• Tweets

• His financial situation isn’t great, and the landlord has made lots of things up. The things he’s put isn’t true at all. My friend did tell the full truth with incoming and outgoing, I helped him fill in his form and he checked bills etc. to make sure it was right. His wage is ok, but not as good as the landlord thinks it is,  and he doesn’t have anything spare. How much are they likely to take from him? Should he send any reply?  the letter just says to take the court letter with him. 
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Jonathan B V Nationwide - Underpaid

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Laxdale,

If you want any info regarding the Mercantile Court, see the sticky thread 'Mercantile Court Guide' http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mercantile-court-cases-stays/34297-mercantile-court-guide.html at the top of this forum if you have not already seen it. Post 1 is Commercial and Admiralty Court (CPR58 & CPR61), but I think post 3 is the one you need, ie your letter states CPR 59 rules which is the Mercantile Court.

I'm not sure if you will need to submit a CMI sheet - your letter does not seem to ask for one. Best thing is to phone the Court if you are in any doubt about if one is needed.

I had a similar issue with Nationwide in april when my claim was paid prior to court proceedings. I stated I wanted the full amount and wrote using a template that said this is only a partial settlement, they then sent me a summary of their breakdowns and when i looked at it against my calculations i could see some inconsistencys on my part. this was my first claim and I duplicated some of my costs from the statement and then again from the notice of charges. My thoughts on this are... if you are 100 percent sure that you have evidence to prove they are wrong then proceed and dig your heels in, I would go for the wasted costs at this point too if you have the bottle.I found out this was the point at which i should have asked for my costs and waited until the case was settled which seems to be too late.

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laxdale, I'm still learning about the court process, although have learned a lot so far from this great site. (am about 1 week and a bit away from filing a claim myself at the moment)

Hang in there, you're in the right.

All the best

Laxdale,

First thing is not to worry. I know it seems scary being transfered to a higher court an all that, but its actually very common for the majority of Central London claims.

Another thing to note is that the small claims costs provisions will (probably) apply - so you haven't got that worry hanging over you.

Its unlikely to get that far, I really can't see them not settling, but you need to decide whether you'd like to attend the hearing or submit written representations instead - which you've been given the option to do if you wish.

Am I right in thinking that they've settled most of it, but are £170 short?

If so, you need to include in your written representations a concise summary of events and highlight the fact that the only real issue outstanding is the amount of the settlement figure.

I honestly can't see the claim progressing to the Mercentile on that issue alone - its hardly test case material, basically all your doing now is haggling over the figures. Chances are you'll be transferred back to small claims, or perhaps the judge will stay for a month to iron it out, or he may even make an order that Nationwide pay the difference.

Include in your representations a schedule showing clearly the amount claimed in charges, interest and fees so you can demonstrate what they've paid and what they haven't.

I should also say, are you sure the amount you've claimed is correct? Best just to check that you haven't included any genuine account service fees or normal OD interest.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Also, if you have a look at the link MTM provided above, you'll notice that the judge presiding over your claim is the same one who critisised the banks in the BBC article, so at least he understands the issues and is fully aware of the banks tricks and dirty tactics - which, unfortunately, a lot of judges still seem to be oblivious to.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Jonathon

Just wanted to post a thread to offer my support and let you know that everyone is routing for you.

From reading your thread I don't think you have anything to worry about because according to other threads they deal with cases in bulk so their will be a lot of people there that are in the same boat as you!!

In my opinion (which probably isn't worth a lot cos I'm new on here) I think it might be a good thing because everyone will have all their paperwork as well as you so you will all stand and fight your cause together.

I wish you all the luck with your claim but I don't think you'll need it, I think the banks are running scared, its only a matter of time before they have to start justifying there charges, and how are they going to do that!!!! THEY CAN'T.

Stand your ground and keep us all upto date with your progress.

All the best.

Speedy

keep on going mate. Ive not heard of anyone getting this far but you sound as if you have all bases covered.

IF Im available 20th July I may come down to lend support (london based anyway).

Chin up.

Hi Jonathan, Just reading your thread & wanted to add my good luck wishes to you as well - don't worry, I'm sure you'll be alright. According to the letter you received from the court it looks fairly like the CMC I attended in April in the Leeds Mercantile Court - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mercantile-court-cases-stays/85142-zsazsas-mum-lloyds-mercantile.html

If you have a quick read it'll give you an idea of what to expect, or what my experience has been so far anyway - don't worry though, united we stand & CAG are behind you etc!

Good Luck!

Zsazsa

HSBC S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

HSBC WON £3608.05 inc court costs DONATION MADE

Halifax S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 24.08.06

Halifax WON £1909.39 inc court costs DONATION MADE

Hello laxdale!

Just want to wish you good luck.

The only advice I can give you and others in this kind of situation is don't panic, don't let anyone try to fluster/speed you up i.e. take as much time as you need and be clear what you want and why

It might even be an idea to fix up a crib sheet listing the high points.

[speaking from the position of being a jury forman at the old bailey a couple of years back, and another time helping a freind take on Tiny Computer back in the 1990's].

Good luck mate. I and everyone else will be rooting for you.

Gazza01

hey, after seeing milk tray mans plight on getting everyone to support you, thought i would include some encouragement - especially as mine could end up going the same way. NW have underpaid my claim by 1200!

As people have already said on here, if your calculations are 100% correct then your bank doesnt have a leg to stand on and you WILL get your money.

Just think how much all this is costing the Nationwide! In my company our solicitors/barristers get paid £7500 per hour!!!! hence why most compnaies like to settle outside of court.

Stick to it - you've got the whole backing of everyone on here.

we're rootin for ya!

:| worried and stressed:|

Nationwide! Here i come, could be alot of money they might have to pay me back:eek:

Data request letter sent 04/06/06 via Hull Branch Nationwide.

Hull financial consultant called ME to help 04/06/06

:smile:Refunded £1200, 19/07/06, still going for the rest of it though!

LBA posted 22/09/06 claiming £2720!

D`oh! - put wrong amount in LBA - short by £1000!

Finally got the money to go to court 09/03/07

Acknowledged 13/03/07

No reply, so judgement issued 29 days after acknowledgment 14/04/07

DEFENCE FILED ??!! 09/03/07

FULLY PAID UP 17/04/07

Second Prelim sent 20/04/07

Second LBA sent 01/05/07

MCOL acknowledged

County court letter saying PAID UP 20/06/07 - although this wasnt the claimed amount, so i disputed it.

Still awaiting court date/decision due to OFT case.

Hey JB,

I don't think you need to worry too much about London Mercantile, check the link BBC NEWS | Business | Judge slams bank payout delays .Nationwide would rather cough than risk the posibility of going before HH Judge Makie . Even if you are obliged to attend as long as you've prepared yourself you should be ok. Remember we are iin the right.

All the best and good luck.

Hi jonathan would also like to wish u good luck. Im trying to reclaim the rest nationwide owe me. i have been to court,but unfortunatly for nationwide they were 45mins to late for the hearing. So got struck out. Now ive just gotta chase for the remainding amout im owed

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of which court it is all Judges use a "reasonable man test". Any reasonable man would conclude that the banks are unreasonable and rule in your favour. It is a real bummer to be in such a position but like everyone else I believe you will win in the end. Be brave and stick it out.

Regardless of which court it is all Judges use a "reasonable man test". Any reasonable man would conclude that the banks are unreasonable and rule in your favour. It is a real bummer to be in such a position but like everyone else I believe you will win in the end. Be brave and stick it out.

Not so, unfortunately.

Many judges consider that its US who are unreasonable. I was in Swindon County Court twice last week, in front of 2 different judges - the first one commented that the banks are being "attacked" (poor things!:rolleyes:) and "if I had a pound for every template POC......" and "its seems to be the latest fashion to click on a website and sue a bank.....".

Second one was a wasted costs hearing (v Lloyds). I wasn't even allowed to make my case for them or show evidence - the judge said that he cannot possibly award costs in the small claims track unless the circumstances of unreasonable behaviour are exceptional. So it seems that sham litigation on a mass scale and utter disregard for orders and the CPR is not unreasonable enough, then.:rolleyes:

That said, that is the minority - you can tell by the orders coming out of the various courts that most seem to be taking a tougher line with the banks, and rightly so.

Hi,

I received a letter the other day from Ian Kinnear, Nationwide's locum solicitor that basically said that the amounts they were quoting were roughly right, although they had made a slight miscalculation and enclosed with the letter was a cheque for £2.97.

Having been through my statements for the umpteenth time I have tonight realised that I have made a huge error in my calculations. Basically, I got my figures from the summary of charges that you receive with each statement. This summary tells you how much they are going to charge you, and then further down it says that payment will be taken in either 21 or 28 days time. Unfortunately for me, these summaries, dont always include ad-hoc refunds of charges that were made at a later date. Some refunds show on the summaries, but crucially, not all!

Therefore, it would appear that my claim that I had been underpaid was wrong and I have pretty much received everything I should have.

I am now about to send a letter conceding defeat and saying they have refunded me in full. However, I just wondered if, with the benefit of the people who read this forums vast experiences in these matters wether it was worth trying to ring/email (bearing in mind that my case is due to be heard on Friday, aaaargh!!!) Mr Kinnear to say, OK I agree that I've made a mistake and the amount refunded is correct, BUT (and it's a big BUT), is there anyway they would compensate me for CLOSING MY ACCOUNT and for WASTED COSTS/TIME. I probably wont have time now to prepare the wasted costs documentation but thought it might be worth a try.

I really dont want to go to court now and admit I've got it wrong but I really need to get a letter sent to the court on Wednesday morning to avoid messing them about and to ensure they receive any communications before the hearing date on Friday.

Really sorry for messing people about on here, but I was convinced I was right. Should I just give up now or is it worth pursuing, even just for the £200 I read somewhere people were getting for having their accounts closed. Is that right, or have I just dreamt it, and are they likely to agree? Indeed, if I ring Mr Kinnear, am I likely to speak to him, OR, if I email, am I likely to get a reply before the court date? I doubt it very much but thought someone on here might be more knowledgable than me. If so, help with wordings of emails or what to say would be greatly appreciated.

Help please!!!

(very scared and very disappointed)

Thanks again folks,

Laxdale

OK so no one replied but as time is running out and Mr Kinnear doesnt answer his phone I have sent the following email:-

Dear Mr Kinnear,

Further to your letter dated 11th July 07 in which you state that I have miscalculated the chargees due; upon further investigation, I realise now that the reason for the discrepancy is that the summary of charges due to be applied to your account that accompanies each statement and which states that charges were due to be applied in the forthcoming 21/28 days does not always include all refunds of charges that were subsequently applied. Having now double checked every last charge and refund I am happy to admit that the total refunds received amounts to the full amount. However, I am still prepared to attend the mercantile court hearing on Friday 20th July to show how I reached the final figure and how the summary statements did not provide a true reflection of charges incurred and subsequent refunds. In addition I am happy to attend, with backing from a well known consumer website, to argue the case for a wasted costs order as well as compensation for my account being closed down as a result of my actions to reclaim the charges levied against me.

However, I am prepared to write to the court to vacate the hearing prior to the 20th July on the condition that you are able to compensate me to the sum of £200 to cover both the compensation for my account being closed and for the wasted costs order. I am aware that this amount is considerably less than I can expect to receive in court having watched closely the outcomes of similar actions by individuals in a similar position. I therefore would appreciate a reply by the end of today (17th July 07) to confirm if this is acceptable. If not, I shall continue with my action in court on Friday armed with the full court bundle and examples of cases that would hopefully result in me receiving an amount in excess of £200.00 that I am requesting from your organisation today.

Please feel free to ring me directly on 07872 *** *** or reply to this email.

Yours faithfully,

Will let you know if I hear anything !!!

UPDATE:

Mr Kinnear just rang to say that I hadn't included compensation for closing my account or wasted costs on my original claim and therefore I couldnt turn up in court on Friday and request this. He got me a bit flustered actually, and having hung up I realise that I didnt claim for compensation because I didnt know when I submitted my claim that they would close my account. I think I am going to throw in the towel on this particular claim and then perhaps approach the financial ombudsman about compensation for my account being closed. Is this the best option? I cant really see me turning up at court to admit I got my sums wrong, and then pursue 2 separate issues (compensation and wasted costs), as I'm not really prepared and quite frankly a little tired of all this now. Is this the best option?

Thanks,

Laxdale

Yes, I think so.

The court will not be interested about the closure of your account and you certainly won't get compensation for it at the hearing. They've done nothing unlawful by closing your account so its not a court issue, and even if it was you'd need to start a new claim. You need to complain to the Ombudsman about account closure. If its clearly retaliatory I think you should be entitled to some compensation - possibly around £200.

The wasted costs is a possibility, although you've got to examine how strong a case you've got for them. You've not prepared a bundle or anything like that so I can't see how anything more than about 15 hours is realistic.

In my opinion you should pat yourself on the back and consider the claim won. Then complain to the ombudsman.;)

Mr Kinnear just rang to say that I hadn't included........ wasted costs on my original claim and therefore I couldnt turn up in court on Friday and request this.

Just for the record, thats rubbish. Costs are not claimed when you file your claim, they are assessed upon judgement or settlement.