BankFodder BankFodder

FesterG

Is Halifax Ripping Me Off???

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4906 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can someone please tell me if what halifax are trying to do is legit?

I am currently attempting to claim a refund of bank charges (around £1200) and they have offered me £950 - saying that they will use £680 to pay off my credit card (which is a different account number and is under its limit) and send me a cheque for the balance! Can they do this?

Very determined

FesterG

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well i don't really think they can as they are two different accounts really. I can't imagine why they want you to use it to pay off your credit card considering that they are making money on it. Will it make much difference though??

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Is your card over your limit ?

If it is, then yes they can do that because the accounts are in the same name and therefore financially connected.

If the CC account is not over-limit then the only thing that I can see is that the bank is planning a retaliatory closure of your accounts because you had the temerity to threaten them with court action.

Have you got a parachute account. If not I would suggest that you open one A.S.A.P.

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Oh yes they can - it was the cause of all my hassle with the Halifax as they took money out of my bank account to pay my Halifax One credit card account! No warning, no notification of any sort, I only found out when direct debits bounced and I queried a couple of transactions at the bank - Card Services had taken them.

OK, so I was behind with payments due to unemployment but was struggling through and paying my bills etc. via my bank account until this happened.

There are some strange terms and conditions which are along the lines of them being able to take money from one account to pay another with HBOS. They don't have to tell you they are going to do it either.

BUT - There is hope. Call the person who sent your offer letter and negotiate with them. Look at my thread (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/39442-old-dj-halifax.html) and you'll see how I did it.

If you are behind with credit card payments then they have a (legal?) claim on any money, including refunds, going to your account.

Simply tell them that it's not acceptable and you'll see them in court if they persue this further. They may change their minds...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I intend to take your advice.

The credit card is up to date with payments and is not over its limit, so I will ring them and play dumb, and ask why the amount on the letter is different to the amount on the form they want me to sign.

FesterG