2nd claim in process - threat to close account

LouLou
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have already received £2400 from Barclays after successfully following the process, so I thought I'd claim back charges I have received recently.

After my first letter, I have a response which says, the first payment they made was a gesture of good will and that I should consider banking elsewhere if I do not agree to the terms and conditions.

Reading between the lines it looks like they may close my account if I go ahead with the second claim (its for £400)

Has anyone else made a successful second claim from Barclays? Are these empty threats?

Thanks Louise

At the end of the day it's your money they have taken because of their unlawful penalty charges - you should proceed and just open another account elsewhere just in case they do close your account! £400 is a lot of money! I know I wouldn't let them get away with it!!

I am going to claim for the second time with Barclays as I have already had £1950.73 from them for charges from the last six years, but have now sent a SAR to get statements from when I opened the account. The reason this was not done previously was because I just phoned for the statements. I am going to start a claim for any charges prior to 2000. I don't really use this account so it wouldn't bother me if they did shut it as I also have one with LTSB and HSBC as well as a post office account.

The way I see it is if the want to close your account because they know they are in the wrong, do you really want to do business with them anyway.

Also £400 is a tidy sum, and they should not have taken it from you.

I would definately go for it. Open a new account first though, if you haven't already.

Tanz

I should consider banking elsewhere if I do not agree to the terms and conditions.

Reading between the lines it looks like they may close my account if I go ahead with the second claim (its for £400)

Has anyone else made a successful second claim from Barclays? Are these empty threats?

/quote]

yes empty threats ...barclays generally do not close accounts.

yes second claim paid up

should consider does not mean they are closing the account...if they do you should have a parachute one up and running...they have 30 days to inform you they are closing your account ..:)

Tanz. Barclays are obstinate in providing the last six years of statements. You will have a battle on your hands to get statments going back further than this.

Let battle commence.

I will have a go anyway and what the worse that can happen, I loose £10, I will argue that this is refunded.

No harm in trying as its my money.

Tanz

Maybe so. But you cant say for certain that they will not close the account following a second claim. Some people have got away with making a second claim, and some have had their accounts closed. It is not inconceivable for this to happen. Dont forget that the banks are changing tactics all the time. Im not saying it will happen, but we all need to be aware that it is possible.

Thanks for all your replies, I have set up a contingency account with NatWest which was a lot easier than I thought, so I shall go for the 2nd Claim. You are right £400 is a lot and I'm going to go all the way!

Hi, I've got a claim awaiting a mercantile hearing with barclays, when my husband used his card, the machine retained it, we went into the branch and they told us because our account was badly managed they wouldnt let use use it anymore, but wouldnt close it till the balance was nil. we were not up to our o/d limit so they said if we needed any cash we would have to go into branch tell them why we needed money and ask if we could have it !!! So beware they are not empty threats, luckily we had another account with sainsburys. But this definatly rocked the boat.

jenny:rolleyes:

Hi, I've got a claim awaiting a mercantile hearing with barclays, when my husband used his card, the machine retained it, we went into the branch and they told us because our account was badly managed they wouldnt let use use it anymore, but wouldnt close it till the balance was nil. we were not up to our o/d limit so they said if we needed any cash we would have to go into branch tell them why we needed money and ask if we could have it !!! So beware they are not empty threats, luckily we had another account with sainsburys. But this definatly rocked the boat.

jenny:rolleyes:

I think we all need to recognise that this is a real possibility and that it may happen. I personally think that the banks will at some stage fight back, in some way shape or form. We all need to cover our backs by opening parachute accounts and trying our best to run them smoothly.

Tanz