Anyone else suffered at the hands of Sky?

CSmith

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a feeling I'm not alone on this one and would be interested in anyone elses experience.

Over 12 months ago i took out a maintenance agreement with Sky (£79) to cover the dish / sky box etc. Their offer letter promised a 3 day call out but on both occassions I've had to use them their response has been 11 days and 14 days respective. When I have complained they point out that I require a special heights team (even though I live in a standard 2 storey house and the dish is on the roof where they put it!).

I feel their sales literature is mis-leading and makes no mention of "special heights". This only arises once you've paid your money and have to activate the service.

My complaints have so far fell on deaf ears and they're back looking for renewal of the policy! However the alternative is to cancel Sky entirely as the equipment is unreliable and bound to go wrong over the next 12 months upon which they'll demand a call out fee (£60) plus parts and labour. They seem to have a monopoly -very frustrating!!!

No, it's your choice. There are many dish and aerial erectors able to maintain and correct probblems without resorting to Sky's (rather expensive) option. However in their defence, dish mounting to chimney stacks has been discouraged for quite a while, and the special heights they refer to really means a two-man team as more than one ladder is required. If your receiver box goes faulty, it is easier to source a replacement via eBay and simply get Sky to marry the card to your new box if a swap is required.

When I have complained they point out that I require a special heights team (even though I live in a standard 2 storey house and the dish is on the roof where they put it!).

I take it there's some reason why the dish has to be on the roof rather than, say, below the eaves.

Tim

My mate had a similar sort of prob with sky. he asked to have sky HD/plus or whatever installed in time for the world cup in the summer.

He was given a date ( a few days before the footy started). The guy who was supposed to install it at 11.00 on the day eventually turned up after 4.oopm and a fair few phone calls to sky. As soon as he arrived he gave my mate the blah blah about needing 2 men...health and safety....etc.

To give the guy his due it was raining rather torrentially and I wouldn't have been up ladders and climbing on roofs etc. on a day like that.

In the end another engineer arrived about 10 days later and did the job on his own in about 10 mins with no probs. He said that they had all been given these health and safety instructions about 2 men...climbing on roofs etc... and it was just your donald duck as to how whatever engineer you got on the day interpreted them.

From what i've seen it's just a matter of luck on who you get in the way of engineers.

Claire

Everytime they try to charge me £65 for a call out to repair or replace faulty box I threaten to cancel. You have to play a game of who blinks first for about 10 mins with the cancelation manager but I havnt paid for a callout yet.

As I keep telling them. If they want to keep my £600 a year subscription they are going to have to maintain the box.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Guest ian cognito

Sorry but I'd like to interrupt with a positive point (for once)

I've been a Sky customer for a fair few years and never had a problem, my sky box is considerably slower than newer ones but it has never lets us down. I have always found Sky customer service excellent and never had any trouble with DD payments (which I've noticed a lot of complaints about).

My mums window cleaner knocked her dish with his ladder a few weeks ago and nackd it, she had to pay £65 quid for the engineer but he came, put up a new dish and rewired the system for her. The window cleaner said he couldn't afford to pay the £65 but would do her windows free for life (probably because she's 77).

Anyway, i think now and again we have to give credit where it's due, after all I was with NTL for a short period (in one of their previous lives) and that just made me appreciate Sky all the more.

Jan

I completely agree with you, I have had excellent service from Sky and until NTL can offer a product like Sky+ I aint gonna change

But

This £65 call out after the box/ equipment is over 12 months old is really taking the P*** and up until now they have waived the charge to keep my business.

In saying that knocking the dish off is probably a bit different and it sounds like you got good value for £65.

Happy Xmas watching

7 actions in progress

Guest ian cognito

Sorry but I disagree, I know you pay a subscription to Sky for services but any other appliance you have in your house, once it's out of guarantee, will be charged at a similar "call out" rate for repairs, plus parts and labour of course, the only difference is the subscription, you pay BBC a licence fee but they won't come out and fix your aerial if it fails!

Sorry but I disagree, I know you pay a subscription to Sky for services but any other appliance you have in your house, once it's out of guarantee, will be charged at a similar "call out" rate for repairs, plus parts and labour of course, the only difference is the subscription, you pay BBC a licence fee but they won't come out and fix your aerial if it fails!

The difference being you cant cancel your subscription to BBC so they can do what they want.

Perhaps I am to used to NTL who I was with for 10 years. They never charged anysort of call out or repair costs.

7 actions in progress

Only if the equipment was supplied on that basis. My Jerrold (analogue) box was provided to be as a swap for a satellite receiver, and at that time I received a reduced monthly fee for the entertainment channels as the box was mine. However it is fair to say that all the digital boxes are rented.

Jan

I completely agree with you, I have had excellent service from Sky and until NTL can offer a product like Sky+ I aint gonna change!

NTL do offer this now I believe, as does Top Up TV (freeview) and telewest!

However, I have suffered with Sky but over Direct Debit issues - taking it out on the wrong day, the wrong amount - you name it, it's happened.

However, I have to say I have written to them and each time they have refunded the charges my bank have made for the bounced DD (£30) and also credited the bill with additional credits for our inconvenices. I paid £40 for 3 months full subscription, so can't fault their [written] customer services, although on the phone it's a different story!

An example to the above is telling me that the DD is called for 14 days before the due date and cannot be amended at all. However, when you ring to set one up, they tell you that if there is an amendment to the amount/day they will notify you 10 days before? Bit of a contradiction! when challenging a customer service agent about this, they got very angry and basically said that's what we are told to say!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)