Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I've got some suggestions re Bizspace but can you fill in the sticky please.
    • 1 Date of the infringement 14th April 2024 2 Date on the NTK [this must have been received within 14 days from the 'offence' date] 17th April 2024 [scan up BOTH SIDES as ONE PDF- follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'s 3 Date received 20th April 2024 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012? [Y/N?] N 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? ANPR photos of vehicle in and out (although as they were taken at night they don’t show much). 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] N Have you had a response? [Y/N?] post it up  N 7 Who is the parking company? MET Parking 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Southgate Park, Stansted CM24 1PY For either option, does it say which appeals body they operate under. Independent Appeals Service POPLA  - BPA Logo is on NTK If you have received any other correspondence, please mention it here. N/A Hi, As keeper, I have received a PNC from MET Parking over the vehicle being parked in the infamous Stansted Starbucks/Mcdonald’s car park(s). The vehicle was parked outside Starbucks (at night, when it was closed) and the driver went into Mcdonalds. However, the driver wishes to appeal due to the poor and misleading unlit signage, and believes that this PNC is unfair. I am sure you are aware of this company/car park, and I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Kind regards PNC 14.04.2024.pdf
    • The PCN is one of the more compliant that I have seen. however it still fails. There is no period of parking mentioned as required by paragraph 9[2][a] . ANPR cameras only capture the arrival an departure times. It does not record the times you drove from the entrance to the parking place and then from the parking spot to the exit. That means that if you are the keeper then you are not liable to pay the PCN. Only the driver is so do not appeal as you may reveal who was actually driving.if you were not the keeper then as long as the driver is not identified CE will have difficulty on that fact alone. The majority of people with valid motor insurance are allowed to drive your car  and Courts do not accept tha that the driver and the keeper are the same person. On top of that your car was trespassing there since you didn't have a Permit and only the land owner can pursue you not the monkey they employ. The signage is prohibitory in that only permit holders can park there so no contract can be formed. The signage is new apparently so there must be some time allowance for motorists to adjust to the new signs which could mean that  they shouldn't even be issuing you with a PCN. For all those reasons I wouldn't be too much in a hurry to pay them a penny. And well done on posting up the PCN and that sign so quickly. 
    • Dear CAG Team   Given the above, and not knowing what the actual account name is, I will haver to stick with that same name but the Bailiff said that once the variation is done there wont be an issue getting the money off him. What i cannot get my head around is when i set up a new payee, if the name doesn't match the account name my bank wont allow the transfer. So how is it that it authorised and allowed the transfer? Also, given the dealer broike trading standard rules and tried to sell me a death trap, then keep my deposit, why is his bank and mine protecting him by not disclosing his account name or at least making a charge back as i first attempted?   Many thanks
  • Recommended Topics

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like
  • Recommended Topics

Council flat and garden sheds **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I live in an upper house conversion, that is owned by the council.

I have been here for 7 years.


The property comes with its own back garden that backs onto a playing field.


I have mental health issues and do not go out much due to severe anxiety, for which I am medicated for.


In 2021 I thought it would be a good idea to have an outbuilding built so I could use it for a space for meditation and other 'quiet time' reasons. Inside the shed is a large room with a desk area and work top. I have my computer screen, my music and my electric organ. In the smaller room I have a small 2-seater sofa and a pull-down screen with a projector for watching movies etc via the firestick. 


When preparing to build the out building I looked on the council's website and got the sizes and all the info I needed, so as to not have to apply for planning permission.


I had the cabin built within these rules. Someone then told the council and they have just recently come to my property to check it all out. They measured the cabin and said because there is a grass area at the back of my garden that is lower than the outbuilding, and they must go from the lowest level to measure the height. This made the outbuilding a couple of inches higher at the front. They went off and said they would probably write me a letter to explain this but would not take any further action due to the rest all being under the requirements.


Yesterday I got a visit from the council and was told that I need permission to have the outbuilding due to living in a flat and not a house. I explained that it does not state this on their website and they quoted me sections of the Town and Country acts and that I must make a retrospective planning application.


I did some homework on the computer, via the government website and see that this is true about living in a flat. I was prepared to bite the bullet and put in planning for the outbuilding.


Today, however, they have called me to tell me my other two sheds, which hold garden tools and bikes and my mobility scooter and other prescribed items from the hospital ( i get them delivered every 3 months and have no space inside my flat) are also unauthorized and I need to put planning permission in for these 2 sheds.


I have been told I can include them on the retrospective planning application for the outbuilding. They are also saying I put a path in and did not get permission for this either. The path takes me to the end of the garden to the other 2 sheds. I had it put in because directly behind my garden fence is a small stream that gets filled in the winter months and causes my garden to be very water logged and unable to walk across without getting wet feet up to your ankles. 


I have in the past had problems with my council and made complaints about the way the problems were handled and I feel now they are getting their own back by making things difficult for me. (The complaint was because the housing officer did not put the phone down before talking about me and I heard what was said and made a higher up complaint. The result was she was no longer allowed to be my housing officer and she had to apologize to me) This was 5 years ago. 


What I am wanting to find out is my rights.

Is it correct that I cannot put a shed in my garden?


pointed out that downstairs have 3 sheds in the garden and they are not doing the same to them (I have said sorry to my downstairs Neighbours) but the council have come back with they have looked on google maps and the downstairs sheds have been there for over 4 years. I know this is true for 1 of their sheds but the other 2 were put up last year.


I have asked for photographic proof of this and they said they will get back to me with it.


I dont want to push it because I dont want my Neighbours to be in the same position as me.


I also know that if they had photo proof from google they would know my Neighbour has done other major works!


Can someone please tell me where I stand in this matter.


thank you 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the local rules and what it says on your council rent agreement.


Ask Council for written explanation stating law and any signed agreements they are using to require planning permissions for the changes you have made within grounds of your address.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites




Sadly the mistake you have made here is not asking the Council for permission for that Out Building irrespective of Planning Permission as your Tenancy Agreement is with the Council there will be clauses in that Tenancy Agreement that any amendment to the property you need to ask permission.


Even my own Tenancy Agreement with my own Housing Association has that specific clause in it where you need to ask for permission in writing.


Bear in mind you did not just put up an Out Building but also a paved a path to that Out Building without getting permission first from the Council who are your Landlord therefore they could class this as a Breach of Your Tenancy Agreement.


When you rent a property you are only renting it the property and any land does not actually belong to you but belongs to your Landlord the Council.


As the Councils Planning Officers are now involved irrespective that other may have out building (they may have correctly asked the Landlord for permission which you will be unaware of and the Council will not tell you about due to Data Protection Act).


Your only way around this IMO is to officially write to the Council your Landlord asking for permission for these Out Building and the paved path to those Out Building explaining your reason and you medical disability (don't add that others have out building may go against you) just explain your medical reason in detail and give details of the dimension of the Out Buildings who installed them (any invoices) same with the Path to the Out Buildings.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...


Any further update on this?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Stu007

Thank you for your reply. 
I consulted an Architectural company called A9 in Hadleigh and they helped me make a retrospective application. We received confirmation last week that it had passed. 
I agree that I should have asked before putting the building up and I should have did more homework first but I stupidly didn’t even think of that. I learnt a big lesson. 
I would highly recommend A9, if anyone in the area needs any planning work. They were brilliant from beginning to the end. 
thank you again


Link to post
Share on other sites


Many thanks for the update and glad you managed to get this resolved.

You know where we are if you need any further assistance with anything and make sure and let others know about CAG.

Will mark your Topic as Resolved.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • stu007 changed the title to Council flat and garden sheds **Resolved**
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...