BankFodder BankFodder

Sign in to follow this  
diabolical

Reasons for closing accounts?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4842 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm thinking that banks do this sometimes because a customer who has already gone to court over charges is extremely likely to claim again and the bank see closing an account purely as a damage limitation. It must be very worth their while to keep the collection of customers who do get charges (customers who don't know they can claim back). Could this be unlawful, treating individual customers differently on this basis, and moreover how could it be proved?

Halifax - Credit Card: 14/11/06 sent S.A.R, 29/12/06 sent Prelim, 11/01/07 1st bog-off received, 15/01/07 LBA sent, 01/02/2007 MCOL started for £1801 (inc court costs and 8% int.), 02/02/2007 MCOL cancelled... , 09/06/2007 Court claim started, 01/06/2007 Claim Acknowledged, 07/06/2007 Claim concluded, £1540 to be reimbursed into CC account.

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Storecards (3): 11/06/07 sent S.A.R, 15/06/07 Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Wife's Storecards (2): not started yet...

Nationwide - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Business A/C: not started yet...

and the rest I haven't remembered so far... : not started yet...

Guest Battleaxe

Caveat Emptor. The banks will continue to prey on the unsuspecting and it is a case of buyer beware because we are buying the banks 'services'. it is up to us to educate the unsuspecting. This is another reason I have volunteered to work for a vredit union and help educate those who need the most help against the practices out in there in the shark pool.

I thought of a possible breach of Chapter II of the Competition Act (abuse of a dominant position) if a particular bank seems to do this a lot more than other banks do, as by 'weeding out the customers who would most likely claim' it would give them huge advantage over other banks financially.

Halifax - Credit Card: 14/11/06 sent S.A.R, 29/12/06 sent Prelim, 11/01/07 1st bog-off received, 15/01/07 LBA sent, 01/02/2007 MCOL started for £1801 (inc court costs and 8% int.), 02/02/2007 MCOL cancelled... , 09/06/2007 Court claim started, 01/06/2007 Claim Acknowledged, 07/06/2007 Claim concluded, £1540 to be reimbursed into CC account.

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Storecards (3): 11/06/07 sent S.A.R, 15/06/07 Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Wife's Storecards (2): not started yet...

Nationwide - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Business A/C: not started yet...

and the rest I haven't remembered so far... : not started yet...

Guest Battleaxe

We know A & L have made this a policy, so maybe there is case against them. As yet they have not closed our account and they know I am having a second go at them. of course we have an active O/D with them, to which they keep adding charges, so with the best will in the world these charges are are outstripping what we are paying them to reduce the O/D.

I think Co-Operative and Natwest are doing the same. maybe a poll should be posted and we can see which banks have been proactive with account closures. it would be straw poll, but could be used regarding the Act.

Guest NATTIE

NatWest closing account when someone claims charges? Did I read that correctly?

NatWest are not as far as I am aware closing accounts when someone claims against them.

Guest Battleaxe

Natty,

I could be wrong on this one, but I thought I had read that natwest had done this to someone in the group. Hey I am first to put my hand up if I am wrong. I don't want to be done for slander or libel.

~it's good having you here

Guest NATTIE

some accounts are with Credit Management Services prior to action so the process of closing the account would already have been started so i am sure some will have been closed but the initial process of doing so would have begun prior to the initial approach

I think accounts get closed when they are generally poorly run and still are, if the account in question has had charges but the customer isn't still gaining them then the account doesn't get closed. Am sure the banks view customers who can't pay dd's, go over overdrafts etc as customers they are unlikely to make money off via any other methods and so want shot of them.

Guest Battleaxe

Funny thing this, we never had a serious problem until the internet fraud. the bank was quite happy to pile the charges on, so when I retaliated and wanted my money back, that's when the bank got snaky. Even when it was proved to be fraud, the bank did not refund the charges, an kept processing our information to the CRA's. they want shot of us because this could get even nastier. The last three months with the new bank, not one failed transaction and we are in the black very nicely. my second parachute account is also functioning nicely, not one letter or charge. so who is in the wrong. we are on an even lower income, have not changed our lifestyle in any way, so who is at fault? i am refusing to give in to any threat or pressure now I know the score with these other shylocks, as the problems with them escalated when the original bankers failed in their duty of due care to us. i am now fixing the domino effect and picking up some law along the way and fighting back, because the other banks and loan companies would not listen as how things happened, so I gatting back what is rightfully mine with interest and then put things back to the way they were originally.

it also begs the question, why is the original still keeping the account open, when it wrote and threatened to close it after I made the initial claim? Maybe it will happen when I have the second bite of the cherry.

Well, I am not saying this is the case just making an assumption. My wife and myself opened a step account recently with Natwest. Both have the same credit history and both have the same circumstances. Both opened the account online. Mine was setup no problems and I am still actively using the account. My wifes was opened only to be shut 2 days later and was never used. The only reason I can think this to be is she made a claim from Yorkshire bank. This is the only difference between us I can possibly think off. They sent a letter saying they did not want her as a customer and are not willing to discuss why with her etc etc asking her not to contact them again regarding banking with them.

I am a consumer helping other consumers. Together we can and will make a differance. Please double check any information or advise I may give as I like yourself am learning as I go along in life.

1) give a small donation to this site to keep it going because without this forum I would know nothing.

2) Use your experience to help somone else on another thread.

Please do not PM me, my mail address is my username at this site address . I will not under any circumstances give out advise or help through mail, only on the open forum, however feel free to mail me to point me towards your thread and general talk etc.

Guest Battleaxe

We opened our account on line with Natwest no problems. I have since told NatWest the reason for opening the account with them, so they know the score. Our account was opened in joint names and has been running without a problem for three months.

Natweststaffmember might be able to shed light on why things happened with your wife Ozzywizard. It seems rather terse they way your wife has been treated.

Sign in to follow this