Jump to content

Self employed while universal credit

lou manson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm currently receiving child tax credit and child benefit. I have a small business but I only work one or two weekends a month and only make £120 to £250 a month, some months I have no business.

I'm being moved over to universal credit which will make things harder due to them making me find part/full time work i think but I home educate my child full time and worried this isn't a reason to receive UC. I'm single parent living with my friend rent free.

Do I have to register my business with hmrc since I make under the amount required to pay tax? I'm worried about universal credit office person getting me into trouble when they find out about my business or me loosing my payments as some months I make nothing from my business.

Thank you for any advice, thank you.

Edited by lou manson
Spelling mistake
Link to post
Share on other sites

This response assumes you don't have health barriers to employment and there are no exceptional circumstances. If there are exceptional circumstances, then you must explain to the Job Centre, so they can consider these.

When you attend Job Centre appointment in regard to self employment, you will be asked details about this and if the work is minimal then the outcome decision should be that you are not gainfully self employed. This will mean that you are required to search for employed work as the main way you earn a living.

Universal Credit totally ignores home schooling as a barrier to seeking employment, unless you can show evidence that your child has been excluded from school and been forced into home schooling them. The evidence must be official letter from local Council or Government department.

At the moment for a main parent carer of a child between 5 and 12 years old, UC requires claimant to seek 25 hours employed work. From November Government is changing UC rules, requiring work search up to 30 hours, but also change to age range to main parent carers of youngest child between 3 and 12 years old. For those with youngest child 13 or over, the work search is at least 35 hours per week.

In regard to HMRC registration, where someone is earning or expecting to earn £1000 or more in a tax year from self-employed work, the law is that the person must register with HMRC by 5th of October in the second year of trading. Failing to do so, can lead to the person being subject to a fine. So if you have earned £1000 or more net, then you should be looking to register as self-employed, so you can report your earnings. Link to Gov.uk website below.



We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do your children have special needs that require them to be home schooled, or have they been bullied?

If not than it's probably best for you to let go. I have no doubt you can teach math or english better than any teacher would, but kids don't go to school to learn math and english, they go there to learn to live in a group and have social interractions, for the best and for the worst. This is what will serve them the most in their adult life.

Home schooling is a luxury that not everyone can afford, yet that often does a disservice to those who do.

Pardon me for the blunt opinion o/

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...