challenging BT to prove their costs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

this thread is related to unlawful bank charges, being that i was charged so much recently by abbey that my BT bill went unpaid; in fact it was disconnected.

i managed to pay the bill, but the next bill had a reconnection charge of £20 and an outgoing call restoration charge of £10

i am not going to ring them, instead i am going to send them the below letter - will keep you posted:

Account no : xxxxxxxx

Bill no : xxxxxx

Dear sir/madam

I received my latest bill from yourselves, which included:

£20 reconnection fee

£10 outgoing call restoration charge

Please note that I will not be paying the above charges as I believe they are penalties, and are disproportionate to your actual costs. If you do not cancel the above charges, I will sue British Telecom in court and will be asking for a breakdown of what the actual costs of reconnection and restoration of services are. Please also be aware that profiting from penalties is unlawful in Common Law.

I will be happy to pay any proportionate costs that British Telecom has incurred due to the none payment of my bill, and would appreciate an invoice which details the actual realistic costs that I should pay.

Please respond in 7 days, or else court proceedings will follow.

Regards

itsamomentintime ;)

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

You'll never get a response within 7 days - so you might as well remove this, requesting they resolve this dispute with all speed is more reasonable.

Incidentally, a Reconnection Fee AND a call restoration charge are not disproportionate, but punitive - reconnection would/should have restored the line without need of additional 'call restoration'.

You should also take this opportunity to warn that you also want an assurance that your credit file will not be abused by BT due to the actions of a 3rd party (no need to say who it was) emptying your account and making BT's call for funds unsatisfied.

The flipside is BT are entitled to be paid, and should not have to care about what other people do to your acount (I'm assuming you've a DDM?). This might be a good time to say you'll use Online Banking or their website to pay future bills electronically, keeping full control yourself.

They TRIED to impose the charges, and only when they refused to after a few years of sundry credits, the court action prompted them to make full restitution. The bill credits now continue without a problem. :D