Jump to content

Advice on applying for social housing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, my brother has just been diagnosed with cancer and had a to be rushed into ICU due to complications, he will be in for at least another two weeks as he doesn't have the capacity or strength to looks after himself.

At the moment he lives in a private rented flat that is up two flights of stairs and I can't see how he will manage the stairs, the lease is up in December and don't know what would be best for him to do.

Would he be able to apply for social housing or because he has some savings would this go against him?


On another note because he has been in hospital for a couple of weeks and will be for more can he claim anything against the rent or council tax?


Thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites


Sorry to here of your issue and I hope your wish your brother all the best with this and hope his health improves at this difficult time.

Firstly I would advise contacting Macmillan Cancer Support but they will be able to advise on different matters to do with this due to the cancer diagnosis so don't be afraid to give them a call they are there to help:


Macmillan Cancer Support is here to listen, support you through treatment, and help with money. We fundraise so we can do whatever it takes.


As for applying to Social Housing due to his present private rented property probably now unsuitable due to his diagnosis there is nothing to stop you doing this so look up every different Housing Association, Housing Trust, Council Housing in your area and ask for specifically and Medical Application Form (this is different to the normal Application Form). You need to put as many application in as possible

Next you need to get a supporting letter from the Hospital Consultant that your Brother is under in the Hospital that his present Private Housing is unsuitable due to the numerous stair to his property due to his XXX Cancer Diagnosis and requires to be moved into a Ground Floor Level Property with X Bedrooms.

Please bear in mind with social housing this may not happen over night even with supporting letters as its will all be down to what properties they have available and the class as suitable for his needs as there may be masses of people on there waiting lists so the better worded the supporting letter and from specifically his Hospital Consultant.

As for his rent lowered sadly this is Private Housing and that would be for a discussion with the Landlord.

As for Council Tax you would need to contact the Council Tax Dept for his area to ask that question as each council can operate things slightly differently


I will also mention this even tough you haven't asked if he may be able to claim any benefit it would also depend on the amount of saving that he has at present but something else to consider have a chat about with Macmillan Cancer Support in the meantime here is there link on that also:


If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you may be able to get benefits or other financial support. We have got more information about this.




How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...