• Tweets

• Hi everyone   Yesterday I got an email from the councillor I'd first contacted, asking me if things had improved. I thought I'd show you all my reply:     "Thank you very much for contacting me. Unfortunately, my original message to you achieved absolutely nothing (though I'm sure you did your best). I have made further efforts to fix this problem, but to no avail, and it has got to the point where I feel I'm just talking to myself. I contacted the Worcester News and they ran an article, but when they approached Platform Housing, its response was totally unhelpful. I contacted my MP, Harriett Baldwin, but she got the same unhelpful response when she approached them. I then emailed Elizabeth Froude, Platform's CEO, but she did not reply. I emailed her again, with the same result. Platform is simply refusing to enter into any dialogue whatsoever. Its chief excuse regarding this change to our computer setup is that they want to protect residents' information, but I am deeply sceptical about this, because for one thing, they actually removed residents' long-standing protection a long time before they made this change. When I first came to The Firs, anyone who wanted a private account on the computer could have one: this meant that when you switched the computer on, you saw several icons with usernames beside them, you clicked on yours, then put in your own unique password to get into the computer. If you needed to save the odd file, this was in your account only, behind that password an inaccessible to other residents. But a couple of years ago, this was all changed: suddenly there were no private accounts, and not even a password to get onto the computer. If you saved a file, it was there for all to see, so you had to remember to copy it onto a USB stick then delete it from the computer, or just download the information directly onto the USB stick from the Web. But if you wanted your information secure, that was no problem. But now they've locked us out of the computer with Kiosk Mode in the name of security, and as you can see from what I've just written, it appears to be a bogus excuse. Platform has supplied a printer, but it's useless to us. There's no paper, we don't even know if there's ink, and worst of all, there's no way of knowing how it interfaces with the present setup of the computer. If I wanted to print out an email right now, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do it, and I'm one of the most computer-savvy people here. The other problems persist: 1) No copying and pasting. If I wanted to insert a link into this email, it would be impossible. I'm going to give you a link to a Platform Housing publication later on, but the only reason I'll be able to do it is because I've borrowed someone's laptop to write this message. 2) No ad-blocker. The Chrome browser had an ad-blocker that worked fine, but now they've switched us to the Edge browser, we're plagued with ads. Some websites are almost unusable. The Daily Mail and Guardian, for instance, are full of animated popups that distract the eye, and the Mail has so many ads, the whole screen jumps up and down as the ads load, for minutes on end. Youtube videos are interrupted ever couple of minutes or so. The thing is, Edge has its own ad-blocker, made by Microsoft, but Platform will not enable it, and we can't enable it ourselves, as all controls are locked away from us. I've asked Platform to enable it, but just got a flat refusal. 3) We still can't upload anything from outside the computer. For instance, if I were seeking your help on a matter that was affecting my health, and I needed to show you a letter from my GP, until recently that would have been easy: just scan it, put in onto a USB stick, write an email to you and attach the letter. Now, that is simply impossible. One very important thing to note is that in its treatment of Firs residents, Platform Housing is going against everything it claims to stand for when it comes to digital inclusion for its tenants. Here is a pdf of its 'mission statement' (which, I should remind you, I could not even link you to using the Firs computer): https://www.platformhg.com/download.cfm?doc=docm93jijm4n6904.pdf&ver=10036 Its treatment of Firs residents renders this publication meaningless. I hope you will contact Platform again and try to get its staff to engage with us. Thank you."   I copied Platform Housing's CEO into the message. Probably won't do any good, but it's made me feel that at least I'm trying.
    • Did you just put this on the front of the postage label? Barclays Bank Free post Barclays Customer Relations  
    • My partner knew I was using their staff pass. It was a stupid but collective decision. I just want a better understanding how severe the repercussions could be for the both of us individually. We are aware my partner could lose their job, but could my partner get a Fraud charge? 
    • We believe this firm may be providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why you should be wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

2nd claim in process - threat to close account

LouLou

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have already received £2400 from Barclays after successfully following the process, so I thought I'd claim back charges I have received recently.

After my first letter, I have a response which says, the first payment they made was a gesture of good will and that I should consider banking elsewhere if I do not agree to the terms and conditions.

Reading between the lines it looks like they may close my account if I go ahead with the second claim (its for £400)

Has anyone else made a successful second claim from Barclays? Are these empty threats?

Thanks Louise

At the end of the day it's your money they have taken because of their unlawful penalty charges - you should proceed and just open another account elsewhere just in case they do close your account! £400 is a lot of money! I know I wouldn't let them get away with it!!

I am going to claim for the second time with Barclays as I have already had £1950.73 from them for charges from the last six years, but have now sent a SAR to get statements from when I opened the account. The reason this was not done previously was because I just phoned for the statements. I am going to start a claim for any charges prior to 2000. I don't really use this account so it wouldn't bother me if they did shut it as I also have one with LTSB and HSBC as well as a post office account.

The way I see it is if the want to close your account because they know they are in the wrong, do you really want to do business with them anyway.

Also £400 is a tidy sum, and they should not have taken it from you.

I would definately go for it. Open a new account first though, if you haven't already.

Tanz

I should consider banking elsewhere if I do not agree to the terms and conditions.

Reading between the lines it looks like they may close my account if I go ahead with the second claim (its for £400)

Has anyone else made a successful second claim from Barclays? Are these empty threats?

/quote]

yes empty threats ...barclays generally do not close accounts.

yes second claim paid up

should consider does not mean they are closing the account...if they do you should have a parachute one up and running...they have 30 days to inform you they are closing your account ..:)

Tanz. Barclays are obstinate in providing the last six years of statements. You will have a battle on your hands to get statments going back further than this.

Let battle commence.

I will have a go anyway and what the worse that can happen, I loose £10, I will argue that this is refunded.

No harm in trying as its my money.

Tanz

Maybe so. But you cant say for certain that they will not close the account following a second claim. Some people have got away with making a second claim, and some have had their accounts closed. It is not inconceivable for this to happen. Dont forget that the banks are changing tactics all the time. Im not saying it will happen, but we all need to be aware that it is possible.

whatever :D they havent closed mine...just telling peeps...:D

but barclays generally do not close accounts! unlike alliance @ l...sods law isnt it thats why we say open another account just to be sure..:o :D

Thanks for all your replies, I have set up a contingency account with NatWest which was a lot easier than I thought, so I shall go for the 2nd Claim. You are right £400 is a lot and I'm going to go all the way!

Hi, I've got a claim awaiting a mercantile hearing with barclays, when my husband used his card, the machine retained it, we went into the branch and they told us because our account was badly managed they wouldnt let use use it anymore, but wouldnt close it till the balance was nil. we were not up to our o/d limit so they said if we needed any cash we would have to go into branch tell them why we needed money and ask if we could have it !!! So beware they are not empty threats, luckily we had another account with sainsburys. But this definatly rocked the boat.

jenny:rolleyes:

Hi, I've got a claim awaiting a mercantile hearing with barclays, when my husband used his card, the machine retained it, we went into the branch and they told us because our account was badly managed they wouldnt let use use it anymore, but wouldnt close it till the balance was nil. we were not up to our o/d limit so they said if we needed any cash we would have to go into branch tell them why we needed money and ask if we could have it !!! So beware they are not empty threats, luckily we had another account with sainsburys. But this definatly rocked the boat.

jenny:rolleyes:

I think we all need to recognise that this is a real possibility and that it may happen. I personally think that the banks will at some stage fight back, in some way shape or form. We all need to cover our backs by opening parachute accounts and trying our best to run them smoothly.

Tanz