Frozen Account

dave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Yet again my b*stard of a bank has frozen my account due to 'unusual activity'.

This equates to me drawing out 30 quid from a cashpoint that I always use. Very unusual, I'm sure.

They did this last Wednesday, and again yesterday. They also did it last Friday, and the Friday before that. Their 'fraud protection team' doesn't work Saturdays and therefore I have no money to go and buy presents until the 27th. Great, I'm sure you'd agree.

The thing is, after about the 7th time this happened in a month I told them that I wanted my details to be ommitted from any automated search as per the Data Protection Act.

Can I legally enforce this?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Guest The Terminator
Hi everyone,

Yet again my b*stard of a bank has frozen my account due to 'unusual activity'.

This equates to me drawing out 30 quid from a cashpoint that I always use. Very unusual, I'm sure.

They did this last Wednesday, and again yesterday. They also did it last Friday, and the Friday before that. Their 'fraud protection team' doesn't work Saturdays and therefore I have no money to go and buy presents until the 27th. Great, I'm sure you'd agree.

The thing is, after about the 7th time this happened in a month I told them that I wanted my details to be ommitted from any automated search as per the Data Protection Act.

Can I legally enforce this?

Dave im sorry to hear what has happened and many on here would share my view.What are they defining "as unusual activity"

I took 20 quid out in the day, and then another 10 quid the same evening.

Apparently this is *unusual*.

I think they just know who I am and are screwing with me for fun!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Guest The Terminator
I took 20 quid out in the day, and then another 10 quid the same evening.

Apparently this is *unusual*.

I think they just know who I am and are screwing with me for fun!

I wouldn't call that unusual I do that all the time and I'm sure I need to check the legalation but a bank account can only be frozen by order of the courts.What's next accuse you of "money laundering"

Dave, I do sympathise with you and the unusual transactions I would suggest may not necessarily be what you can actually see. Is the account frozen or the Card stopped? If the card is stopped then pop to a local saturday branch that is open if you can and maybe get some money out. There are reasons and I am unable to post on the open forum as to what I am aware does happen.

Yeah - it was too late to go to the bank - it shuts at 12. I only staggered home this morning and only read the letter at about 11.45, so wouldn't have had time to get there :-(

------------

------------

No worries I will PM you with some info that i am aware of re the situation so you are aware of details I cannot post on the open forum. I hope it will help. Have a good Christmas and Enjoy the New Year

Blimey. Clearly it's highly unusual for someone to go to the same cashpoint twice in one day. I mean, nobody ever makes the mistake of drawing too little money from a cashpoint, do they?

If this has happened repeatedly, you might have a case for harassment. I don't know the specifics, but if you've taken time off work to do your shopping and the money isn't available to you on those days, you've wasted a day off, are unable to buy presents, and hence Christmas has been ruined. It might be difficult to quantify the actual money, but I would imagine that it happening at this time of year is likely to get you some sympathy with a judge - especially as the bank have failed to substantiate any actual fraudulent activity, and you've specifically requested to be omitted from any such processing anyway (the bank might claim exemption under the DPA's "prevention of fraud" wotsit).

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Meagain- as i have stated on the thread before, there is info that i cannot post on the open forum that would explain a stop being placed on a card for the account. An unusual transaction does not necessarily mean one that has been made through an ATM. I will give you an example of one that I can say, if you draw out money from an ATM in the uk at 12:21pm and say at 13:00 the same card has withdrawn money out of an ATM at 1 in Washington DC,USA on the same date, would that be unusual? same card and Pin number used.

Could it happen? What should the bank do?