Car Giant - Please Help Cannot Afford HP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We bought a VW Passat in Jan 06. Its a 52 plate with high mileage. However, considering its service history and that it is a diesel it should not have any problems. We bought the car from Car Giant and paid for a years warranty.

Since having the car it has gone wrong in many ways i.e Air Con Broken, coolant loss, car boot hinge broke, horn has stopped working, possibly exhaust? and smaller problems.

Anyway recently my wife had to go part-time due to family commitments and the drop in salary means I can not afford the repayments as easy as I once could.

I found on citazens advice bureau, if I gave the car back to the finance company. I would be liable for all repairs, arrears and half the finance. I am unable to afford this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to end my HPI without incurring such huge costs?

How long did you take the finance out for? How much is outstanding?

How much is the car worth now?Have you paid at least a third of the payments? Why are you not

claiming the repairs that need doing under the warranty-you only have a few

weeks before it terminates. Did you but the car more for pleasure use, or

do you need it for work as well? Would getting rid of it involve extra

expenses in travel and being able to do your work?

Unfortunately, with some of these policies, it is almost as expensive to give

the car back than to keep it. If you still have a fairly long period before

it is finally paid, it might be worth asking for an extension to the loan period

and paying less per month-though if the car continues to be unreliable that may not be

an ideal choice. Just because a car has been regularly serviced, does not mean that there will not be corresponding high maintenance bills, as parts

that have come to the end of their working life begin to break down. The

engine may be fine for another 100,000 miles but lots of other parts will need

replacement-and often bits that don't require servicing, or often get missed

during services.

Could you look at swapping the car for a smaller/cheaper one rather than

handing the car back?

The lesser of all evils is to hang on to it until you can afford to restart payments.

Most finance companies take forever to repo cars - I had arrears for nearly two years before I was repo'd and I still haven't paid a penny of the arrears though they are trying to CCJ me again. S

ome even just write off the debt and do absolutely nothing

- I know a guy who "won" a 70 grand Aston Martin in this way

Unfortunately you will probably get chased down in the end but don't start forking out cash now when you don't have to and can't afford it.

You will probably get taken to court BUT it maybe that you will be allowed to keep the car and make somewhat lower repayments until your circumstances improve. If you do lose the car you will only have to repay the arrears at a rate you can afford - could be as little as £1 a month.

Bottom line - you have everything to gain and nothing extra to lose by hanging on in there.

The finance co might add collection costs but these are mostly unlawful charges which will be unenforceable.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Sad to say the warranty is most likely not worth the paper it is written on. If I was in your situation I would go and speak to your local CAB...

Sadly you are stuck between different companies with their own problems

1) Car Giant - sold the car, got the money don't care anymore

2) Finance company - not interested in the car, just want their money

3) Warranty company - just looking to make money - don't care about you or your car.

One option maybe to part exchange the car for something either older or smaller. The dealer that sells you your next car can massage the figures to settle the finance on the passet..

Most salesman never test drive the cars they take in part exchange so you may get away with getting a good price for your car

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

• dx100uk changed the title to Car Giant - Please Help Cannot Afford HP