My story from Start to today.

Barclays_hater
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6516 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Just a bit of (what I think) is an interesting question. I posted my letter by recorded delivery to the local branch and it has been signed for.

However, when I actually posted the letter, the woman behind the counter told me that the mail wouldnt leave till the next day. Now If I give them a week to respond from the date of the letter, they have lost one day. It seems trivial really, but should I allow them an extra Day?

Regards

Stu

If it is an LBA, it seems kinder to give them the day

• 1 month later...

I am posting this as a past history at the moment as I am still waiting for Barclays to get off their ass and pay me ;) I have had to generalise a bit though

Basically the story so far.

Approximatly 6 weeks ago I rang up Barclays and asked the chap on the phone at the call centre if he could tell me the monetry amount that my charges amounted to for the last six years . He asked why I was after them and I said I was comparing the charges and considering moving banks as they were very expensive.

He then put me on hold for 5 minutes whilst he tried to calculate them. He came back telling me that there were so many he couldnt calculate them all as there were too many. I smiled at this point and he said he would send full statements out to me if that was acceptable, at no cost.

So then I sat there and totalled up the charges. They came to £910 before any interest and the like.

I then screwed up :( I sent them a letter before action instead of the one asking nicely for my money back. As a post on here, I queried what I should do. The general concensus was recind the letter and re issue a request for payment.

However before I got round to this, I recieved in the post a letter saying that they disagreed with my legal analysis, but in this case were prepared to refund £300 on condition that I take no further action. Included was the slip to say yes I accept it and please put the money in the bank.

I politely wrote back and said I found the offer offensive and that if I did not recieve the full amount back within 14 days I would be forced to commence action against them immediatly.

Within five days I had a reply saying that they were sorry I hadn't taken up the offer. As far as they were concerned, the matter was now in my hands as to any further action. Also mentioned was the fact that if i didn't like this I had recourse through the courts and ultimatly the Information Commisionair.

So a day or two later (10th Apr) I filed a claim agains them for £910 plus 8% plus the court fee, and that little lot came to £1246.86.

Then on the 12th Apr they acknowledged the claim. They now have until the 10th of next month to enter a defence. Its kinda boring waiting to be paid ;)

Barclays_Hater

Ok, to follow up, today is the 28th Day that Barclays had to enter a defence. They have failed to do so........

So unless it still needs to be logged onto the system (tommorow lunch time at the latest) I have won because they failed to enter a defence

Hi, thanks for keeping us updated, you are quite a bit further along than I am with the evil Barclays.

Though it might be a good idea to check out Whizzkids thread regarding Abbey National as it may not be over just yet.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3414

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

Just to let you know they have entered a defence :(

Aparently they have an extra 5 days because they (The courts) like to make sure they recieve the paperwork.

Is it me or are barlcays just time wasting. Its not that they entered a defence that peed me off, its the fact that they wait till the last possible second.

Surely these stalling tactics are borderline abuse as it were because if they do this with everyone and fold at the court steps, it must be obvious that it is a deliberate tactic to delay and upset people?

Ah well, off to court we go!

They are using any delaying tactic possible to try and put pressure on people and to keep hold of your money longer.

Barclays - £4k - Hearing Date 19th Sept 06

Smile - £370 - Refunded in Full

Capitla One - £100 LBA 25/5

Virgin ? Data Protection Act 25/5

Everyone is in the same boat. we dont know when we'll get there, but we'll definatley get there in the end!

To whichever intern or flunkey Barclays have assigned to monitoring this site... WHY ARE WE WAITING , WE ARE SUFFOCATING?

Ha, anybody else sing this when waiting for school dinners?

come on Keith, pay up, were bored....

Should any case actually get to court, would it be worthwhile pointing out to the judge that Barclays have, on inumerable occasions, sought to delay or obstruct due legal process by procrastination, ultimately "to settle out of court"?

Prolonging the legal process and using valuble court and court admin time surely can't be looked upon favourably by the court. Especially where there is a persistant and demonstrable pattern.

Should any case actually get to court, would it be worthwhile pointing out to the judge that Barclays have, on inumerable occasions, sought to delay or obstruct due legal process by procrastination, ultimately "to settle out of court"?

Prolonging the legal process and using valuble court and court admin time surely can't be looked upon favourably by the court. Especially where there is a persistant and demonstrable pattern.

Hmm, may be it;s worth starting a sub thread where peple can note the delay, ie Claim filed... How long before a defence entered... To establish a proper pattern?

Mike

I recieved my defence from them in the post and notification that the case has been passed to Chester County court to deal with.

If anybody wants to check out their defence, esp with regards to overdraughts, check it out http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i129/barclays_hater/

Oh what barclays dont know ;)

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting their defence. Its interesting to note that whilst we are actually referring to relevant legislation etc, nowhere do they quote anything legal to back up their claims that the charges are completely lawful and allowable. All they are saying is basically that we are right and you are wrong, quoting the terms and conditions etc with no coherent argument to back up their claims. I know they can't go into a massive amount of details in their written defence but you would have thought that if they really thought they were right, they would have tried a bit harder.

Could anyone comment on whether their defences received are the same/different etc? Would be useful to compare.

Don't forget to contribute to the CAG. Without them we would probably still be drafting our prelim letters.

OH Cap One - £436/ So far received £40. MCOL submitted 17/7/06. Caved 4/8/06 for full amount!!!

OH Monument - £140, claim filed 8th May. Requested judgement by default, settled in full 4th July via out of court settlement (see thread). Total £192ish received.

Me Barclays - £630. Received letter 13th May offering £300 full and final (they can bog off). Claim filed 16th May. Acknowledgement of Service filed 22nd May to defend all of the claim. Allocation Questionnaire completed and Stay been ordered by Judge on 18/7/06!!!

• 3 weeks later...

just to keep you up to speed.

Had my Court date today (The barstewards filed at the very very last second) I completed the allocation questionaire and asked the judge to ask them to provide a break down of the charges ;)

Court Date is 17th August 2006....

hi can you help, i rang barclays to send me charges of last five years, they told me i could but i would have to pay £5 per statement, what the hell are thay playing out, what do i do next

thanks vicki

just to keep you up to speed.

Had my Court date today (The barstewards filed at the very very last second) I completed the allocation questionaire and asked the judge to ask them to provide a break down of the charges ;)

Court Date is 17th August 2006....

Wow!! Would be interesting to see if they supply the breakdown! Would love to see that! LOL

Hi,

I have just read with interest Barclays defence, and it is laughable, because at no time do they say, that they can only legally charge for their actual losses. And as they have yet to tell anyone what they are, including a Commons Select Committee, we will have to wait and see if a computer generated letter actually costs more than the estimated 50 pence.

They have until 12th June to submit their defence in my case, which is for £1751.95 including court fees of £120. No doubt I will be expected to attend my local County Court which is Wandsworth.

But I am looking forward to this as in October 2005 I had to write to the C.E.O. of Barclays, in order that over £600 was returned to me, for Barclays Additions payments which were taken from my account, without my authority, for almost six years.

I had an interest from a friend at the BBC on that case, and she is even more interested in this one. I will keep you posted.

Well it would be interesting to see the defence refusing to give the judge the information I requested. It just ooozzzes arrogance on Barclays part and we all KNOW they aint going to give the judge the information ;)

Poor Barclays, a no win situation lol

When I win Bankfodder et all will be getting 5% of my winnings and a bottle of fizz bought with Barclays cash lol ;) Am I bitter and twisted and bent on getting my (edit)cash back, u betcha :)

Monkeymoots, if your friend wants any info, id be happy to help, cause its not like she can raid my account because Barclays took it all ROFL.

Barclays Hater

moderated: please do not post what may be seen as libelous comments on this forum please ,this is to protect the site

Hello again,

I was expecting a last minute defence submission to be made on Monday 12th June, instead I received it this morning, Friday 8th June.

Their defence is slightly different to the one which they put forward for you, but basically its the same old nonsense, plenty of content but no direct answer to the most important question. " How much do you calculate your actual losses to be " as we all know about the £30 and £25 per item, was this a 'think of a number and then double it' scenario ?

I will post their defence as soon as I can get my scanner working again, this may help others.

Good luck Barclays Hater Ill be watching with interest, I dont really want to go to court, but i suppose its people like me who make Barclays think they can get away with it...

Live Long and Prosper!! Dont let the BxxxxxxS get you down....

Claiming back

Barclays £1968.00

Egg £100

MBNA £343.80 Recovered so far £140

Good luck Barclays Hater Ill be watching with interest, I dont really want to go to court, but i suppose its people like me who make Barclays think they can get away with it...

Its ok waynedear, I actually look forward to annoying barclays and costing them money as they the biggest bunch of crooks around. Just the act of them sending someone to court aint gonna come cheap ;)

And I cant wait to see the outcome of my asking the judge to ask Barclays for a breakdown of costs. Ive got the biggest cheesyest grin as im typing this :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6516 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks