• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Old DJ v Halifax One CC*** Settled by Consent***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK - I'm about to start out on my next claim, this time for my Halifax One credit card account. I can't send the SAR until I get some money, but should have a cheque from the Hx any day now for my bank account claim.

Despite reading loads of threads on here, the majority of which are for bank accounts, I'm a little unsure of my ground this time. Given that the OFT have forced them to lower charges to £12 is this still seen to be an unlawful charge? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of claiming charges that are now deemed to be fair, and have no chance of reclaiming, even though I don't think they are fair personally.

I know I've a default notice on my credit record for this one, but it's not yet been passed out of their internal collections department to their in-house debt collectors, Blair Oliver & Scott. At least I've not had any correspondence to that effect and the last time I spoke to anyone at the Hx they were still dealing with it at the Leeds office.

I need to gather together my statements, I've had the account less than two years so should not need to wait for statements to calculate the costs, but I am adding in a request for ALL data they hold on me for this account, including copies of the information they type into their screens when they've spoken to you and a full record of all calls their dialler system has made to my numbers - even if they didn't get through.

Someone has already told me I need to state ' All records held in either a Physical. Digital or Magnetic format' as part of the SAR

Part of my action will be a claim for compensation for the hassle they've caused with those phone calls - getting me up at 8am when I've not got to bed until 5am etc. I feel that the calls were harassment and that they did not take any notice of my letters explaining my situation. They only stopped calling when I sent the harassment letter, and even then I had to call again to get it sorted properly.

As my Hx bank account has been closed I've no reason to tread carefully with this one, at worst they can issue a demand for full repayment of the debt, pass it on to a collection agency, take it to court for a CCJ - none of which worries me as it's heading that way without me making a fuss. I can't pay it, they know that, so I can't really avoid their actions in that area.

I just need to be sure of my claim before I start action. Until I pull my information together I'm not even sure if I had any charges that were above £12. Even if this claim is successful, the refund will probably be taken against the balance owing rather than coming my way. Again, I cannot argue with that too much as the charges have been added since my payments stopped, with perhaps a couple of late payment fees charged last year.

From what I can tell, they are charging £12 a month for being over limit, plus £12 a month late fee, plus about £29-£30 a month in interest, at 23.95%pa. This means the debt is getting worse by over £65 a month.

I did try and ask that the account be passed to debt collection, rather than retail bank collections holding on to it. They told me that it had not reached that stage yet. If anything, that should have stopped the interest etc. being added - but they don't want to play.

I've not paid anything directly since February 2005, when I lost my job. However, they did take payments directly from my bank account - which is what caused all my recent problems in the first place! The last 'payment' was in August. At least they can't take any more!

It seems that it will be a while before I can send my prelim request, as I'll no doubt have to wait weeks for the data to come though, but thought I ask a few questions about this now.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the OFT have forced them to lower charges to £12 is this still seen to be an unlawful charge? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of claiming charges that are now deemed to be fair, and have no chance of reclaiming, even though I don't think they are fair personally.

OFT said they would take action if charges were more than £12, nowhere have they said it's fair. All charges that don't reflect true costs are unlawful. The Money Programme said no-way would any charge be more than £4.50. As they have charged £12 and that figure wouldn't represent their true cost, it make the entire £12 invalid and reclaimable.

Halifax - Credit Card: 14/11/06 sent S.A.R, 29/12/06 sent Prelim, 11/01/07 1st bog-off received, 15/01/07 LBA sent, 01/02/2007 MCOL started for £1801 (inc court costs and 8% int.), 02/02/2007 MCOL cancelled... , 09/06/2007 Court claim started, 01/06/2007 Claim Acknowledged, 07/06/2007 Claim concluded, £1540 to be reimbursed into CC account.

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Storecards (3): 11/06/07 sent S.A.R, 15/06/07 Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Wife's Storecards (2): not started yet...

Nationwide - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Business A/C: not started yet...

and the rest I haven't remembered so far... : not started yet...

hilli I can tell you on s/in/laws statements they only changed to £12 in aug this year all the rest are £25 for both late fees and overlimit fees plus as you say interest and re my own thread on all are 2 interest payments 1 11 /16 pounds .....and the other around the 50 pound mark and I still believe I should be adding the small one to his claim

his balance is now £5000 and still going up by the month

kegi

OK, thanks for those comments. I will check my statements carefully and as long as I've at least one above £12 I'll be going for it. Just didn't want to start a battle I couldn't hope to win. :lol:

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

When I start on my credit card I'm going to be claiming the lot!!! As stated above the true cost is no more than £4.50 so £12 is still over the top. Just how much longer are they going to keep you waiting for your draft? Didn't you settle some time before Christmas:sad:

Hilli, are you going to claim all charges or just the ones over £12 mate?

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

I think this may be the point where I ask a moderator to advise, as I'm not 100% sure myself.

There's plenty of info on what to do re. bank charges, but not a lot about credit cards, especially after the banks have reduced those to £12.

I may have found the answer in http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/24031-frequently-asked-questions.html?garpg=2

Q. I saw something about the OFT..... Can credit cards charge me £12?

A. NO. The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) issued a directive to credit card companies to set a point at which they (the OFT) would intervene on behalf of the consumer. They did not state that £12 was lawful - in fact they stated that only a court can decide. "A fair default charge should not exceed a reasonable estimate of certain limited administrative costs which the credit card issuer reasonably expects to incur as a result of default"

In other words - reclaim the full amount unless they are willing to show the evidence of what it does cost.

In other words, if I feel that £12 is too much then I should claim and let ther company tell me how much it has really cost them. :D

Just goes to show how good this site is, I must have read that section 3 or 4 times previously, but I've looked again and there was the info I needed!

Nice one m8, Im takin on mint and capital one now and am claiming for all charges ( unless they can provide the illustrious breakdown ) good luck with yours m8, mine will be in another section so u probably wont see much of it.

This site is pretty amazing though, I just found out that ppl are reclaiming early redemption charges from mortgages etc and I paid out 2 grand to Bank of Scotland a couple of years ago so am debating looking into that.

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

• 1 year later...

A l-o-n-g time since I was last on here and I'm afraid I didn't follow through on the action I started. I sent a SAR request with a £10 PO in January 2007. Due to ill health I didn't keep track of things and I never got anything back from the Halifax at the time. I have looked all over and cannot find the receipt for the PO but do have a scan of the PO itself, so may be able to find out if it was cashed.

In the meantime it seems that the debt has been sold off, which I thought was wrong if the matter was in dispute. I have had a couple of letters from various companies claiming that I owe them a heck of a lot more than the last balance I saw.

My preferred route is to resume action for reclaiming excessive charges and see where that goes, but this may be fruitless if they've sold the account?

I'm not working so money is as tight as ever, although I realise that I'll not actually see any cash from following this through. They will, quite rightly, use any award to reduce the balance.

I'll have to dig out the last letter(s) sent and call the Hx to find out where to go next I guess.

• 2 months later...

I'll put an update in, even though things don't seem to have progressed very much.

When DCA's have called I always insist they stop telephoning and communicate in writing only. Most of the time it does not work, they still keep on calling...

I've refused to deal with the DCA's on the grounds that I was claiming repayment of charges directly from the Halifax and therefore I considered that the account was in dispute as far back as March 2006, when I was put out of work.

However, when I telephoned the Halifax a few weeks ago, they informed me that they could not deal with the account as it had been sold to a DCA.

A strange thing happened today - the post came and I opened up an envelope containing a statement from Halifax One !!! (Recent date, not one that had been lost in the post for months)

On the first page it says "If you have a problem with your agreement, please try to resolve it with us in the first instance.". I have a feeling I am now going to be resuming the action started almost 30 months ago...

Originally I disputed the excessive charges. The letter I got back then was just to say all such claims were being held pending a decison in court etc. Despite sending a £10 PO, I never got my statements or anything, so I need to remind them about that. I did check with the Post Office in Chesterfield, who deal with PO's, and they say it was not cashed.

I was very particular to inform the card services people that they had caused my Halifax bank account to be closed and that no more payments could be extracted that way. I need to know what has been added to this account since they 'suspended' it all that time ago. Any charges at all will be disputed as I understood it had been put on hold.

It could be slow going. I'm still not working, so anything requiring payment will have to wait, like stamps, bus to post office to post things... My health has not improved, if anything it's worse as I can not stand to walk more than half a mile or so before I'm totally out of breath. I'm looking at making a claim as disabled, have an appointment for that in a week or two.

What I am debating doing is to write to the Halifax. Go back over the history of this card, the fact that I put in a SAR, they told me to wait to claim, that it's been to DCA's and now they send me a statement - so they are still active on the account...

I'll see what they have to say and will then go back to procedure to make a claim I think. I'll also be pointing out that I'm not working, am looking at registering as disabled/incapacitated, and don't even get benefits.

If anything has changed, bear in mind this is a Halifax CC, not a bank account, I'd appreciate someone telling me. I have spent a fair bit of time reading various threads already.

At this rate it will be statute barred before any agreement is made!

Wow, long time since i saw you. :)

Seeing as you never actually received your statements or had no proof Halifax received your request, and it was a long time ago (over a year) then im afraid you are going to have to start over again.

First thing is to get the statements so you know where you are.

A lot of claims are going through as hardship now, and by what you have just said, you should come under the hardship criteria.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Just a quick query - is there any way to negate the £10 fee if I am suffering hardship?

I sent them a PO before, which was not cashed, so would sending them a scan of that be enough?

I simply can't afford it this month...

If you have a scan of the postal order and proof of posting, then you can try sending them copies of it to prove it was sent.

Also if you still have the reference number from it, which you will have on the scan, contact Royal mail to see if they can help you find out if and when it was cashed.

If you can prove they cashed it, then you can send the prove and request the statements as payment has been made.

It is definitely worth a try. ;)

• Haha 1

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I scanned the PO at the time, so I have that on the computer. I have looked for the proof of posting but no sign of that. Neither can I find the receipt from the Post Office when I bought the PO. However, I had been in contact with Royal Mail in Chesterfield a few weeks ago and they confirm it was not cashed.

So, I may be £10 out of pocket as it's too old to take back as unused, despite it being crossed and made payable to Halifax PLC. I don't have the receipt and that Post Office was closed last year.

It may be a case of writing to the Halifax as a regular SAR and add a note about the previous attempt to obtain the info, with the scan attached. At times they can be real softies... ;-)

If they still insist on money I could always ask them to take it out of my Halifax bank account, which they closed in 2006...

That's a shame, but not the end of it.

Like you say, you could send a copy of the postal order and re request your SAR.

If that gets you nowhere then you could always try to see if they would compromise the £10 fee. Stranger things have happened.

But it isnt advised to let them take it out of an account because they never do this, then inform you later, and you have to resend the fee. Time wasting. :mad:

F&Q's... Read here

Ah - you missed those vital closing words - they closed my Hx account in 2006, so asking them to take it from there would waste their time...

I'm actually in no hurry to sort this one out, they'll only use whatever I manage to claw back to reduce the balance.

This one has done the rounds of the DCA's and seems to have gone back to the HX themselves, if the recent statement was anything to go by.

Then they wonder why people are confused. At first they say they cannot deal with it as it's gone to a DCA. You find out that's their own people, Blair Oliver & Scott. They won't talk to you unless you admit you owe them money or confirm your inside leg measurement. So, it eventually goes to another DCA, I refuse to talk to them by phone, they eventually send a letter, I ask for proof they are a legal company and that they have the right to hound me, pointing out that I disputed the debt with the Hx over excessive charges etc. Now I get a statement from the Hx as though nothing ever happened...

At least I can go back to them and ask for the statements now.

Ah - you missed those vital closing words - they closed my Hx account in 2006, so asking them to take it from there would waste their time...

:p Missed it Durrrr!!

They do seem to be going in circles. Well they have time on their hands now ;)

This claim has been going for too long, but the good thing with Halifax at the minute is they do seem to be settling hardship claims. So the sooner you get the claim in the better, that way you can get them off your back!!!

F&Q's... Read here

...get them off your back...

Only partly - the amount I estimated they had overcharged is less than 40% of the total, so they'll still want me to pay the rest once this is settled.

Because I will have taken them to task over charges they'll take it that I admit owing the rest.

• 4 months later...

Any update on this Hillards?

Check out the threads below for updates on the DCA's that I am dealing with.

GE Money/CL Finance/Howard Cohen & Co - AND - Aktiv Kapital/Appleton Massey Solicitors - IN COURT

Cabot x 2 for Vanquis & Hitatchi - DEFAULTED ON CCA REQUEST

Lowell for Capital One - CANCELLED DEBT!! Trying to get Default removed now

Moorcroft x 2 for Halifax Loan & Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Wescot for Halifax Bank Account - RETURNED TO HALIFAX

Cap Quest for Argos Card - RETURNED TO ARGOS

This one has been doing the rounds of the DCA's, so I've not done much with it. Each time that I've had a letter I've replied to let them know I'm 'bemused' as I lodged a dispute with the Hx over 2 years ago.

As I'm claiming charges from them, and they'll only take that off the balance, it's not been a priority to sort out. Sorry. Partly down to me being ill, partly with computer problems, partly apathy I guess...

• 5 months later...

Update time - yes, this is still going on!

Latest is a letter from the Leeds Losers to ask me to pay an amount that appears to be a lot higher than last time I looked. I've not dug out the file to check as I'm suffering with a really bad chest these days and have to be careful how much strain I put on myself.

When I get a mad moment I'll change the date on the last letter I sent to them from this account, the last time it went through this loop, pointing out that I am still waiting for the Hx to get off their backsides and acknowledge me. I refuse to deal with a DCA on this one as there are serious issues with the account that I have asked about on several occasions.

If OhHells want to go to court with it they can try of course...

• 1 year later...

Long time since I sent Lowell a simple letter to say the account has been in dispute for ages, as mentioned above. Nothing heard since then - until today. I've had a demand from Tocatto to let me know they are 'a specialist debt recovery agency working on behalf of Lowell...'. Yes, I know it is Lowell under another name, but now claiming to be in Preston, with an Admail address that no doubt sends everything back to Leeds, despite the return address on the envelope being Bradley Stoke, Bristol!

Sadly for Tocatto, I have no idea what the 'outstanding balance' relates to as it does not tie in with anything I may have been aware of in the past, and they omit to say what it for, apart from the Lowell name. Of course, I don't just make big payments to any Tom Dick or Harry who says 'pay up or else' - school-ground bullies are a thing of the past, or are supposed to be. Seem to be a lot of Dick's making these claims as far as I can see, where are Tom and Harry ?

Hx never responded to my letter asking about the missing postal order (Cripes, who else remembers Billy Bunter?) and I'd all but forgotten about this one. As you get older, your memory does go - I can vouch for that!

It will probably be another year or so before they write again, if they do start to pester I'll do yet another 'account in dispute'/bemused letter. :yawn::sleep:

• 1 year later...

:yawn: Yawn, I get bored with it all now. the Leeds Losers wrote recently to say that this account is now being passed to their debt recovery company, Fredricksons...

They did that about 4 years ago, Freds were told that the account was in dispute etc etc My Deja Vu is getting flashbacks !

Sadly for all of them, it's now SB'd :razz:

• 1 year later...

Oh gosh, this one has come up yet again - but this time it's the Halifax who wrote to me to let me know they think they mis-sold PPI. :-o

I'd almost forgotten about this account, it was all so long ago. I've filled the questionnaire in and sent it back, then thought I'd pop on here to see how other people had got on, and re-discovered this thread :)

I've had a lot of problems over recent years, losing my job, becoming too ill to work again, fighting for my rights and allowances and all that. Now I've refreshed my memory I really must do a new SAR and bang it off. I'm positive there were excessive charges and interest added to the account and I may as well claim those.

From my own notes on here, it's been passed to several DCA's and will be SB'd by now,