the IR, then we really are in a sad and sorry state.

I think you are right. Whilst they may not be proactively discriminating, they are certainly being selective, which must surely go against one of the rules that they need to follow for having a consumer credit license.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Bookworm,

Sorry if I came across as being angry at you. This was not my intention and I do apologise if I offended you. The bank in question is Barclays.

Maxie,

Yes, they have to establish identity, but I don't believe that there is anything laid down as to what form this must be in. As for money laundering, I don't think that the DLA I that was going to put into the account would qualify. Yes, they can set their own rules, but they can't use rules that exclude Disabled people. If they do so then they are contravening the Disability Discrimination Act. I wonder how many blind people have a driving licence? Now, as it happens, I *do* have one. It's out of date as it shows the address I was living at 2 years ago. I can't change it as DVLA, rightly, will not let me renew it. Just think of the carnage if I were to start driving again!!!!!!!!!

Spiceskull,

Do you know anything about the rules regarding the Consumer Credit Licence. This might be an avenue i can explore.

Do you know anything about the rules regarding the Consumer Credit Licence. This might be an avenue i can explore.

I don't, but I can look into it. However, this is not likely to be very soon, but I will try my best.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I understand that you feel annoyed and possibly discriminated against by the bank, but I honestly dont think it has anything to do with Disability Discrimination.

If fact they would reject anyone without a Passport, driving Licence, or Armed Forces ID. There anre many non-disabled people in the country without any of these and they would all be rejected along with yourself, therefore they are not discriminating against any one group.

Instead they are just being complete and utter idiots and unfortunately being stupid isnt against the law.

Would be interested tho see how an expired passport goes though. Is it still legally a passport once its expired?

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

1/3 offered by phone 20/04/06 - Rejected

BCT Status

Statements Recieved 31/03/06

Capital One Status

Recieved Lie/Reply 24/04/06

It's still a valid proof of ID, yes. (within limits, I don't think your 20 yo photo would be necessarily acceptable when you're 94), but you can't use it to travel abroad. (Although it has been known to be accepted within the EEC, depends on the customs officer)

Sorry Swarf, I don't think you have a valid point here.

If the bank only allowed driving licencses, then I think you would have a point, but any UK citizen can get a passport, it's your choice not to renew yours.

Why should you be allowed to bring in an association of the blind id when someone else would be unable to bring in an SIA registration ID for instance. Both government agencies.

Whilst I sympathise with your delay, the UK banks have to work to FSA guidlines (God I'm defending them here) money laundering and fraud is a huge problem for the UK banks, they have to be strict in insisting on certain types of ID only.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Deemacperth,

sorry, but why should I have to fork out for a passport just so that I can open a bank account. I don't want nor need a passport, I don't go abroad, it's full of foriegners. ;-)

What's SIA ? Incidently GDBA is not a government agency. It is a charity that receives zilch from the government.

Whilst I agree with the anti-money laundering legislation I believe that Barclays policy disenfranchises a sizable sector of society.

I did also offer my works ID and as I work for a local council and have been vetted via the Criminal Records Bureua I would have thought that that was proof enough of who I am.

The money I was intending to deposit in this account was coming from the government, so unless HMG is being naughty, I'm not doing any laundry :-)

Sorry, I thought GDBA was a goverment agency, SIA is the security industry agency, just one I picked up off the top of my head.

Until we introduce the ID card my good chap, you really should renew your passport.

Although, you may be able to argue that your governmental ID card comes under an armed forces ID card, I was able to use my old MOD pass before.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

• 1 month later...

;) Another solution is to get someone who has an account at a particular bank to vouch for you. Lloyds TSB for one allow this.

If you were on any sort of benefit, (and without the specified documents you mentioned), then proof of benefits payment suffices for those wishing to open a Basic Bank or Post Office Card Account. If you can open these types of account without the ‘so called’ required proof of ID, you should IMHO be able to open other types of account too.

:) Here's how you can take control of your own ID:

With support form the Consumers Action Group, maybe the Financial Service Industry would consider another method of ID fraud protection (Proof of ID) for account opening, The system negates the needs for consumers to produce documents which they may not have. Documents provided for account opening purposes maybe stolen or forged.

Here’s how to deter this and protect yourself:

Neil Munroe, a director at Equifax, said, “It is certainly one answer and makes a lot of sense.”

Taking Identity Fraud in Hand:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/3574779.stm

http://www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNews.php?navID=34&newsID=3685

I see no reason why someone embracing the above system should have any problem applying to open new bank accounts, or apply for plastic cards.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks