Cap One Harassment

hillards
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

(originally poisted in Capital One area, advised to ask here)

I'm getting more and more annoyed at Capital One. They have been calling several times a day for my step-daughter, who tells me she has agreed an arrangement with them to repay her card debt.

They will not speak to me about this, when I tell them that she is at work or at her friends house, but they keep calling. They wake me up early in the morning (I'm a hospital volunteer and often don't get to bed until 5am) and call at all times of the day.

I've just lost my temper with one of their smart-a***d operatives when I started out asking them to stop calling, full stop. She got all stroppy and said they would keep calling.

I've already sent a letter to the Halifax about my own card account, as they were calling 10-12 times a day despite my having written to them at length. This, however, is not my account, so it proving difficult to get anywhere with.

The telephone line is mine, as far as I am aware I have the right to tell them to stop calling as they will not reach my step-daughter at this number. When she does stay here it's because she's been on a late shift, and they don't call at midnight... They just don't listen.

The woman who called refused my request to be passed to a supervisor, repeatedly said they would keep calling despite my requests for them to stop and I've now had enough - but where do I go from here?

I can't call them back as it's not my account to discuss, they've refused to consider my poor health and other factors I've mentioned. I do not want to be stressed any further by this lot and need to hit them with some form of legal letter to force them to stop calling.

Anyone ?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

There are a number of options available to you :

1. When they call, put the 'phone down and let them talk to themselves until they get bored and hang up.

2. Get hold of a loud whistle and blast them off the other end.

3. Adapt the letter outlined below to your needs and send it off by recorded delivery. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

NAME HERE

:)

OK, I'm not with BT but have cable. I have tried this move before, with Halifax Card Services, and was told that the number could not be barred because it was registered as a debt recovery service.

I don't have the calling number, it was withheld, so draw a blank on that one as well. Difficult to bar a number you don't have. I don't want to bar calls from withheld numbers as my hospital work relies on calls from the guys there, and all outgoing calls from there have the number withheld.

I need to get a letter drafted for my step-daughter, as it's her account that is causing the problems. If she just signs it I'll get it posted, when I see her again that is. She's hardly ever here, but you can't get these companies to understand that...

Cheers for the replies guys.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

I have a similar problem with my daughter. She is rarely here, choosing to live with her boyfriend. She has told them to use her mobile number but they still phone my landline no. Morons....

The only alternative I guess, is to get a new number and dump the old one.

I need to get a letter drafted for my step-daughter, as it's her account that is causing the problems. If she just signs it I'll get it posted, when I see her again that is. She's hardly ever here, but you can't get these companies to understand that...

Cheers for the replies guys.

It's your house and it's your 'phone, so you can sign the letter telling them how it is going to be from now on. :) Happy New Year !

Cap one are a right bunch of snaz******s. They were chasing me phoning 4-5 times a day. once they phoned and a indian number turned up. told them exactly what ifelt like in hindi also explained my authrity in the uk. no phonecalls for 4 weeks then they started again. all of a sudden the phone calls have died funny how its once they recieved my sar !!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

Letter ready to send, but I'm unable to post it today as I'm not too good...

In the meantime, two more calls from Capital One - the first hung up far too quickly when she was told that my step-daughter wasn't here.

The second call was from a bloke and he seemed rather surprized that it was possible to have him arrested if I really invoked the law! Claimed he was just doing his job - so I pointed out a few of the relevent acts and that he wasn't getting anywhere nearer to the person he wanted to speak to, all he was doing was harrsssing me...

Strange that he then agreed to remove my number from the dialler system without having to ask for further information ??!!

I'll still be sending the letter as soon as I feel up to going to the post box.

Dont be surprised if some other twit phones you up in a few weeks.

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

• 1 year later...

I should have updated this at the time but was ill...

Shortly after the posts made in January 2007 Cap 1 would have had my letter and I'm pleased to say they stopped calling.

Similar tale with Egg Card, they stopped the calls once they had a letter from me.

Pity that Reliable Collections can't do the same - see my thread at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/154017-reliable-collections-need-help.html