• Tweets

• Farages 'promises to clacton   * The people of clacton "need to be incentivised, in many cases, to get off benefits and get back to work" * schools will have “to struggle on with more limited facilities" “Some say you can’t put students in Porta Cabins, but actually with teaching you can put students anywhere.” * NHS - looking at an insurance-based model similar to other countries, such as France      (err) * I never supported the £350million, I never thought it was right.”   BUTT Farage:  “Can we just get to the truth of this - £350 million a week is wrong, it’s higher than that,”     Video evidence emerges of Nigel Farage pledging EU millions for NHS after denial WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Ukip leader distanced himself from the pledge just hours after EU referendum results became known   Reform's Nigel Farage: 'Why I should be next Clacton MP' WWW.CLACTONANDFRINTONGAZETTE.CO.UK I met with Nigel Farage, Reform’s leader and General Election candidate for Clacton, in the Rose and Crown Pub in Thorpe-le-Soken.    
    • Here's the Law Gazette on today's evidence to the inquiry from Gareth Jenkins of Fujitsu. Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry live: Crucial prosecution witness Gareth Jenkins says Post Office 'tried to put words in my mouth' | Law Gazette WWW.LAWGAZETTE.CO.UK Gareth Jenkins, the Fujitsu engineer whose evidence was crucial to at least a dozen sub-postmaster prosecutions, begins four days of oral evidence to...  
    • So @theoldrouge * Are reform suspending farage for his putin apologist propaganda pieces? - Which he has doubled down on * Are you going to condemn antisemitic bigoted racism from your right wing  bigots? In effect, are you two going to look up from your gutter and follow labors lead?     "Farage (a “pub bore” who has no grasp of the complexity of “finding international solutions to problems”) - did not say that both Sweden and Finland, Nato’s latest two members, decided to join only after Putin ordered the full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Finnish ex-Prime Minister Alexander Stubb said joining the alliance was a “done deal” for his country only as soon as Russian troops invaded Ukraine. Their membership more than doubled the Russian border with Nato. For Sweden, their decision to join ended more than two centuries of neutrality, such was the threat posed to them by Russia."   Simple fact - Russias invasion of Ukraine forced Finland to join NATO - doubling Russias border with NATO countries.    
    • I have read that thread but it started when received court claim form    im not at that stage yet    I'm asking if I should do anything just now or not contact at all    looks like a standard letter i received giving me 7 days when first letter said they would give 14 days but didn’t and sent 7 days      once again. Dx  thanks for your help and everyone here I get lost in the other posts but have read them 
    • Please check this suggested letter and let us know if there is anything wrong or anything you want to add. Please will you read it carefully and take care this time.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

eBay Debt Recovery DRS Text Message. What should I do? £9000!

I had an eBay account a few years ago and sold a high-value piece of jewelry for around £9000.

I sent the item to eBay's authenticity centre (mandatory for this value), and the tracking showed it was delivered.

However, eBay later claimed they never received it.

After an investigation, UPS said it was delivered to a different address on the estate where the authenticity centre is located.

Eventually, eBay located the package but said it contained only chocolate and unrelated items, which I obviously did not send.

UPS was unhelpful.

As a result, eBay refunded the buyer, and my account went minus £9000.

I refused to pay, lost my eBay account, and no longer have access to it or the associated email.

Today, I received a text from DRS debt recovery with my name and a reference number, stating I owe a debt to eBay and to log in online using a passcode emailed to me (which I don't have since I no longer have access to the email).

When I called DRS for more information, they asked for my address, which I refused to give based on advice I read online.

They then said they couldn't discuss the debt further and ended the call.

What should I do in this situation?

Should I contact DRS again and provide my details to find out more about the debt?

Should I send a letter explaining why I shouldn't owe this debt and do nothing further?

Is there a legal risk of them taking me to court?

Any advice would be appreciated.

From what I am aware of, I think they only have my name and telephone number.

I have not received any debt letters in the post and I removed/changed my address from eBay at the time this all happened.

I also have not received any CCJ's.

This is the first time they have contacted me.

They sent me another text with a PDF letter explaining the debt.

The address on the letter is the address on my ebay account which is not an address linked to me and is actually missing the first line.

You better start giving us dates when this happened.

I understand from what you have posted that this happened several years ago and you have potentially been out of pocket to the tune of £9000 since then.

You've been here since 2011 and I really don't understand by at least you didn't come and tell us about it if nothing else.

Letting it go for several years has not helped you at all – it has undermined your credibility substantially.

Please make sure you have read the stories parcel delivery sub- forum and then give us full details of what has happened. A step-by-step chronology – bullet pointed – dates included.

You can be certain that some point they will discover your address and for £9000 I doubt whether they will hang around

This happened approx 18 months - 2 years ago.

I have not been out of pocket.

eBay instantly paid the money to me and then investigated once the buyer claimed the item did not arrive.

They favoured towards the buyer and therefore made my ebay account minus £9000.

Subsequently the ebay account got suspended and I since cut ties with it and no longer have access to it.

Thank you, I suggested a particular approach in my first post. Will you now follow the advice so that we can then understand exactly what has happened and advise you as to what to do.

Sorry not sure what you mean, I think I have explained pretty much everything that has happened. 

Sold item on ebay and was paid out to me, item got lost, ebay refunded buyer and left my account in minus, 2 years later DRS texting me about the debt owed.

Then we will go through it step-by-step.

Step one, go to the parcel delivery sub- forum.

Step two, start reading up stories there. Lots of them. Take two or three days.

Read the pinned threads at the top of that sub- forum and understand the principles.

Then come back here and give us the information we need.

It is clear that you are going to have to a claim against the delivery company that you used to supply the jewellery to your customer

Posted (edited)

DRS are just a DCA

ardens credit services or some rubbish like that

pers id just ignore them.

although you should be keeping your address up to date....

BUT

you should tell us exactly what is happening as BF has said. 

Edited by jk2054

underpaid paralegal

ebay/paypal do not do court, 

they will sell the debt off to a debt buyer/dca and their eyes will light up.

for that kind of a sum they will almost guaranteed go for a CJJ and they'd be exceptionally happy to find you are now living at a new address, having failed to update the original creditor of your move and file everything to your old one = backdoor CCJ.

the 1st you'll know about it is court bailiffs at your door

you must update the original creditor of your correct and current address 

that will give you legal protection that you'll see any letter of claim or claimform and can suitably defend.

once the DCA knows the background to the dispute they'll drop it like a stone.

we've not seen one successful court claim regarding this kind of frequent ebay fraud scenario ever.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for that.

so to confirm, are you saying I should let DRS know my current updated address and explain to them that I don’t owe the debt?

Would you mind explaining exactly what you think I should do?

thank you!

no you should write to ebay 

leave drs alone they're just letter spammers with no brains.

ardens service or whatever they call themselves.

underpaid paralegal

simply inform the debt owner PayPal of your current address.

dont state anything else

other than p'haps an account no. so they know who's AD to update.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It’s actually eBay who I am in debt too. 

so I should contact eBay, update my address and tell them I refuse to pay the debt and then sit and wait? Don’t contact DRS at all?

Posted (edited)

yes ebay. no contact for drs leave them silent

i dont know why dx is rambling about paypal so id say just ignore that part

Edited by jk2054

underpaid paralegal

If I ignore drs can’t that affect my credit score?

also could you explain what you mean above and how I can defend myself when that time does come

im nont sure DRS Can change your credit score no.

wait for dx who might provide some clarity on paypal and drs

underpaid paralegal

if its not already showing, no DCA can mark your file.

only the original creditor can.

i said PP out of habit when ebay never handled money before brexit changes.

16 minutes ago, kodiplod said:

how I can defend myself when that time does come

2 hours ago, dx100uk said:

once the DCA knows the background to the dispute they'll drop it like a stone.

and they

Ok thanks. So tell eBay I’ve changed address, and that I do not accept the debt. Ignore any letters from drs. And you guys are saying you think drs will drop it?! Surely can’t be this easy

Try to think things through logically & legally - the two go together as the civil court system in England is pretty decent and easy to get your head round.

1.  Say you & I got into legal dispute.  Who could sue who?  Well I could sue you and you could sue me.  My next-door neighbour couldn't sue you and your best mate couldn't sue me because the case would have nowt to do with them.  The same goes for a DCA.  It's not their debt.  They can do nothing.

2.  Of course a DCA can't affect your credit score.  If they could, then there would be nothing stopping you picking on someone you dislike, saying they owed you a billion pounds, and affecting their credit score.  Logically there must be more to it than some daft allegation.  CCJs are issued and credit scores wrecked after a judge has decided on the matter and the losing party has still refused to pay. 

With nine grand in play the matter will not magically go away but you need to gen up and seperate daft threats from paper tigers from concrete threats which could really cause you trouble.

The others are right - you need to inform the original creditor of your address in order to avoid a backdoor CCJ.

Also, why did you decide not to sue UPS who have admitted to delivering to the wrong address which in turn led to the theft of your goods?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for this.

UPS never said they delivered to the wrong address.

Tracking just showed as delivered.

EBay couldn’t find it for weeks and then said they found it and it had chocolate in it.

Something clearly doesn’t add up here.

quite usual for couriers to swap parcel contents, though it could have been done by someone at the 1st address before it got to where it should have .... ebay.

just to clarify as you seem to be not understanding/reading some posts correctly.

3 hours ago, dx100uk said:

simply inform the debt owner PayPal   Ebay of your current address.

dont state anything else

other than p'haps an account no. so they know who's AD to update.

9 hours ago, kodiplod said:

I received a text from DRS debt recovery

you should always ignore a dca totally unless you ever get a letter of claim in the post.

When I called DRS for more information

you never ever ring a DCA..:frusty: they LIE.

Should I contact DRS again and provide my details to find out more about the debt?

no!!

Should I send a letter explaining why I shouldn't owe this debt and do nothing further?

no!!

Is there a legal risk of them taking me to court?

they dont own the debt, their txt says our client ebay. only the OWNER of a debt can take you to court. and ebay dont do court.

i find it quite amazing that you have numerous threads about ebay/paypal regarding issues since you joined in 2011 but have never read any of the advice previously given.

dx

• Like 1

and they

Just tell ebay your current address and nothing else.

Don't discuss it with them, don't say ANYTHING about the debt.

Letter can be literally 4-5 lines.

Dear eBay

Account Number/Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note my new address is x. Please update your records accordingly.

Kind Regards
x

THAT'S IT.

No need for anything else. DRS will fizzle out eventually.

11 hours ago, kodiplod said:

And you guys are saying you think drs will drop it?! Surely can’t be this easy

DRS have nothing to do with the debt outside of hounding you. "Paul" says you owe money and you say you don't. Paul gets his mate "Steve" to come and ask you to pay the money to Paul. Steve will continue to bother you in the hopes you give in and pay up.

Steve, however, can't take you to court because he ultimately doesn't have anything to do with the debt.

Paul, the owner of the "debt", can take you to court but doesn't wish to because it would harm his reputation in the industry he works in.

You therefore tell Paul where you live so that in case he does decide to take you to court you can defend yourself.

In this case, "Paul" is eBay and "Steve" is DRS.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread