Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I had an eBay account a few years ago and sold a high-value piece of jewelry for around £9000. I sent the item to eBay's authenticity center (mandatory for this value), and the tracking showed it was delivered. However, eBay later claimed they never received it. After an investigation, UPS said it was delivered to a different address on the estate where the authenticity center is located. Eventually, eBay located the package but said it contained only chocolate and unrelated items, which I obviously did not send. UPS was unhelpful. As a result, eBay refunded the buyer, and my account went minus £9000. I refused to pay, lost my eBay account, and no longer have access to it or the associated email. Today, I received a text from DRS debt recovery with my name and a reference number, stating I owe a debt to eBay and to log in online using a passcode emailed to me (which I don't have since I no longer have access to the email). When I called DRS for more information, they asked for my address, which I refused to give based on advice I read online. They then said they couldn't discuss the debt further and ended the call. What should I do in this situation? Should I contact DRS again and provide my details to find out more about the debt? Should I send a letter explaining why I shouldn't owe this debt and do nothing further? Is there a legal risk of them taking me to court? Any advice would be appreciated. From what I am aware of, I think they only have my name and telephone number. I have not received any debt letters in the post and I removed/change my address from eBay at the time this all happened. I also have not received any CCJ's. This is the first time they have contacted me. They sent me another text with a PDF letter explaining the debt. The address on the letter is the address on my ebay account which is not an address linked to me and is actually missing the first line.
    • Well firstly, I would point out that according to section 2 paragraph 4 it is on P2G to prove that you are not a consumer for the purposes of the contract. Anyway even if they prove it you can just rely on  Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 which gives you similar rights.   don't out yourself. let p2g prove it. its on them to prove not you.
    • It depends, is selling stuff online your main source of income?  
    • I was under the impression that, as a business, I could not rely on the Consumers Right Act 2015?
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Advice on applying for social housing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, my brother has just been diagnosed with cancer and had a to be rushed into ICU due to complications, he will be in for at least another two weeks as he doesn't have the capacity or strength to looks after himself.

At the moment he lives in a private rented flat that is up two flights of stairs and I can't see how he will manage the stairs, the lease is up in December and don't know what would be best for him to do.

Would he be able to apply for social housing or because he has some savings would this go against him?


On another note because he has been in hospital for a couple of weeks and will be for more can he claim anything against the rent or council tax?


Thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites


Sorry to here of your issue and I hope your wish your brother all the best with this and hope his health improves at this difficult time.

Firstly I would advise contacting Macmillan Cancer Support but they will be able to advise on different matters to do with this due to the cancer diagnosis so don't be afraid to give them a call they are there to help:


Macmillan Cancer Support is here to listen, support you through treatment, and help with money. We fundraise so we can do whatever it takes.


As for applying to Social Housing due to his present private rented property probably now unsuitable due to his diagnosis there is nothing to stop you doing this so look up every different Housing Association, Housing Trust, Council Housing in your area and ask for specifically and Medical Application Form (this is different to the normal Application Form). You need to put as many application in as possible

Next you need to get a supporting letter from the Hospital Consultant that your Brother is under in the Hospital that his present Private Housing is unsuitable due to the numerous stair to his property due to his XXX Cancer Diagnosis and requires to be moved into a Ground Floor Level Property with X Bedrooms.

Please bear in mind with social housing this may not happen over night even with supporting letters as its will all be down to what properties they have available and the class as suitable for his needs as there may be masses of people on there waiting lists so the better worded the supporting letter and from specifically his Hospital Consultant.

As for his rent lowered sadly this is Private Housing and that would be for a discussion with the Landlord.

As for Council Tax you would need to contact the Council Tax Dept for his area to ask that question as each council can operate things slightly differently


I will also mention this even tough you haven't asked if he may be able to claim any benefit it would also depend on the amount of saving that he has at present but something else to consider have a chat about with Macmillan Cancer Support in the meantime here is there link on that also:


If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you may be able to get benefits or other financial support. We have got more information about this.




How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...