• Tweets

• Hi Baldilocks. Welcome to CAG. I've done some minor formatting edits to your post to make it easier to read for people on mobile. Try to keep to 1 or 2 sentences max before creating a line break in your post. It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015, not the Sale of Goods Act 2015. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 superseded The Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and the latter does not apply as I imagine this purchase was made after 1st October 2015. Can you confirm the make, model and age of of vehicle? Some vehicles have their service history stored within the on board computers now or have it available to view online at any point. How did you pay for the vehicle? Finance (what type), Debit/Credit Card etc? I would argue, that should the above points not be correct, you would be right to claim that the goods are not as described under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.  
    • Thanks everyone for all your help, but unfortunately my case was dismissed. This is the 2nd time I've had this happen now so I doubt ill be taking on any parking firms in future sadly. The judge said I lost it on the grounds that the sign said I had 28 days to declare who the owner of the vehicle was, and said I should have complied with this.  My costs are Judgment for the claimant £133.33 Issue fee Hearing fee Solicitors costs - total £265 grand total £398.33 Do those costs look about right?
    • In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

House of Fraser security guards

MarcXX
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bit more than a year ago I visited the Manchester store of House of Fraser. As soon as I entered the store, 5 security guards started following me around. Each time I stopped to look at something, one of them walked past me and stopped in front of me to stare at me in a pretty aggressive way. This went on for about half an hour until I made my purchase and went to the cash till. Needless to say that I complained to the House of Fraser store manager. He passed my complaint onto AFC Group (AFC Group) who provide the House of Fraser security guards. It took AFC Group about a month to get back to me (they never asked me to confirm the exact time and location of the incident!) to tell me that I had made up the entire incident. I wonder whether other people have had similar experiences. AFC Group also provides security guards to Boots and Wooworth's.

Marc

I used to be a manager for a firm who supplied security guards, and received numerous complaints from members of the public regarding the conduct of security guards whilst on duty.

Many of them take their job too seriously, and the training for 'covert surveillance' really didn't have much effect. They are entitled to watch shoppers either randomly or if they are suspicious, but what you describe could be interpreted as intimidation. Not a good thing.

However, without any prejudice at all, the guards which I received complaints about were mainly Polish guys who were just extremely eager and wanting to catch shop lifters!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

The most upsetting thing about the whole incident was that the security guards started following me as soon as I entered the House of Fraser store. One of them was posted at the door and he radioed his colleagues. From then on, it felt like I had stepped on a horniss nest! The other upsetting thing is that I have never ever stolen anything in my life and that I was a (very) good customer at House of Fraser from 1997 to last year.

If that is the case then you were probably reported to them as being suspicious by someone outside the store. When I worked in retail all the stores on the highstreet had a common radio frequency for reporting sightings of known shoplifters and general scrotes. If one was seen entering your store then it would be radioed to the security staff who would then try to make it clear to the individual or group concerned that they were not welcome by following them really closely.

The HOF security staff I worked with fell into 2 groups, very good or utterly incompetent. The latter group included the head of security who was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and had a thing about watching me cash-up at the end of the day because, as I was a university student, he deemed me too clever to be working there so I had to be up to something.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

I'm not a known shoplifter though. I work for a university and if I were to accuse a student of cheating in an exam without having any substantial evidence, I would lose my job on the spot. AFC Group seem to behave like the Gestapo: no wonder as they all wear brown uniforms.

Guest ian cognito

Why did you not chalenge one of them at the time? "Sorry did you want something" in a very loud voice may just have left them confused enough to scuttle off - not the brightest buttons in the sewing box are they?

No offence meant, but if you dressed like half of my lecturers, they probably thought you couldn't afford to shop there!

Surely it would all have been recorded, and with time and date they should be able to trace the tape. Doubt anything would happen, but you could always write to the House of Fraser, detailing what had happened, the negative response from the firm and tell them that as a result of it you will probably never shop there again. Word it well and they might send you some freebies.

The variuos sites we supply security gaurds to is the same . the cctv is only held if needed because of a incident otherwise it gets thrown back in line to be wiped and rerecorded over again. however if the cctv is needed to be used in evidence it needs to be clean wiped with a specific vcr and then it can used in a cctv system and recorded evidence can be used. If you know they havent wiped it clean then you can technically do anything and they will not be able to produce this video in court !!!! This is used in clubs and dance halls etc most of the time. It has the same bearings if used in a shopping centre etc!!!!!!

CLICK HERE FOR A LOOK AT ALL OF MY FILES: http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/bailiffchaser/

do not forget to click on my scale if i am giving you the right advice or advice is making sense click my scales otherwise others think i am not helping you.

I'm not a known shoplifter though. I work for a university and if I were to accuse a student of cheating in an exam without having any substantial evidence, I would lose my job on the spot. AFC Group seem to behave like the Gestapo: no wonder as they all wear brown uniforms.

You might not be a known shoplifter, in which case you are store security's worst nightmare - an unknown shoplifter. Probably why they followed you so closely, if you were a known shoplifter they may have backed off as the ones they know about tend to go in and draw security's attention whilst their mates run about other sections of the store nicking.

You haven't been accused of anything and store security need a lot more than suspicion to take any action so play with them, I love setting the detectors off at the exit from shops as I leave with my paid for goods, I'm can't wait for the day one of the chocolate teapots actually tries to detain me!

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Theres some ex forces in Security and they are not the best in public relations, along with police force rejects, ive worked in security and there is plenty of chips on the plate.;) Many have visions of being inspector Morse.. When they get into the work its not atall what they expect and if anything rather boring. So you would become a sugar lump to a starving horse:D

However In tescos tonight a lady made a complaint about a security gaurd and his attitude as he questioned them with a tag left on some clothing. he had assumed they had stolen instead of asking politely.

2 minutes earlier the same guy had gone to fetch a carrier bag for me as my shopping had spilled, when the one I was holding had broken.

• 3 years later...

On a related issue, are security guards vetted before they become security guards? Anecdotal evidence suggests that a sizeable proportion of security guards have a criminal record. Does anybody check whether they are on the sex offenders register before they get a job in the security industry? The above case seems to suggest that security firms such as AFC Security Group don't care how their employees behave. I find this quite worrying. If you take your children to a department store like House of Fraser, how can you be sure that your children are safe? Whenever I visit my department store, there is always a security guard standing next to the changing rooms! If I have more than one child with me, I cannot supervise all of them at every moment. What are the BSIA and SIA doing about this? Should anybody with a criminal record be allowed to be a security guard? Are there any statistics about how many security guards have a criminal record? A few years ago, the Home Office employeed cleaners as well as security guards who did not even have a work permit!!!

They are always like that in Kendals (I'm assuming that's what you mean by HofF Manchester), because they work in a store laughably known as "the Harrods of the North" they seem to think they are somehow it. Just look straight at them and ask them if you can help them.

Good point re CRB checks above, I've never thought of that but expect there must be some checks involved.

hi marcxx, too bad to hear about your experience. i'm sure you must have felt very uncomfortable. but here's the deal with shop security mentality "if you wear jean and a hoodie YOU ARE A SHOP LIFTER", "if you're a girl with a bad hair day loads of make up ugg boots and hot pants YOU ARE A SHOP LIFTER" talk about judging the book by it's cover....

here's an experience i'll share with you, sometime ago i was out walking my dog not wearing my best clothes. my dog (big rottie taller than me) pulled me and i fell. went down to waitrose to pick up a plaster and since i entered the security guard followed me, i was upset and i said out loud if you take a picture it'll last you longer! the security guard didn't expect it and just walked away. :p there are no legal acts to cover this type of thing, you just have to live with it :)