• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

wycombemariner V Yorkshire bank ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On saturday morning i recieved a letter from the courts saying yorkshire bank had acknowledged the claim, and intend to defend it?

Help? What happens now???? Is this just them trying it on? Or are they likely to actually turn up and defend the case?

Up The Mariners

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you will get a copy of the defence within the next week or so

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

you will get a copy of the defence within the next week or so
and probably a counterclaim.
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 weeks later...

If yo read a previous thread titled Wycombemariner vs Yorkshire Bank you'll see i've done everything by the book so far.

I have just returned from holiday, t find a defence has been submitted, and i am asked to fill in the allocation questionairre. THis i will do.

What worries me is that in their defence they seem quite sure that i cannot win!!! Is this going to end up in court? The impression given on this site/forum is that they generally won't go to court in case they lose??

What will happen next? When i've paid my extra £100 to go witht eh allocation questionairre will they then accept that i am serious and start offering me some or all of my money??

Up The Mariners

hmmmm i think a few people are getting to this stage from reading other threads and seem to be getting paid out just before the court date !

dont back down im sure you will be fine !

its strange they treat everyone different must deppend on branch as my dad received a cheque today for half the money we have requested in LBA but still going to threaten court action for rest of money owed + 8 % interest !

good luck

Don't panic. If you read the defence calmly, assuming it is like mine, all it says is we deny it is unfair, we deny the terms and conditions are unfair, we deny the charges are disproportionate. Have they really put anything more than denials. I could deny that I am over 21, but it would not change the fact that I really am. You only need to see a copy of my birth certificate to prove that my denial is wrong. If the defence really says anything new either post it here or PM me and we will take a look.

Think yourself lucky that they haven't counterclaimed against you as they have with some of us. You should know by now that there is more chance of hell freezing over than any of the banks voluntarily going to court.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I would also point out one other thing in my and I assume everyone elses defences - YB claim that their charges are a 'genuine pre-estimate of loss'

I could have just read that bit of the defence without even looking at the rest and known I will win if it goes to court.

Tell me how they are going to show it cost £32 because there wasn't enough money in my account to take my loan out. They can't, and they aren't.

There is a possibility they could take it to the first hearing though, as have Abbey with a few people.

So yes, you could end up in court - you won't get a disclosure from the bank in a proper hearing though, and you will get your money.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

There is a possibility they could take it to the first hearing though, as have Abbey with a few people.

Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken Rob, but I think that the cases that have gone to court have only been set aside hearings where the banks have asked for more time. To date though no case has actually reached a hearing, as even Abbey have paid up before the proper hearing.

Wycombemariner, you will be receiving an allocation questionnaire from the court and will find an example of a completed one in the bank templates library. The example asks the judge for standard disclosure. In other words show what it actually costs the bank each time we digress. YB are not likely to do that so will end up paying. No-one here is going to let you end up in court unprepared if you should end up there, so please don't worry. The chances of this happening are remote in the extreme.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Caro, I didn't explain myself very clearly! You're right of course, I meant that you could end up in a courtroom but it won't be to argue your case.

Thanks for making it clearer!

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Cheers Caro - have paid fee and handed in allocation questionairre. No word on dates yet, and nothing from the bank in the way of any offers AT ALL

I had nothing either until the judge refused their request for a 1 month stay and I got a court date - the offer came the day after.

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

• 2 weeks later...

got a letter today - the judge has ordered that the claim be stayed until 12th Oct to enable parties to attempt settlement.

I don't want this? Not at any point at all have i spoken with anyone or been offered any form of settlement.

Do i have to do anything? Or do i just wait until the 12th? Or until the bank start making me offers?

Up The Mariners

I Think I would just wait. It shows you are willing to listen to the bank.

However, if no contact is made by the bank then I would note this to the judge. Also i may be worth contacting them in another letter stating that you are prepared to accept full settlement only. What does anybody else think.

I am not at this stage so this is just a thought.

Spanish Holiday Rental - 10% off BAG and CAG Members

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Yorkshire Bank - LBA 26/07/06 £1001.00 - £500.50 offered and rejected

RBS Credit Card - Settled £200.00

Sainsburys - Settled in full £100.00

JD WIlliams - Settled in full £50.00

Argos Card Services - £98 - offered £60 and rejected.

Abbey Mortgages - MCOL 2nd October - Deadline 21st

This has happened to me too and I am not too happy either, but the advice that I have received is that as it is only a stay for one month I should accept it but write to the court and tell them that you had not accepted it but I am prepared not to raise the matter as I understand that they are under pressure (my court is nearly 6 weeks behind in dealing with AQ's). However I want it on record that I will not agree to further stays without notice, an explanation and an opportunity to object.

Perhaps this would be suitable for you too.

I don't think you need to worry too much about that at the moment. If you look in the forum libraries there is advice on going to court, and there is a bundle of suggested paperwork, but as you are nowhere near getting a court date at the moment I shouldn't worry yet.

Went away over the weekend and had a letter waiting when i arrived back - basically saying its not worth their time or money to defend, would i accept £1000 of charges back and £120 court fee. No chance!

They argue that I am only owed £1257 in charges and that the judge will not award me intrest as i have ran my account badly and brought it all on myself!! What a bunch of

Is there a standard letter to send back saying thanks but no thanks?

Up The Mariners

cheers have printed that letter, completed it and posted it

Does anyone know what happens about additional court costs? It cost me another £100 to submitt allocation questionairre a few weeks ago, will this automatically be added to costs?

Up The Mariners

• 2 weeks later...

My stay has just ended too and I need to complete an AQ according to the order for the stay. I hope it is right that we don't need to pay for it, and see no reason to doubt what the court have told you.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks