• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

LAPTOP £100 CHEAPER **help**

colinc1981
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Colin

I strongly suspect there's nothing you can do apart from possibly have a word with the store manager and see if he's prepared/able to help. But don't hold your breath for too long!!!!

It's not uncommon for shops to reduce prices after the pre-Christmas trading period to shift stock.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Careful Omi, that sort of suggestion can get you (rightly) deregistered from this site. This group can claim the moral high ground only as long as its members stick to the law. Purposely breaking something and then returning it as faulty is fraud. The OP has no entitlement to redress in this instance, and must take the experience from this time to make sure to shop during the sales next time.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

One possible way of returning the item, to gain a refund, then buying the same item at the cheaper price, is take it back to the shop you bought it, explain this was for a christmas gift, however the person whom it was for, has got one already, hence the item is not required, it is classed as unwanted gift, and either a credit note or refund will be made, you can then go to another shop with the same company and buy the same item at the cheaper price, this isn't fraud in any form, all shops offer full refunds on unwanted gifts. :) food for thought, as some1 mentioned above, shops lower prices once xmas is over, anything that you might be thinking of buying, such as ur laptop, with it so close to the sales, it might have been worth waiting that extra couple of days b4 buying... it can save many pounds in the long run. All have a great new year eve.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

I too would go down the route of saying it was an unwanted Christmas present. You've nothing to lose and possibly £100 to gain. Let us all know how you get on.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Had the same sort of thing in our local Tesco. The day before Christmas Eve we got some bags of potatoes for £2.20 a bag. On Christmas Eve we realised we needed more potatoes so I went to Tesco. Lo and behold, they were down to 10p a bag. Grrrrr.

Halifax - Credit Card: 14/11/06 sent S.A.R, 29/12/06 sent Prelim, 11/01/07 1st bog-off received, 15/01/07 LBA sent, 01/02/2007 MCOL started for £1801 (inc court costs and 8% int.), 02/02/2007 MCOL cancelled... , 09/06/2007 Court claim started, 01/06/2007 Claim Acknowledged, 07/06/2007 Claim concluded, £1540 to be reimbursed into CC account.

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Storecards (3): 11/06/07 sent S.A.R, 15/06/07 Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

GE Capital Bank Ltd - Wife's Storecards (2): not started yet...

Nationwide - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Current A/C: not started yet...

Lloyds TSB Bank Ltd - Business A/C: not started yet...

and the rest I haven't remembered so far... : not started yet...

hehehehehe this most likly was due to the issue of best b4 date, the potatoes if not sold on that day, might have passed the sell by date, by the time the shop re-opened after the xmas holidays, i went round 3 supermarkets on xmas eve, and all 3 were selling stock off really cheap, to which i picked up some real bargains, 10p for a bag of spuds woohoo its like eating for near enough free. hope you enjoyed them. :)

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

Careful Omi, that sort of suggestion can get you (rightly) deregistered from this site. This group can claim the moral high ground only as long as its members stick to the law. Purposely breaking something and then returning it as faulty is fraud. The OP has no entitlement to redress in this instance, and must take the experience from this time to make sure to shop during the sales next time.

Ooops, sorry, I'm new here, so I'm still getting into the lengths we're allowed to hypothetically go to to save a few quid.:oops:

Moral highground... duly noted... sounds like an exciting new place for me :D

Just my Opinion, But i doubt very much if there is anything you can do at all, As suggested above it may be worth a word with the Manager but I think knowing PC World that your request will fall on deaf ears.

Obviously you were happy with the price that you originally purchased the laptop for, and It is a well known fact that that most shops drop prices on boxing day to maximise their christmas turnover figures.

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

I'm afraid to say, as a few have said, that I don't think you're entitled to anything. It's one of those things, you a buy an item and a few days later it's reduced...that's what happens in sales. You wouldn't complain if it had gone up lol

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

:lol: I promise I'll stop hijacking the thread after this... :lol:

The Power of Cod

Far away in the tropical waters of the Caribbean two prawns were swimming around, one called Justin and the other called Christian.

They were constantly being hassled and bothered by sharks that patrolled the area. Finally one day, Justin said to Christian, "I'm bored and frustrated at being a prawn. I want to be a shark, then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten."

As Justin had his mind firmly fixed on becoming a shark, a mysterious cod appears and says, "Your wish is granted" and lo and behold, Justin turns into a shark.

Horrified, Christian immediately swims away afraid of being eaten by his old mate. Time goes by and Justin becomes bored and lonely as a shark. All his old mates swam away soon as he came near. Justin didn't realise his menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight.

One day while out swimming alone, he sees the mysterious cod again and can't believe his luck. He begs the cod to change him back to a prawn and lo and behold, he does.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes he swims back to his friends and buys them all a cocktail. Looking around the gathering on the reef, he asks where his friend Christian is. "He's at home distraught since his best friend became a shark," says one of the prawns.

Eager to put things right, he sets off to Christian's house. As he opens the coral gate, memories come flooding back to him. He bangs on the door and shouts, "It's me, Justin, your old friend! Come out and see me again!"

Christian replied, "No way man, you are the enemy and I won't be tricked."

Justin cried back, "No that was the old me. I've changed, " I've seen Cod and I'm a prawn again Christian!"

-----

And the moral of that story is ??? RE lap top had same happen to me returned goods because some one else had bought same thing but store would only refund me the new discounted price which was £10 less then i had payed pre xmas store said unless goods were faulty they were only legaly required to isue credit note for current price of replacment goods not price I had payed..

This is MY oppinion for what it worth

BARCLAYS BANK LBA 23/10/05 £2,626.67:)MCOL ISSUED 11/11/05

LOMBARD DIRECT LBA + Default removal 25/10/06 £290.50 :grin: Received settlement but they won,t remove default

BARCLAYCARD LFB 10/9/06 £320.00 :cool:

AKTIV KAPITAL LBA DEFAULT REMOVAL letter sent 22/9/06 + 23/10/06 and as yet have had no reply (sent letter to all 3 CRA re-there none compliance):confused:

"divant worry aboot what ya owe let them woory that want,s it off ya"

Hmm...when I worked in retail, if the customer returning the item had proof of purchase, we gave the price they paid for it; no proof of purchase, and we would only refund the current price of the item, as we had no way of knowing when they'd bought it. Did you take in your receipt, or a CC statement as proof? In any case, a shop is really only obliged to refund if the item is faulty, or not as described, so refunding you anything for an unwanted gift is in addition to your statutory rights, a bonus to ensure customer goodwill.

-----

:lol: I promise I'll stop hijacking the thread after this... :lol:

The Power of Cod

Far away in the tropical waters of the Caribbean two prawns were swimming around, one called Justin and the other called Christian.

They were constantly being hassled and bothered by sharks that patrolled the area. Finally one day, Justin said to Christian, "I'm bored and frustrated at being a prawn. I want to be a shark, then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten."

As Justin had his mind firmly fixed on becoming a shark, a mysterious cod appears and says, "Your wish is granted" and lo and behold, Justin turns into a shark.

Horrified, Christian immediately swims away afraid of being eaten by his old mate. Time goes by and Justin becomes bored and lonely as a shark. All his old mates swam away soon as he came near. Justin didn't realise his menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight.

One day while out swimming alone, he sees the mysterious cod again and can't believe his luck. He begs the cod to change him back to a prawn and lo and behold, he does.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes he swims back to his friends and buys them all a cocktail. Looking around the gathering on the reef, he asks where his friend Christian is. "He's at home distraught since his best friend became a shark," says one of the prawns.

Eager to put things right, he sets off to Christian's house. As he opens the coral gate, memories come flooding back to him. He bangs on the door and shouts, "It's me, Justin, your old friend! Come out and see me again!"

Christian replied, "No way man, you are the enemy and I won't be tricked."

Justin cried back, "No that was the old me. I've changed, " I've seen Cod and I'm a prawn again Christian!"

LOL

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,

i bought a laptop @ PC world on the 23/12/06 i then went in to the same shop yesterday to buy a case for it and discovered it was £100 cheaper , can i do anything about this ?

You may be able to get a £100 Refund, PC World have a price promise scheme but it is down to the store if they allow it or not. If you find a cheaper price within 7 days of buying the laptop they will refund the difference. So they should honour the £100 refund, or otherwise they may give you £100 Worth of store stock in exchange.

If you brought it on a credit agreement then you won't be able to receive the £100 to my knowledge but they should honour the £100 refund and allow you to exchange it for Items up to or over that value of £100 (if over you may ahve to pay difference). Seeing that its been now 8 days you may still be able to claim it but like i said before it will be down to the duty or manager on that day. Eavch store is different my local Pc World do it up to 7 Days they may do it up to 14 but there procedures is 7 days only.

Good Luck with it.

Goodwill from PC World...LLF that word has been removed from their Managers Handbook..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

I heard on the radio a retailer would offer the difference in price if something bought within 30 days was reduced in a sale....I cannot remember for the life of me who it was - i thought it was Amazon, but can't find anything there! :confused:

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)