• Tweets

• So could they file their appeal 3 years later for example?  I'm just wondering when I can put this whole mess behind me knowing they can't take any further action.  
    • Whenever they have prepared it.....I really do not see they have grounds to appeal or whether the costs involved would be worth it in this type of claim......but we shall see.   https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part52/practice-direction-52c-appeals-to-the-court-of-appeal
    • I started by doing it myself. Did exactly the same (aside from the forms were actually online - they complete the same paper forms and you get a PDF that looks the same as if you had filled them in physically). Did the inventory, and then the tax forms etc... everything was fine until they lost the will (which was sent by the most recorded/tracked/guaranteed service as well - apparently didn't get there).   Before I sent the will, I made copies (there was a copy already, stamped COPY), and I took a video of every page to prove it hadn't been tampered with in case it was lost. I must have had a premonition or something, as it was lost, but they sent me an email saying that they had received it, so I thought no more of it.   I've taken the whole thing back once already, and then passed it to the solicitor (actually the firm that has been linked above). If I do it again, that will be the fourth time (one application, one lost will questionnaire and subsequent application, and the application from the solicitor). I don't think it will speed things up at all.   I think the probate office/service has collapsed due to the "streamlining" and the shutting of sub-offices (in the middle of a pandemic - smart!).   It's no longer fit for purpose, but nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. My MP is as helpful as a chocolate teapot, the ombudsman is just as slow and has already said that delays are not worth looking into. Over 98% of probate solicitors surveyed by the Public Services Union, say the on-line application process isn't fit for purpose, and 57% have said that they have seen house sales fall through due to delays since 2019.   There has to be someone in government that wants to sort this out.
    • I can feel your frustration and I do understand it.  I had a terrible time at the start of lockdown 1.0 even finding a manned office to pay the probate fee.  The second estate I dealt with was at around the same time as yours and was actually easier because people had settled back into working.  I didn't put in an online application, I printed off the forms, filled them in and queued up at the post office to sent all documentation off together in the most tracked and signed for process possible.  Sending off the original will is scary.  Wondering if taking back the whole thing, starting from scratch and doing as much as possible yourself would make you feel better and actually move things faster.
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Halifax settlement LIVE !!!!!!!!!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5143 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all !

I have sent two letters to halifax.

An initial letter demanding £192 in charges

A LBA demanding £192 with a deadline of 27 December 2006

The first letter produced a standard response. The LBA just five minutes ago produced a call offering me a "goodwill gesture" of £100 which i politley rejected, referring her to the recent item on BBC Breakfast with that amazing guy at moneyexpert :)

OK UNBELIEVABLE - Lisa Slater, and i have her permission to quote her name has JUST called again - I am getting a letter which when signed by me and returned - will get me a FULL refund !!! my hands are shaking !!!!

Im getting £192 back ! she was lovely !!

wow !! im on a high !!!!!

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Liverpool University £50.00

If it's not been filed at court then the interest does not apply - the bank offer will be for full repayment of charges?

You can only add the 8%, plus court fees, plus SAR fee, when you file the N1.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Just the repayment of charges. I did launch this claim without looking at the big picture (interest) Was too hasty.

However, now i am confident - i have another claim to launch - Llloyds TSB for £400 - i will make sure i calculate interest :) Thanks for support guys !

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Just for my own interest, any idea which department and/or office/town Lisa Slater is from please? The Hx have many offices and I've already gone through Halifax, Leeds, Newcastle and Birmingham...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Oh your post is here hillards.. i got your PM as well though and replied to it !

All my letters went to Leeds but i dont have Lisas location - was pretty excited at the time to calmly take details ! I am scanning the letter for everyone though when it comes !

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Hey guys, just as well i received a letter from halifax almost identical to your letter but not as a full settlement but a lesser amount than I originally claimed.

They're willing to discuss this matter over the phone, can i make a demand from them like i would really appreciate it if they could pay me the full amount before i issue an LBA and filing the claim to court?

can anyone advise me

Address removed - :) So eager to post that i didnt think that through !

Thanks lads !

Well i think halifax are reluctant to do much before an LBA because they know the procedure we have. Lisa watched the BBC program so i can assume other people in halifax did. I would send an LBA reminding them that they only have another 14 days.

They WILL call im sure - make sure you turn down their first paltry goodwill gift of half the charges back :) When they call they will tell you all the charges were applied correctly and they are in the right. All you have to say is Your regime of charges is illegal and you want the FULL amount. :)

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Just out of interest, Lisa is at the Chester office (01244 dialling code). There seem to be a number of people, all over the country, dealing with these claims. As long as you have a reference number (as shown on your offer letter) feel free to call them to discuss the matter further.

This method seems to be working for those who call - well done to whipthebanksintoshape, and everyone else who's done the same, for your success.

mzteery - whatever you do, don't 'demand' - talk nicely to them!

Just noticed something - whipthebanksintoshape, you used the word 'illegal' - that should be 'unlawful' ?

Had my offer letter today from halifax 177 short of full amount heres who sent the letter Jonathan Parke, review Manager, Core ops, customer Relations 0191 235 7810, from start to nearly finish 3 weeks....i'm so glad i found this site off to start the ball rolling on the other 2 accounts then the mortgage company for ERC's fingers crossed

statements requested 23rd Nov charged £5

statements arrived 28th Nov

sent first letter claiming £1264 on 7th Dec to halifax

halifax replied standard letter 13th Dec

second letter sent 22nd Dec :p

Halifax sent letter 22nd Dec offering £1087 full & final only £177 short of the full amount:eek:

Accepted the offer on 28th Dec on to the next one.......

I know how you feel pinkglitter, theres good info and support here - feels like someone has given me a stepladder thats put me on the same level as these bullys - maybe a bit taller !

As for unlawful/illegal, i think I have used a mixture of both in my letters - probably when i deviated a bit from the template :p What can i say, i got excited !

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

As for unlawful/illegal, i think I have used a mixture of both in my letters - probably when i deviated a bit from the template :p What can i say, i got excited !

I pointed it out as some banks monitor these threads, and you wouldn't want to lose your hard-earned claim back to them in a libel action would you?

The charges are 'unlawful', as they go against the various Acts mentioned. By saying 'illegal' you are making a statement that they are breaking the law, and could be sued for that if you cannot then prove this point...

That's why the site has template letters, instead of just guidelines as to what to say. They've been checked over to make sure you're not putting your foot in your mouth as you proceed with your claim.

I'd rather make the point, and get it over, than watch you be sued for a comment you have made (in error, obviously)! LOL