• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mechs and Wife V The Halifax **WON**

mechs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Gang,

We have today written to the Halifax requesting all the info under the DPA and will keep you informed of the progress .........I know under employment law you can quote other cases so was wondering if you could quote simular successful cases in this type of claim.

Also I had an account before I got married four years ago which I had held for about 10 years can I go back on that account 6 years or for the last two years regarding my charges.

And thanks to you all for keeping this site open for others like me.:D

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bookworm, will have to get my skates on then to find this old account lol

:D

In progress:

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

My Old account was a joint account with my Mother who died two years ago is there any loophole they can use on this account does anyone know? Ie we will only pay half the interest or it no longer is binding

Any help would be appreciated

In progress:

After emailing the Halifax through one of the contacts regarding my second account with my mother I recieved an email back saying that my email had been passed on to the customer relations department, so at least they can`t say they have not recieved my DPA on my second account, will keep you all informed :D

In progress:

I have sent another email asking them if they had recieved my DPA have recieved an auto responce

In progress:

:mad: My wife sent one of our DPA request letter via Royal Mail recorded, but though its been over 4 days it is still not showing on Track & Trace that it has been received. Should we wait to receive our statements or resend the letter again? My wife has sent a copy of the letter by email.

Update: My wife has just been on the phone to Royal Mail and evidently with recorded delivery it can take anything up to 17 days for it to be delivered!!!! Only with Special Delivery can you ensure that it is delivered the following day! Totally disgusted!

In progress:

Today had a letter back from the Halifax in reply to my email from a Helen Rawnsley customer relations managerin which she states

Quote/ Dear mr and mrs ***** Thank you for your email on 27/4/2006 my understanding of your complaint is that you are unhappy with the charges debited on your account since the year 2000.

Were keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. A customer Relations manager will investigate the points you have raised and you will recieve a reply shortly, but certainly no later than 4 weeks/quote it goes on to say they have enclosed a leaflet which explains how they handle your complaint

The letter was dated the 2nd of May so do they have the 40 days from 2nd of may or the 27th april does anyone know please

Incidently the letter sent by snail mail has not been answered to as of yet ( perhaps the snail got run over)

In progress:

:? sorry, I should have realised that as they had received my email on the 27th April then the 40 days run from that date and not the 2nd May ... after all the banks are running to our schedule and not their own!! :grin:

In progress:

Had a letter back from the bank today signed by a Damian Robertshaw with the ususal defence and the signing of a contract so they can take these charges from you, but also a letter stating four bounced dds they had during 2001 and 2002 and they are willing to pay up in full total amount £146, do I trust this letter that this is the full amount or do I ask for statements to confirm they are being honest.

They also go on to say they cant say whether they have done any manual interventions as there is no statuory obligation to to record this information.

Can anyone give me advise please as they have given me 8 weeks to write back to them if I dont write back to them then they will record it that i was happy with the letter....

In progress:

Mechs, reference your account you held for 10 years. I'd go ahead and claim.

If you don't have the statements, they might only send you the last 2 years worth of statements, I would claim for those two years then if they did not provide the remaining data, I would estimate the remaining 8 years by mulitplying the first figure by 4.

There is quite a bit of discussion going on about the claim being statute barred due to being over the 6 year limit.

My argument is that they have decieved you and hidden the true nature of these charges, this means that the 6 year ruling starts from the day you found out, i.e the day you joing CAG.

Look here for more info:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3598

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Thanks DeemacPerth,

I looked into the other discussion and as stated there requested a full dpa disclosure (after waiting on hold for about 10 minutes gosh they were busy) now they want to charge me £10 as well cheeky blighters lol

What they are saying is that they only hold records for the last 6 years so have asked also for a copy of my original contract, bet they have that saved somewhere :eek: so will have to wait and see, they also tried to have the 40 days started again ........did I agree YEAH RIGHT what do they think I am .

Will keep you posted

In progress:

This is an email I have composed and was going to send to the halifax does this sound ok?

Dear Mr Robertshaw,

Roll Number *********

Reference number ********

Thank you for your letter dated the 8th May 2006,

I am fully aware that the bank incurs charges when people go overdrawn and I am also in agreement to pay bank charges, what I am not in agreement with is the amount you charge as this is excessive.

The OFT has ruled that banks in general not only the Halifax have overcharged their customers and have ruled that it is illegal to make a profit out of these charges and have set a figure for these charges yet the Halifax have never written to us saying so, or reimbursed the charges neither have you offered an explanation of how you arrive at these charges perhaps you can now, I would like a full rundown, after all is not the letter computer generated and does it cost £39 for the paper and ink?

You state that we must have funds in our account to cover our transactions yet most of the time people go overdrawn because the bank has slapped an illegal charge to the account and then it snowballs over to the next month, I am only claiming back what is legally mine as set out by English law, yet from the tone of your letter you are saying that I have no right to do so

After discussing the DPA with one of your colleagues this afternoon I have requested a full disclosure and look forward to receiving it within the timescale allowed by law just to remind you the clock started running on the 27th April.

As for the offer of £146 I will accept it as an interim payment if you wish to send it to me but am not accepting it as a final payment for the time being, I need to gain further legal advice

Yours Sincerley

In progress:

Depending on where you are with your claim Mechs.

If you have submitted the first LBA then I would header that e-mail in bold and red 'without prejudice', this way they can't submit it to court. Not that anything is wrong with the e-mail, but just limit what they have to submit.

Have you submitted the DPA? I'm a bit confused as you've got 2 accounts that you're talking about. Maybe you should start a new one for the one you used to have with your mother. It's a seperate claim.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Hi Deemac,

We sent the email a couple of days ago and are still awaiting a reply, least I am giving them a chance to justify their charges .....if they reply to it LOL

This is indeed the account I had with my mother so will try and change the title of the thread and start a new one for the wife and myself :D I think the Bristol and West could be next on my hit list

In progress:

:D Halifax took £10 this morning for DPA ... first time that I have been delighted that they have taken something from me :lol:

In progress:

Guest Lueeze

Im afraid the 40 days start from when they recieved payment not before.

Sorry and good Luck

Lou xx

Im afraid the 40 days start from when they recieved payment not before.

Sorry and good Luck

Lou xx

Hi Lueeze is this from the date they recieved it or the date they cashed the cheque?

thanks for the good luck :D

In progress:

:D Received the following letter today dated 15th May '06

Dear Mr & Mrs 'Mechs'

Completion of Request For a List of Transactions and Charges - D/XXXXXXXX-XX

Thank you for your letter requesting specific information on the above account.

I confirm that copies of duplicate statements have been ordered and will be sent to you under separate cover at the latest by 6th June 2006.

With regard to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with your request.

Should you have any general account queries, please contact the 24 hour banking helpline on 08457 203040 or if you have any data protection concerns relating to your personal data, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Details of how we use your data can be found on the Internet under the Security and Privacy section at www.halifax.co.uk or www.bankofscotland.co.uk. If you would like a copy of the registered Data Protection Notification details, this can be found at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk. Alternatively, please let me know if you would like me to forward a copy of either to you.

I have enclosed a copy of our leaflet for your information, 'Personal Customer Complaints - Here's what we'll do'.

Yours sincerely

Sam Fraser

Data Protection Consultant

Business Risk - Retail

enc.

Direct Line 01422 332991

In progress:

Hi Gang just another update we have today recieved our credit card statements and they have listed late payment fees of £345 and overlimit fees of £260 can we claim both back does anyone know please or just the late payment fee

In progress:

Guest Lueeze

both as far as i know, how much are the items for? (I mean is it £30 per charge or £20 ect...)

both were £20 and £25 depending how far back you went with the statements (weve had the account since 2003)

In progress:

Awww thanks Lueeze well you know what they say I just want to be sure of things before I put my neck in the noose LOL :lol:

The missess will be happy thats £600 quid she can help spend LOL :rolleyes:

sorry wifey hahahaha

In progress:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks