conned out of £4k

sandy12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was wondering here - please, first off - dont tell me how stupid i was, i already know this.

Now - over the past few months, ive got to know (thought) this person extremly well. We have had some fun online, mainly on msn, and we have had some text convos. This person, seemed to be extremly nice. Then, they went quiet, so i asked what was going on - for a couple of days, he told me that he was ashamed to admit but he was in trouble finantually.

He said he was deep in debt and was scared and didnt know what to do.

I thought about this, and i did think, that i have got £5k sitting in the bank, that i did not need. So i asked how much it was, he didnt tell me, then the next day he told me it was £4k and that he had bailifs at his house and everything.

So long story short - he gave me his bank details (only sort code and account number) and i wired him £4k.

later on that day he texted to say how thankful he was. We kept in communications for a further 4 days and thats the last i heard from him.

He has failed to answer texts, phonecalls, emails, etc....

I dont even know his real name - as the name he gave me, im sure if phony.

What can i do?

Yes i know i am stupid, and yes i know i should not have done it - but what is done is done, and now i need some advice on what to do next.

I dont know his name - the bank, when i spoke with them, said something about his account not existing or that - so does that mean he has closed his account?

If he has closed his account, will the bank still have his detials on file?

The police didnt seem THAT intrested as i had willingly gave the money

Any ideas?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Sorry to hear of what has happened. Can you give a little more detail ie where exactly did you meet this chap and when you say you "wired" the money to him, what County is he from. I just hope you havent been hit by the Nigerian [problem]! This is a big [problem] that happens all the time.

Hi. Sorry to hear of what has happened. Can you give a little more detail ie where exactly did you meet this chap and when you say you "wired" the money to him, what County is he from. I just hope you havent been hit by the Nigerian [problem]! This is a big [problem] that happens all the time.
Hi - i met him on a forum on the internet :mad: i know you are going to say how idiotic i am but we have never met - or spoke on phone. its just been texts, emails etc....

He is in the UK and that i do know

I wired the money (bank transfer) ie i went in to my bank and gave over his sort code and account number and the money was sent direct to him

Surely you must have the name of the account you paid into? Do not leave it at this. This is fraud and you need to let the police know that you want to press charges. This is obtaining money by deception! Go back to the police station, dont phone, call in person. Demand that they take action.

Surely you must have the name of the account you paid into? Do not leave it at this. This is fraud and you need to let the police know that you want to press charges. This is obtaining money by deception! Go back to the police station, dont phone, call in person. Demand that they take action.
i did not need the name to pay money in, only the account number and sort code. He said his name was David (wont give last name) but i did not have to give that to the bank.

Anyway - i did go in the copshop and they said basicly that because i offered it to him, it could be seen as a gift.

But can the police actually track who he was? I mean - if he has closed his account...... :mad:

what is the sort code and I will tell you the bank? not the branch of course to protect your identity
I looked up and found on wilki a list of sort code ref numbers - and it went to a Lloyds TSB bank.

I myself am Bank Of Scotland.

Yes, but surely she is entitled to know where her money went to?
I would like to know - but if i can not get that information, is that something the police could get? even if the account is closed down?

I would think so if it is reported as a crime but am not sure if it is as the money was given freely it would appear. and as stansfield has said, was it a loan or a gift?

I would think so if it is reported as a crime but am not sure if it is as the money was given freely it would appear. and as stansfield has said, was it a loan or a gift?

I intended it as a loan - i was under the impression i would get it back :-|

is that what the other person agreed to?
well yes - i mean, when we spoke about it, he was all "no no i couldnt do that" and i said that i didnt need the money at the moment, it was sitting doing nothing and since he was a friend and was in trouble, i was going to help him out and give him the money to pay off the debt and that he could pay back when he could

Do you have copies of any emails/texts from him saying "thanks for the loan of the money and I will pay you back soon as I can"? You also need to go back to the police and insist they take this further.

dont have any emails - as i regularly empty my box - i only have one text that says "thank you. i thought i would txt you to let you know; the money arrived in my account. Thank you so much for this"

Ok. I think you have a case to argue that you would not GIVE £4,000 away to someone you have known a short time. This guy is obviously the lowest of the low to accept this money and then cut off all contact. As I said earlier, you first need to press charges. If the police wont listen then you need to ask to make a complaint against the police.... that should jolly them into doing something about it. Go down to the station on Boxing Day and then post back and let me know.

sANDY12 Sorry to hear of this but some people are cruel, just a thought why dont you send him a new message saying you are worried the money you gave him may not be enough as you havent heard from him and was wondering if you needed more to sort this mess out, got to be worth a try id think, good luck.

Sandy, sorry to read about your problem.

Just a thought but, if you've been texting this person then you have his 'phone number I presume. It might be worth contacting the 'phone company just on the offchance it's a contract 'phone and not a 'pay-as-you-go' one bought for a few quid.

Either way, it's also an additional piece of evidence to give the old bill.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Sandy, sorry to read about your problem.

Just a thought but, if you've been texting this person then you have his 'phone number I presume. It might be worth contacting the 'phone company just on the offchance it's a contract 'phone and not a 'pay-as-you-go' one bought for a few quid.

Either way, it's also an additional piece of evidence to give the old bill.

phone is a PAYG and everytime i go to call it just goes to voicemail and its orange - i am with orange myself and i called them to mention this - they said they cant give out any details data protection bs n all that but did say it was PAYG - that was all they could say

Ok. I think you have a case to argue that you would not GIVE £4,000 away to someone you have known a short time. This guy is obviously the lowest of the low to accept this money and then cut off all contact. As I said earlier, you first need to press charges. If the police wont listen then you need to ask to make a complaint against the police.... that should jolly them into doing something about it. Go down to the station on Boxing Day and then post back and let me know.
I will go back to the station later on and will post my "findings" here :)

sANDY12 Sorry to hear of this but some people are cruel, just a thought why dont you send him a new message saying you are worried the money you gave him may not be enough as you havent heard from him and was wondering if you needed more to sort this mess out, got to be worth a try id think, good luck.
I have tried to text and call but it just goes to voicemail, its also payg so i assume he has got rid of the simcard

i did not need the name to pay money in, only the account number and sort code. He said his name was David (wont give last name) but i did not have to give that to the bank.

Anyway - i did go in the copshop and they said basicly that because i offered it to him, it could be seen as a gift.

But can the police actually track who he was? I mean - if he has closed his account...... :mad:

Of course the can with a bit of effort.

Go back to the nick & request the attendance of a senior officer.

Whether or not it is decided you DID give this guy the money as a gift is not for them to decide it WAS or even might be considered a gift. Your saying you have been conned they have to investigate as they keep telling us if an alledged crime is reported.

If still no joy go & see a solicitor & ask him/her to intervene with police on the basis that you will make a formal complaint.

PS Silly though you have been not getting a provable address it's heart warming to see that there are still trusting souls like you about in today's cynical world who are willing help those they perceive to be in dire straights.

Merry Xmas