• Tweets

• 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
    • I agree HB, but there were no laws broken - its perfectly legal to fleece the UK and its infrastructure - and labour were little better than the Tories Perhaps an option would be to ban the aussie investment fund from the UKs markets
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bill Meek v Abbey

Bill Meek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Using this invaluable site I have plucked up the courage to proceed against the Abbey for nearly £3000 on behalf of my wife. First of all a big thank you to all involved. I am at the stage where I have just recently sent them the 'Letter Before Action'.

Two questions (sorry to be dim): firstly, when I give the Abbey 14 days to respond does this mean '14 days' or '14 working days'?

Secondly, we have been married less than a year and my wife is still in that awkward time where she answers to two different surnames for different purposes. The Abbey debts were accrued under her former (unmarried) name, so this is the name she (we) have been corresponding with the Abbey in. Will it matter if we get to court and it transpires that she has been communicating with the Abbey in a name which is not strictly her current legal name?

very many thanks in advance

Many thanks for the advice! With the end of my second 14 days looming it now looks like I will have to proceed with court action against the Abbey; how do I decide whether to use 'Moneyclaim' or not? Is either method equally likely to succeed? Should I expect any problems using Moneyclaim which I would not encounter taking the other route?

as always, many many thanks

Many thanks for the advice! With the end of my second 14 days looming it now looks like I will have to proceed with court action against the Abbey; how do I decide whether to use 'Moneyclaim' or not? Is either method equally likely to succeed? Should I expect any problems using Moneyclaim which I would not encounter taking the other route?

as always, many many thanks

Both systems will have the same outcome. MCOL is easier because you dont have to go to the court, however the space for your POC is smaller this can lead to the solicitors asking you to provide more information. The route we now recommend is the N1.

Thanks very much guys! Okay, time's up for Abbey and I'm nervously filling in the N1 as you advise. I need to understand exactly what I am asking for, so again have questions, mostly regarding interest:

What I'm requesting is a refund of a big pile of excessive charges totalling nearly 3k over six years. I have no idea whether or how much interest I actually paid as a consequence of the charges, especially as the account was settled and closed in Feb 2006. I have completed the Excel spreadsheet detailing the charges, and calculated the eight percent interest based on 'days since offence'. I have corresponded with the Abbey in exactly the way and to the timescale you suggest on your site, and they haven't responded at all, except right at the start when they sent me my back statements.

So: does it make a difference that I don't know how much interest I actually paid on these charges? Do I just claim the eight percent anyway? As the account hasn't been accruing interest since last February, do the 'days since offence' figures still apply when I calculate the interest? And what is the 0.00022 thing? (I don't understand this at all).

As you can see I am pretty confused about the interest; I don't really know what I'm asking for and any clarity would be really appreciated.

Also lastly, is it ok for me to name Abbey as the defendant at their Triton Square address, when all my previous correspondence to them has been to their Prescot St, E1 address?

with many, many thanks as always, you guys are fantastic.

Bill, What interest rate is a popular question but the answer isn't black and white. For starters, have a read of this thread :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/18313-why-no-one-claiming.html

and post #4 on http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/45835-jade-simone-abbey.html?highlight=statutory+contractual+downside#post459722

By the way 0.00022 is just 8%/365 (ie daily rate of interest). Regards Mad Nick

FWIW, I think your circumstances point to claiming 16.9% contractual interest (which is calculated compound) from the date of each charge to now on the grounds of mutuality and reciprocity. But please, please read those threads and others - because whatever you do, you need to understand it so that you could defend in negotiation with Abbey or in Court with a Judge.

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Thanks Nick, those threads make very interesting reading. I'm beginning to think that my case is a little unusual, and I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat... The thing is, I'm doing this on behalf of my wife, for an account which was settled and closed nearly a year ago. I wasn't involved in her finances at the time, so I have no memory of what went on, no knowledge of what interest rate my wife was being charged, and in fact no actual evidence that she was charged any interest at all. The back statements Abbey sent are from microfiche (I think..), and pretty simplistic so don't help with this.

As you say I need to understand what I'm claiming and would hate to be caught out; firstly, would I be right in saying that she is due the eight percent interest *whatever* because of what it says in the County Courts Act? If so, does the fact that the account was closed nearly a year ago affect the 'days since offence' calculation on the Excel spreadsheet?

