Tesco's R&R policy :)

suzieq
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did you know..... that if an item is advertised in store as being on sale for a certain price, and you are then charged more for it, you can take it to customer services, where they refund you and you keep the item!

The official line is:

"In the unlikely event you are charged a higher price than on the shelf or the product we will refund your money and you can keep the product."

So now, every time I go into Tesco, I can't help but keep my eye out for anything :oops::D Not found anything yet though :rolleyes:

Suzie ~xx~

The world is divided into 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I did - 3 weeks ago, they had the Finest bacon on BOGOFF, which made it cheaper than ordinary one. We got 8 packs, got charged full whack. Straight to CS, full refund and keep the bacon. DH then went and got another 8 packs :D . We now have lots of bacon in the freezer.:p (The offer had actually finished, computer till had been updated, but not the stickers in the fridge section, tut-tut)

A few years ago, we got DH a shaver at £40 instead of £80, but came up full price, store would only refund difference. I pointed out their price policy, still wouldn't. Wrote to HO, got full refund, and a £10 voucher as apology.

I tell you what, Bookworm, as a self employed tradesman; I'd be terrified to work for you, every time I picked up a spanner I'd sh*t myself. Luckily, I'm three and a half years self employed, Customer base 400, complaints 2. Not bad I reckon, but please tell me you don't live in West Yorkshire! If you do I'm going ex directory!!!:)

all ideas and information exchanged willingly, bounce the ideas around,it helps everyone at the end of the day, good luck to you all and God Bless...LoL Graham & Yvonne

I tell you what, Bookworm, as a self employed tradesman; I'd be terrified to work for you, every time I picked up a spanner I'd sh*t myself. Luckily, I'm three and a half years self employed, Customer base 400, complaints 2. Not bad I reckon, but please tell me you don't live in West Yorkshire! If you do I'm going ex directory!!!:)

LOL, I'm self employed too, be warned, dealing with customers who seem to be hell bent on making life as difficult as possible for no apparent reason other than the fact that they apparently have nothing better to do is what has made me such an awkward twa......

I'm still too nice mannered to be self-employed according to most people who know me, but you soon learn to "eat or be eaten". :)

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

dealing with customers who seem to be hell bent on making life as difficult as possible for no apparent reason other than the fact that they apparently have nothing better to do

Thank you for that. It's the fact that I am one of those, it seems, according to you, that gives me the time to spend so many hours on this site helping other people. But your comment is appreciated. Not.

Standing up for your rights (and others') is NEVER a "nothing better to do" cause. The founders of this site, and quite a few of us, DO have lots of other things to do besides this. Thanks for lumping us with the afore-mentioned.

Sorry you took that comment personally Bookworm, and frankly I am extremely puzzled that you did do, because it was NOT aimed at you or anybody else on this site for that matter.

I was simply making a general remark about my experiences with customers I have had to deal with personally in the past whilst I have been self-employed. I was also referring to those who are apparently awkward just for the sake of it as opposed to those who make life difficult for banks etc. for all the right reasons but again I repeat my comment was not aimed at anybody on this site.

I have re-read my post and it still reads the same way to me, so here I am apologising for what appears to be your misinterpretation of my comment!

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Slightly off subject but a few years ago a store was advertising a coat ridiculously cheap (obviously a mistake) chanced it took it to the till and was told no chance at that price, just interested as I was under the impression that they had to sell at advertised price even if it was a mistake.

That's a common misconception. No, they don't have to. They can just refuse to sell it and withdraw it from sale.

If you were to go back 1 week later and it was still there at that price, you would then have ground to report them to Trading Standards.

Guest Lueeze

Nope just because its priced wrongly doesnt mean you can buy it at that price.

Normally the Shop will take it off sale for 24 hours, well this is what I did when I was a manager.

Funniest thing I heard was a friend who worked for Sainsburys on the customer services desk. They had to refund the customer no matter what.

Enter one tramp carrying a packet of open, half eaten chocolate biscuits. He said they were like that when he bought them and wanted a refund. Naturally my friend noticed the suspicious amounts of chocolate smudged into his beard and all over his hands, and pointed out that it looked obvious the customer had in fact just eaten the biscuits himself. The tramp denied it and the manager made my friend authorise a full refund!

(Yes I work for a bank but am here to help! Please be nice to me! :))

There's two threads on MoneySavingExpert.com that discusss this. One talks about the policy itself and people's experiences of it and the other is a report of overcharged items that people find.

All very useful.

take a look at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=36

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

I learned about this a few months ago and got a few things, but Tesco's round here seem to have got their act together.

BTW if you are overcharged in Asda you get the item for free and a £2 gift card. Also when I was in Asda the other week I noticed that one of the satsumas in the net I bought was going off. As I was in a hurry and the rest seemed ok I said I would take them anyway. The SA offered them to me for nothing as they would not be able to sell them so she did a refund and put them through for 0.00 so they would appear on my receipt and not appear stolen if I was stopped. I was well chuffed.

• Confused 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I learned about this a few months ago and got a few things, but Tesco's round here seem to have got their act together.

BTW if you are overcharged in Asda you get the item for free and a £2 gift card. EDIT....

Hmm. I thought you got a refund of the overcharge difference and a £2 gift card.

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Sometimes they try that but that isn't the policy so stick to your guns.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Drivers,

You raised an interesting point and there is a common misconception as Bookworm pointed out. In contract law and under the principles of offer and acceptance; if you go into a shop and put lets say a book into your basket and then proceed to the checkout, you are making the offer to the retailer to buy the item. The retailer can either accept or reject your offer to buy. They are not under any obligation to accept your offer however, there are exceptions to this, as is always the case with law!:|

If these principles operated in reverse, so for example, an incorrectly priced item that the retailer was bound to sell to you. It would mean that goods displayed in a shop would constitute an offer, and if you put an item in your basket that would constitute your acceptance and a binding agreement. It would prevent you from changing your mind about the item for something more suitable, which would be entirely unworkable.

I hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep with my fascinating(or is it mind numbingly boring) info about contract law!;)

Regards,

Sam.

Ive had a few things from Tesco's for free with this policy. The best that springs to mind was a set of 2 figures (toys) that fired light shots at eachother and then fell over and died. There were 2 in a box and 4 in the set. I picked up 2 for my son and was charged £22 rather than the £19.99 on the shelf. I got them for free. I went in the following week and they still hadnt corrected this mistake so I got the other set :D

I was in Netto a few weeks ago looking for an aluminium camping rotary airer they had on offer for £12.99. It was the last one in store, and to check I had remembered correctly I scanned it instore. It came up at £2.99. When we got to the till we were charged £12.99. Im the shrinking violet but my husband...ever the one for a bargain, told the cashier that it was £2.99 on the scanner. The manager appeared, scanned it himself to check and said it had been entered wrongly. He apologised and refunded us £10. Bargain! Especially as they are £25 in camping stores!

Jane

x

Sam, dead right, I was just about to post that. I did a stint in TKMax, where people loved to switch the price stickers and demand the low price. "But the sticker says,and I know my right".

I'm terribly sorry, but you don't.

However, for anyone who shops in TKMax, prices are reduced almost every day. if you go in early, they may not have been done yet . Here's the tip:

Go to customer services (better when it's quiet), and ask to check the prices on whatever you want to buy. (Unless you've seen them literally put it out).

You might be surprised. :) (You might not):roll:

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

• 1 month later...

when the budget on fags is annouced and prices rise, do it just when the labels are being changed. free fags.

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

I'm still too nice mannered to be self-employed according to most people who know me, but you soon learn to "eat or be eaten". :)

When I was setting up business I had to do a SWOT analysis of myself. In the Strengths column we had "Honest", but in the Weaknesses column I ended up with "Too damn honest" :rolleyes:

I'll never make my first million this way :(:p

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

The world is divided into 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks