• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cheque for full amount received today!

Buenofrog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

due to being a bit strapped for time using this site at my work pc, i have accidentally done something a bit stupid... i have sent my bank the spreadsheet with the 8% interest column on it with both first letter and letter prior to court action.

in both cases NatWest have written back saying that they don't have to explain charges etc, but make no mention of my error of asking them for 8% interest (my guess is this is a form letter and they haven't responded to mine personally anyhoo...)

anyway, i am now due to complete moneyclaim site info (and have now fully read the info and faqs...!!!) and submit tomorrow, but not sure if i need to contact bank again saying that i only want to be reimbursed the charges amount, not the interest and give them another two weeks to respond... or just proceed with what i've given them so far

can anyone advise? feel like a complete dunce so please be gentle with me... i really want to get my £1000 back!

Hi, i don't know if what you did was right or wrong but i did that from the start, so my spread sheet with interest was sent to them from the prelim stage, i have now won full settlement so don't stress out to much, your claiming it anyway so may as well let them know from the outset the full amount you want back which if rightly yours. Good luck with the claim.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’ve got a bit of a weird situation, and would welcome some advice… I’m in the process of reclaiming bank charges from NatWest, and am now at the stage where I’ve received the defence papers from their solicitors. I have already opened another bank account, but when transferring standing orders etc, realised that my NatWest bank loan could only be paid for out of my NatWest account.

I tried to get a loan with my new bank, but the application was refused (I have always made my repayments on time etc, and should have a good credit rating, of so I thought).

Around about the same time, I received a letter from a debt collection agency, asking for repayment for a debt that is completely unrelated to me, at a bank I’ve never been a customer of. Anyway, turns out that following a burglary about 8 years ago, when my passport was stolen, someone started using my identity. I have reported this, with crime ref numbers etc to the debt collection people, but they are still investigating it, and in the meantime, my credit rating continues to be rubbish, and I can’t move my loan.

With this in mind, can NatWest still close my bank account if I continue with my claim, and ask me to pay back my loan in full (about £8,000)? Any advice welcome...

thanks x

I am in exactly the same situation, have a read through the debate on this matter in my thread, there is a link below for the first relevant post.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/37731-big-fight-nat-west-11.html#post386868

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

I’ve received ‘goodwill payment’ letter from cobbetts, offering me £750 (full claim is £1330). It starts by saying:

‘upon consideration of your schedule of charges we note that you set out in a your schedule charges incurred in early 2000. Under the limitation act 1980 you cannot bring a claim more than 6 years after the date on which the cause of action accrued. You issued your claim on 20 October 2006 and you are therefore only legally entitled to claim between the periods 20 October 2000 to 20 October 2006. As such, you cannot claim for the first entry relating to charges and interest on your schedule.’

There is only one charge on the schedule from before 20 October 2000, dated 29 September 2000.

However, I sent my first request for payment of charges letter on 19 September 2006, so surely I can include it? Or should I submit another schedule for the dates they suggest? Its only one charge, so no great shakes, but would rather have everything back that I’m entitled to! and £45 is still £45!

What d’you reckon?

a

Thank you for your letter dated Xth December 2006.

I first contacted your client regarding their unlawful charges on 19th September 2006 and therefore disagree with your contention that some of these charges fall outside the scope of the Limitations Act 1980. However I am happy to let the court decide on this matter.

Your client should consider themselves fortunate I have not claimed charges going further back, since I believe that any limitation would be overturned under the terms of section 32 of the Act, due to their continued "concealment" of the facts that their charges are unlawful, or for relief from a "mistake.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, interest and court fees, which together with the daily rate of £0.XX now total £xxxx as of XXth December 2006

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim.

I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentially clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

• 2 weeks later...

hiya

i've just called lambeth county court to see if cobbetts had got the AQ in on time, and they said no (deadline was yesterday). the very friendly man on the phone said that i should now write to the judge to ask him to get natwest to pay up. or alternatively that the judge could set another deadline. will i get a letter from lambeth county court explaining all this? does this mean i'm going to get my money without waiting for a court date (fingers crossed)?

has anyone else had this? i was under the impression from reading everyone else's threads (incl dellers) that they normally submitted the aq right at the last minute... cobblers change of tactics, or just overwhelmed with the amount of people claiming?

usually the court file would be sent to the judge if the time limt for filing was missed. The judge would then usually make an order (an "unless order") giving the bank further time to file it, failing which the order would provide for the automatic striking out of the defence and judgment for the claimant.

In some courts they take a while to do this so you might want to help them along with a polite letter to the court manager asking that the file be placed before the judge with a view to the making of an unless order.

Well Done!!! - Another bank bites the dust!

NatWest

- LBA Sent: 23/10/06

- MCOL Claim Filed: 06/11/06

- Claim Acknowledged: 14/11/06

- Defence Received: 08/12/06

- Cobbetts AQ Received: 27/12/06

LLOYDS TSB

- LBA Sent: 23/10/06

- MCOL Claim Filed: 06/10/06

- Claim Acknowledged: 15/11/06

- Defence Recd/AQ Sent: 06/12/06

- SCM AQ Recd: 15/12/06

MORGAN STANLEY

- Partial Offer Received with statements: 03/11/06

- Prelim Sent: 07/11/06

- Settled in Full: 17/11/06 :)

NATIONWIDE

- LBA Sent: 23/11/06

- Settled in Full: 21/12/06:)

- Account Closure Notification: 23/12/06

INTELLIGENT FINANCE

- LBA Sent: 23/11/06

- Partial offer Recd: 25/11/06

- Rejection Sent: 25/11/06

- MCOL Claim Filed: 30/11/06

- Judgment Filed: 04/01/06

BLACK HORSE

- S.A.R Sent: 16/11/06

NATWEST VISA

- S.A.R Sent: 16/11/06

A big well done buenfrog, now you too will have a great XMAS!!

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

well congratulations Buenofrog, just in time for Xmas & new Year, how far were you along in your claim? Tell us everything lol

well done x

Merry Xmas

NW (NO 1) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 5/01/07 :)

NW (NO2) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 28/12/06 :lol:

NW (JOINT) ACC

MCOL STAGE AS WE SPEAK :-|

Court date 23rd May(bring it on!!!!)

Paid up 3 wks before court date - all done & dusted ( for now lol)

Congratulations, Buenofrog!

While I'm waiting for my settlement, I'll just drift off and do my Little Matchgirl impersonation........

:D

W

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Well.... I had completed my AQ and sent that off. Called the court the following day to see if they'd received NW's. Very nice man at Lambeth CC told me they'd not received it, and that I should write to the judge to find out about the next stage etc... But then a couple of days later, I received a letter from cobbetts, with copy of their AQ, which told me they'd submitted it on the deadline day (12 dec)... Anyhoo, I thought I'd probably get a court date and have to go through sorting out bundle and all that, but got a card from post office saying had something to sign for on saturday 16 dec (postmen NEVER knock in our street. Gits.) went and collected it yesterday! Got very drunk last night. Ended up telling taxi driver on the way home all about consumeractiongroup and have given him the website details ha ha... Drunk and evangelical. Oh dear. Not a good combination. Late for work today, obviously!

Anyway, you can't get rid of me that easily - will be getting on the case sorting out my mum's!

And yes, will sort out my 5% as soon as the cheque clears (will be after christmas I guess). Thanks to everyone on this site for helping me do this. Power to the people indeed!