Caught with Childs 5-10yrs railcard

You should have!

What with the BTP base there, and main COLP station on Bishopsgate, not to forget one of the highest concentrations of CCTV cameras to follow you: good chance of being nabbed.

Then, none of this letter tennis and pleading for an admin settlement: straight to court, RRA 1889 S5(3)(a).     Sorted.

you regret getting caught and regret not running off, rather than regretting fare evading.

• Like 1

By comparison with how much for the administrative settlement? (Or, if prosecuted, total fine / costs & the cost to you of the criminal record…….)

Was it the first time you used it, or first time you got caught (they’ll look back at at least 8 weeks of Oyster history looking for patterns of use / misuse)

Why no Student Oyster instead?

is that £12/ day even with a Student Oyster?

2 hours ago, hii said:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/465959-caught-using-mother’s-60-oyster-card-50-uses-sjpn-court/

i feel like she only received a warning because of her medical condition (her cancer), 

i feel like the only reason the user received a warning was because of her medical condition (her cancer)

In that thread you have quoted, the OP hasn't yet heard back from Tfl as to if they are being prosecuted or given an administrative settlement, so it isn't correct to say "the only reason the user received a warning was because of her medical condition", as they haven't yet heard.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Caught with Childs 5-10yrs railcard

I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie”

it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't.. 

You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..

From what you’ve posted, it absolutely is in the public interest to prosecute.

You’ve fare evaded multiple times. Your reason for doing so is impecunity: but if they accept that as a valid reason they’d have to create a new scheme to allow free travel outside of the existing ones. So that’s mitigation rather than defence.

A conviction carries stigmata and inconvenience : but that is one of the downsides of committing an offence, and one of the reasons to prosecute is deterrence : so you saying it will affect you doesn’t make it not in the public interest to prosecute - it is in the public interest but just not in your interest ….

I come back to the fact that you haven’t really given TFL a reason not to prosecute, and (by being caught in a lie about it being once only) given them a reason to harden their attitude (even if they haven’t seen your comments here about lack of remorse / wishing “you’d just done a runner” .

Why shouldn’t they prosecute?

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 09:57, hii said:

I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost.

However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off.

How many uses, over how long?