Slightly confused

Silverstar

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if any experts on here could give me a few pieces of advice.

I've been going through the process of claiming back charges from Natwest. I was given two partial offers which I refused, then I made a higher partial offer which was ignored by the bank. After the deadline for that was up, I started the court process through Moneyclaim.

This morning, I received a letter from the bank offering me the full £1238 that I had asked for. This does not include interest or court fees, as the letter is dated the day after I started the court process, and I doubt they would have been served with the claim by then.

I'd like to take this offer, but I'm unsure of a couple of things.

1) How do I go about cancelling my claim? Do I do it through Moneyclaim, or do I need to phone the court, or is there another way? I know you can enter a Judgement by Admission through Moneyclaim, but this doesn't seem right when the banks are refusing to admit they owe the money and are simply refunding as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

2) If I take this offer, do I lose the £120 that I paid to the courts, as it is not included in the money that Natwest are offering to refund?

3) Do you guys think taking the offer is the right thing to do? Would you keep pushing for the interest and court fees too?

Thanks for any help.

I've been going through the process of claiming back charges from NatWest. I was given two partial offers which I refused, then I made a higher partial offer which was ignored by the bank. After the deadline for that was up, I started the court process through Moneyclaim.

This morning, I received a letter from the bank offering me the full £1238 that I had asked for. This does not include interest or court fees, as the letter is dated the day after I started the court process, and I doubt they would have been served with the claim by then.

1) How do I go about cancelling my claim? Do I do it through Moneyclaim, or do I need to phone the court, or is there another way? I know you can enter a Judgement by Admission through Moneyclaim, but this doesn't seem right when the banks are refusing to admit they owe the money and are simply refunding as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

2) If I take this offer, do I lose the £120 that I paid to the courts, as it is not included in the money that Natwest are offering to refund?

3) Do you guys think taking the offer is the right thing to do? Would you keep pushing for the interest and court fees too?

Thanks for any help.

Good morning.

1. You cancel the claim by writing to the court stating you intention to withdraw the claim. Please be aware that they are now obliged to pay the court fees. A call to the bank to explain that you have already started the process and tell them you now reuire the court fees as well. I am sure they will offer you the court fees as well if not you just continue with the court claim.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

I've been going through the process of claiming back charges from NatWest. I was given two partial offers which I refused, then I made a higher partial offer which was ignored by the bank. After the deadline for that was up, I started the court process through Moneyclaim.

You are right, you can't do the judgment by admission, you would need to call the courts

I think you will loose it. Again though, call MCOL and ask them but to be honest, the banks messed you about and failed to meet your deadline so i'd carry on with the claim and decline their offer as you have now engaged court proceedings.

I wouldn't take the offer now, you have had to pay £120 in costs so i wouldn't let them get away with that now, if they can't keep to a simple deadline then thats their problem, what would they do if it was on the other foot and you owed them?!

Hope this helps.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

That's great, both of you. I'll call the bank and see if I can get them to pay me my court costs, and if not, I'll keep pushing on with the claim and see if I can get the whole lot.

Wanting to take this offer is at least partly because Christmas was so expensive, and I could really do with the dosh a.s.a.p!

Thanks

Having now spoken to the Customer Relations department on the phone, I've been told that in this situation, they advise me to continue my claim through the courts, and that the £120 will be sent to me as a cheque when I receive my money back through the courts.

The girl I spoke to seemed to assume I'd be getting my money back, so I'm fairly confident!

I'm considering writing to the bank to advise them that I'm rejecting their offer and continuing with the court process. Is there anything in particular that I should mention in the letter, or would a fairly standard letter like the one below do?

"Dear Sir,

Further to your letter of 23rd December 2006 offering me £xxxx as a gesture of goodwill, and the phonecall I made to your Customer Relations department on 28th December 2006 with regards to this letter, I am advising you that I shall be allowing my claim for £xxxx, plus statutory interest, plus court fee to continue through the courts.

Yours faithfully,

Silverstar"

Thanks again for any help.

Yeh that letter looks fine and yes although you have spoken to them over the phone they may not actually listen to that until you write in. I would put on the letter the deadline you set eg "I gave NatWest to the 25th December to answer my request and failure to complete this i have now proceeded with my court claim as mentioned above which will include costs."

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.