HSBC DEFENCE - Fees Vs Charges NEW TACTIC?

petschs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Find a thread by Bong I'm sure there something about contractual interest, or search for that wording - I know youre not the first to raise this issue !!

In the mean time if I find it I'll paste you a link !

Dec 2006 - Sucessfully recovered over £3k from HSBC with much help from CAG :-D

if you found this post helpful, please click my reputation, thank you

(The small print-my advice and opinions are my own, and are given freely and without predjudice or liability whatsoever)

• 2 weeks later...

Threads merged.

I think a few of the banks are referring to the charges being for services now. Keep reading other threads to see how this pans out.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The London address is possibly best, I am of the opinion that if you send elsewhere they only forward using their internal mail system wasting another couple of days - why give them that pleasure !!

Dec 2006 - Sucessfully recovered over £3k from HSBC with much help from CAG :-D

if you found this post helpful, please click my reputation, thank you

(The small print-my advice and opinions are my own, and are given freely and without predjudice or liability whatsoever)

I am quite new to all of this but if a bank is stating that it is charging an arrangement fee for an overdraft and therefore providing a service, then surely they would communicate this to us, i.e thankyou for using the unauthorised overdraft service at the agreed price of £30 this new overdraft will be set at Xamount for X number of days?

The charge is for breaching the terms of the overdraft, and therefore a penaltly charge. I do not remember any literature stating that we were more than welcome to exceed our overdraft limits (i.e. breach our contract with the bank) but that if we did there would be a service charge!

....If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probalby is.... a duck.

HSBC recovered bank charges in full plus contractual interest

IF.com recovered bank charges in full plus contractual interest

Marbles recovered credit card charges in full plus contractual interest

I am quite new to all of this but if a bank is stating that it is charging an arrangement fee for an overdraft and therefore providing a service, then surely they would communicate this to us, i.e thankyou for using the unauthorised overdraft service at the agreed price of £30 this new overdraft will be set at Xamount for X number of days?

The charge is for breaching the terms of the overdraft, and therefore a penaltly charge. I do not remember any literature stating that we were more than welcome to exceed our overdraft limits (i.e. breach our contract with the bank) but that if we did there would be a service charge!

....If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probalby is.... a duck.

Oh and you will find in the CPR that the correct address for service for a company is the Registered address (Always found at the bottom of any letter headed paper.

In the alternative, you can use the webcheck service on Comanies House for free!

..that is to find the registered address!

Hi there

The banks are now stating that this is a service. I got a letter saying they had considered my unauthorised overdraft request and decided to deny it. This was for a direct debit that was coming out of my account. The system is the same, it is just their way of trying to get out of paying the charge. Have a look at one of my old threads regarding HSBC. I got a reply from a moderator regarding why this is not a viable defence.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/53209-new-wording-hsbc-letters.html?highlight=gemspan

Good luck

Gemspan

Indeed.

The OFT said this....

4.21 Disguised Penalties

The analysis in this statement is in terms of explicit, transparent default fees. Attempts to restructure accounts in order to present events of default spuriously as additional services for which a charge may be made should be viewed as disguised penalties and equally open to challenge where grounds of unfairness exist. (For example, a charge for ‘agreeing’ or ‘allowing’ a customer to exceed a credit limit is no different from a customers default in exceeding a credit limit.) The UTCCR’s are concerned with the intentions and effects of terms, not just their mechanism.

In the money programme a few weeks ago the spokeswoman said that the banks were running the risk of being taken to court over this very issue.