I'm really not sure I could claim the 'contractual interest' as I have too much information missing to do it with any confidence; in the worst case scenario would I just have to claim the charges back without the interest?

thanks again and sorry to be a dummy, I'll get there in the end.

Bill, if you're unsure, keep it simple : just claim the charges and calculate 8% interest for each charge from its date to now (charge x no. days x 8%/365). Ignore the fact that the account was closed. File the N1 attaching the schedule of charges & interest. Abbey will lodge a defence, push it to a Court date, then negotiate a settlement with you beforehand. They might argue the interest figure is too high because the account was closed in Feb 06. Up to you to accept a lesser figure or not. Then again, they might not realise. Regards, Mad Nick

FWIW

The interest you charge them ie either Sec 69 (8%) or contractual interest is payable until they settle the claim.

Sec 69 only appears on your claim when you file at court, so once you submit your claim to court then they would need to pay you the 8%.

Advantage of contractual interest, apart from the rate and method of applying it, is that it is part of your claim from the start i.e. the prelim.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks Nick and Glenn, ok I'm ready! Just one (extremely irritating) thing remains; on the schedule of charges I presented the Abbey with at the Prelim and LBA stages I overcalculated the total by £30 out of a total of £2923 (I'm really cross with myself for letting this through; Excel did the sums so who knows what went wrong....anyway): *please* tell me I don't have to start the correspondence process with them all over again*?*!* (the amount is definitely right now, suffice it to say..)

Can I just proceed with the N1 simply asking for £2923 instead of £2953 on the basis that they have not responded to *any* of my correspondence, acknowledged my grievance, questioned the amount or admitted liability in the meantime?

sorry guys, so gutted!

Just about to take N1 to Court in person, when a letter arrives from Abbey:

Dear XXX

Thank you for contacing us and I am sorry that you have been so unhappy that you have felt you must complain.

One of my team will be responsible for investigating your complaint and I have enclosed our Complaints leaflet, which explains our proceedure for doing this. High quaility customer service is of great importance to us at Abbey and we will do everything we can to resolve your complaint in a timely and satisfactory manner.

I know it is important to you that we resolve your complaint quickly, but we want to do a thorough investigation and sometimes this can take time. If we have not contacted you before then we will write to you in four weeks to let you know what is happening.

Although I do not know what the outcome will be, I do hope that we will be able to find a solution that you are happy with

Yours sincerely

Andrew Nanson

Business Manager

I have seen this standard letter before on the Bowkett v Abbey thread. I intend to follow my timetable, not theirs, as repeatedly advised. Do I need to reply to Andrew Nanson though? (If so, what do I say?) or can I ignore the letter altogether?

Just to check, I take to court 3 x N1, 3 x schedule of charges inc 8% interest. Anything else? Would they also want copies of correspondence with the Abbey to date?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Have filed a court claim against the Abbey, they have acknowledged and stated that they will defend the claim. Have received a slightly unnerving letter from them today though:

Dear XX

[Paraphrasing]..We note you are taking us to court...

We are in the process of revising this claim and preparing our response. A defence will be filed in due course. In the meantime, we note you have claimed £xxxx in respect of charges that you say have been made on your Abbey account. It would be helpful at this stage if you could provide email and telephone contact details to us.

We look forward etc etc.

What the heck is happening? Why do they want contact details? Do I respond??!

Thanks as always!

Hi Bill,

Sounds like you are two weeks ahead of me, so I'm reading your thread with interest. re the letter from Abbey, I've seen it almost word for word on other threads, so it sounds like a standard reply. Another member said he would only give them e-mail as he didn't want them phoning up, but the final pre-court steps negotiations seem to take place by phone

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Hi bill,

You can speak for your wife, she just needs to give her permission, be it in writing or verbaly over the telephone. You would be her reprasentative in court and as long as she signs and understands anything relating to the case, there is no problem. On the N1 claim form the statement of truth at the end gives you the oppertunity to be the claiments representative. HTH.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Okay, things are getting somewhat confusing here, a bit of reassurance would be *really* appreciated. Abbey have acknowledged that we're taking them to court and pledged to defend the claim. In the meantime we have received two 'form letters' from Abbey in two days, from two different Abbey addresses:

One was the common form letter repeated on here many times: we feel the charges are not unlawful, but we will be sending you a GOGW of £40, and if we do not hear from you in x weeks we will consider this matter closed.

(FORTY QUID?!!!! Our claim is for £3600!!!)

In the other, which I reported yesterday, they (scarily) acknowledged the court claim against them and asked my wife to supply mobile and email addresses so they could contact her.

Okay [*deep sigh*]... I intend to do the following: *please* can someone reassure me that I'm doing the right thing...

1) I intend to wait for the forty quid to arrive, reply to the first Abbey letter accepting the money whilst telling them I still intend to pursue them for the rest. I will then tell the court I have received forty pounds, and as a consequence ask them revise the amount of my claim downwards.

2) My wife will respond to the second letter telling Abbey that I (her husband) will be representing her, and giving them my *email only*, so I can keep everything strictly in writing.

3) Lastly, I intend to tell the court that I will be representing my wife, with her permission, as I have already failed to do what Bish said (sorry Bish..) and use the N1 to do this. From that point onwards I will correspond directly with Abbey as myself, despite the claim being in my wife's name.

Please could someone tell me these are the right things to do as I'm getting really uncomfortable and nervous with this now.

Many, many thanks as always,

Bill

Bill, sounds good to me although I wouldn't bother to wait for the £40 to appear and I would see their request for E-mail and phone details as a very good sign - they'll need those to settle out of court with you. I had the same. And when you reply, don't forget to ask again for them to disclose the breakdown of their costs which they incurred for your breaches. They'll keep on ignoring (or as they now seem to be doing say "we are not obliged to give that to you") - it'll tighten the noose a bit further ! Regards, Mad Nick

Hi Bill,

Agree with Nick, looks ok to me. If they do ring your wife she will just say they need to deal with you regarding the claim and hand the phone over to you or ring back when you are available. In my opinion it is better to do it via email or mail as you have a record of all that is said and time to think before you reply. You are doing fine, and well on top of things. Best wishes.

Regards bish.

Bill regarding informing the court, just say you have accepted the GOGW as partial settlement. No need to amend the claim as that costs money. You only have to inform the court if you receive any money from the defendant. As you say wait until you get the money first. My first contact from the abbey in the early days was a phone call offering £50 which was upped to £55 when I informed him that the claim was for over £8k. I declined the offer at that time, a further GOGW of £1080 was received along with 50% & 75% offers. Still waiting for the 100% offer. Best wishes.

Regards bish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just received the same letter as Tinkabella this morning, offering half the outstanding amount plus court costs (for us, nearly £2K) so we are at exactly the same stage. I'll be watching Tink's thread with interest (pardon the pun)!!

Enclosed with our letter is Abbey's defence, parts of which bear repeating (ie they're the bits that make me nervous):

At court the defendant will refer to the following extracts [of the Terms and Conditions]:

1. "You can apply for an overdraft on your account. If we give you an overdraft we will tell you your limit and the interest rates applicable"

2."An unauthorised overdraft occurs if without our agreement you overdraw your account or exceed the limit of an overdraft which we have agreed"

3."If you have an unauthorised overdraft you will be charged fees as set out in our Tariff of Charges or specified to you and these may include fees for transactions we are unable to process due to lack of available funds in your account".

Therefore by virtue of the Conditions referred to above such overdrawing was unauthorised and in breach of contract and the claimant became liable to pay fees to the defendant in accordance with its Tariff of Charges.

The defendant denies that the amount of £X,XXX or any other amount was unlawfully debited and repayment is denied. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to claim interest in the sum claimed or at all.

The claimants contention that the fees are unenforceable or "penalty charges" is denied. The fees reflect, and are proportionate to, the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the claimant's breach of contract and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage suffered by the defendant.

Further or in the alternative, even if the said fees are not proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred (which is denied), the Claimant remains liable to pay such fees as may be found to be proportionate and the Claimant is not entitled to claim payment of the full amount of each charge made to the account.

So; do we accept the GOGW and inform the court we have done so, or just turn it down completely? Do we even need to respond to Abbey at all?

AQ is now here and ready to fill in, so more developments soon.

a million thanks as always

Bill

Hi all. I seem to be at exactly the same stage as Tinkerbella22, Nos4r2, adw and diomedes. Am about to send reply to Abbey roughly as per diomedes posting (#11 on Nos4r2 thread, for which thanks!!). Good luck to all you guys, as always.

While I'm here just a quickie question: looking a little way ahead, is the court going to require me to produce a copy of the original contract or Terms and Conditions for the account? This could be a problem as the account has been closed a while, and we don't have a copy of these any more...

thanks,

Bill