style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I found a new place to live about a month ago, I paid my deposit (on the 15th) on the understanding that the place would be (at the very least) cleaned, that a shower would be fitted and some paintwork would be touched up.

All of this 'work' took a couple of weeks to complete. Last night I completed the paperwork (finalised the lease etc.) and picked up the keys.

None of the work has been done.

I walked through the front door straight into a giant cobweb (I felt like Indiana Jones :D )

What leverage do I have?

Can I do anything at all?

Can I get out of the lease at this stage or am I stuck?

Its a learning process - I've had similar (the landlord was a dentist) thought the landlord was a decent guy and would do everything he promised and didn't. I now make sure I get everything in writing.

I'd take photos of all the mess/scraped paintwork etc and have them to hand when you move out as the agent/landlords sound like they may be reluctant to give the deposit back as well. As to everything else I don't think there is much you can do without proof that they agreed to do the work.