Jump to content


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 
       

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

       

      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Claim against builders – £16.5 K


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

Hello, to all.

This is just meant by way of a brief introduction - as requested on the home page.

I am a private individual and I am in the early stages of bringing a MoneyClaim Online action against a firm of builders who did some substandard work at my house.

The builders have hired a solicitor, but I am hoping to manage the claim myself in order to minimise costs (because I am aware that I might never actually get paid, even if I get a judgement in my favour). There is a fair bit of Gov.UK -source guidance online about the MoneyClaim Online process and the relevant Practice Directions are all there to read, but I can't find the answer to my problem there, so I thought it would be worthwhile to consult on this forum where there may well be actual real people who have encountered this difficulty.

I have had a good nose around the forum and can see loads of good information, but nothing that quite addresses the sticking point I have at the moment, so I'll jump right in ...

I issued my claim for £16.5k using the online claims process. On the day before the period for response expired I got an email from a firm of solicitors saying they had accepted instructions to act on behalf of the builders, and would I agree to a three week extension to allow them to file a defence. I agreed to that request. I realise that is a week longer than they would have got if they had simply filed an acknowledgement of service, but I reckoned there was no point in being deliberately obstructive at this stage. A week or so later I got a letter containing a without prejudice offer to pay £9000 in full settlement. I declined the offer.

I heard nothing more until two days before the extended deadline was due, when one of the defendants (it is a two-man partnership) called me up and explained that they were very keen to settle the matter and they had a meeting the next day with their solicitor for next steps. We talked for a while and negotiated. We ended up at a point where I said that I would be prepared to accept £15k in settlement, payable in instalments. I said I would text him the details in time for his meeting with his solicitor at 9.00 am the next day. This I did, settling out the amount I would accept and the precise dates and amounts of the instalments. He texted back saying that was fine and he would get his solicitor to put together an agreement to formalise it.

Next morning at 9.30 am I got a text saying they they couldn't manage that amount over that schedule of payments and offering a lower amount. I texted back declining their suggested variations. The next day I get an email from the solicitor with an attachment of a full defence to my claim. I wrote back telling him that, maybe he wasn't aware of it but his clients and I had agreed full and clear terms for a settlement the day before their meeting and in the circumstances I didn't see how they were in a position to file anything other than a part admission given that they were contractually bound by the agreement we had made. I provided him with my minute of the phone conversation and with the exact wording of the follow-up texts. That was a week ago and I have heard nothing back from him since.

He has been unable to file his full defence with the Court because there is currently a bar in place while the Court deals with my request to change some details of the original claim, but I am concerned that when the bar is lifted the court will accept his full defence and I have no way of telling the court "Stop! The Defendants and I have agreed a settlement". 

What do you think is the best way to proceed with this matter?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the general story but I think in order to help you we would need to have a more detailed chronology.

What is the name of the company/partnership that you are suing? Are they simply a partnership or are they limited liability company?

Please give us a bullet pointed breakdown of events from the very beginning until the end – a chronology.

What are the amendments that you are trying to make to your claim? Of course once an amended claim is filed then they have an opportunity to file an amended defence.
Also, even though there may be negotiations and the potential agreement to avoid any further expense and going to trial, the fact that you have then tried to amend the claim may mean that any previous agreements are negated by your own action.

We need to know far more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • BankFodder changed the title to Claim against builders – £16.5 K

Thank you, Bankfodder. Here goes ...

-   On 26th May 2023 I contracted with Steven Lock and Nathan Lock (trading as SJL Home Improvements) to re-roof part of my house for a price of £36,500. SJL Home Improvements is not a limited company.

-  The work was carried out over the following 3 - 4 weeks.

-  When the work was finished I suspected that the job was poorly executed so I commissioned a qualified roof surveyor to inspect the work and report.

-  The surveyor inspected the roof on the 5th July and his report dated 6th July confirmed that the work was far short of a reasonable standard of competence in almost all respects and in its current state presented a serious public health safety risk. He recommended that the entire job was re-done by competent and accredited roofers.

-  On 7th July 2023 I informed the defendants that the job would have to be re-done and that I was taking legal advice how to proceed. I sent the defendants a copy of the report. The defendants offered to come back to the house to fix the faults. I declined their offer since I now realised that they did not have the professional skills to undertake the job and in view of the critically dangerous condition of the roof the surveyor had recommended that I have the roof re-laid by a different and accredited firm.

-   Between 20th July and 18th August the roof was stripped and completely re-laid by a firm of professionally qualified roofers. 

-  On 7th August a firm of local solicitors which I had consulted sent a letter before action to the defendants outlining the basis of my claim and asking for a full refund of the contract price (which had all been paid). She asked for a reply within 14 days.

-  The defendants emailed back to the solicitor reiterating that they were willing to attend to rectify the work themselves. There was then no further contact from them at this stage.

-  On 18th September (by which time I had taken over conduct of the case in the interests of saving costs) I wrote again to the defendants with a second letter before action. My letter was in effect an expanded version of the letter the solicitor had previously sent with some further explanatory detail. It also contained a further copy of the surveyor's report, a full suite of the quotes I had received for the rectification of the work by another firm (all of which had by then been accepted, performed and paid for except for one, which I was unable to proceed with at this stage due to lack of funds).

-  My letter before action (as mentioned in the last bullet point) reduced the amount claimed to approximately £16.5k damages under any permutation of the following three heads: i) damages in lieu of recission on account of the defendant's written misrepresentations that they used only qualified roofing operators and that they were "proud members of Check-a-Trade" and "My Builder" (they didn't and they weren't) ii) damages at Common Law for breach of the express terms of the contract, iii) damages under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for breach of the "reasonable care and skill" terms implied by s.49 of that act. In addition I inserted a further head of claim under Tort law for conversion of the roof tiles they removed from the site without my permission.

-  On 22nd September the defendants telephoned me and again offered to come and sort out the problems with the roof. I advised them that it had all been done and it remained only to settle-up financially between us.

-  In the absence of any further contact from the defendants, I initiated online proceedings resulting in the issue of a claim on 5th October. The claim was for the £16.5k damages as explained in my letter of 18th September, plus court fees of about £850 plus interest. The claim was deemed served on 10th October

-  On 17th October I started to become concerned that in my initial claim I had identified the defendants by name, but had not included their trading style (t/a SJL Home Improvements). I was keen that any award I might eventually get would be enforceable against the defendants on a joint and several basis, and that I should therefore have specified the partnership name in the claim.

- On 17th October I applied on Form N244 for a Judge's permission to amend and re-serve my claim with the inclusion of the trading style. The application could not be made online and had to be by paper copy letter to the Civil National Business Centre. I have heard nothing about the progress of this application despite calling the CNBC twice to enquire about progress. Eventually the online progress checker showed that a bar had been placed for the defendants on 13th November, which I take to be an indication that this application is now being processed.

-  On 23rd October the defendants filed an acknowledgement of service.

-  On 24th October I received a letter from the defendants' solicitor advising me that they had accepted instructions and asking for an extension of time until 16th November in which to file a full defence . I agreed to their request.

-  On 3rd November I received a letter from the defendant's solicitor containing a without prejudice offer to settle for £9000. I declined the offer by letter dated 13th November.

-  On 14th November I received a phone call from the defendants. They wanted to negotiate a settlement to avoid the need to file a defence and ultimately go to court. After some discussion I said that I would agree to an amount of £15k by way of settlement and I would also be open to instalment payments over a short period. They were due to meet their solicitor the next morning at 9.00am to discuss next steps. I said I would let them know my precise requirements before the meeting with their solicitor.

-  Later that evening I texted them my precise requirements for the amount required in settlement and the schedule of instalment payments.

-  Within minutes they responded saying that was acceptable and they would ask their solicitor to put together an agreement embodying those terms.

-  The next morning (15th November) at 9.30 am I got a text from the defendants saying they couldn't get the money together for that amount over that payment schedule and they went on to propose a lower amount and a longer schedule. I responded by text declining their revised offer.

-  On 15th November the defendants' solicitor wrote to me enclosing a full defence to my claim, saying he had also filed it with the court. Because of the bar in place on the online proceedings (see above) this defence does not appear to have been processed yet.

-  On 16th November I wrote to the defendants' solicitor pointing out that his clients had already agreed terms for settlement and payment the evening before his meeting with them. In the circumstances I did not believe they were in a position to file anything other than part acceptance of my claim. In view of their contractual commitment to settle on the terms discussed, the full defence appears not to be legally competent.

-  I have had no reply from the solicitor despite a reminder on 21st November.

-  The MoneyClaim Online process does not, as far as I am aware, provide for the claimant to notify the court that they have received a satisfactory offer in settlement.  I am concerned that if their solicitor continues to ignore the matter of the contractual offer and acceptance, then when the bar is lifted the court will process the solicitor's full defence and the arrangements for contractual settlement will be unknown to the court.

How should I proceed to ensure this cannot happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...