*HALIFAX MK 2 and account closure threat - NEW*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok...starting a new thread for this

Have previously (May 2006) claimed via small claims against Halifax and got my refund in full...however

Got a letter this morning advising me that a payment for £6 was not made as this would have put my account into unauthorised overdraft and they have told me they will take £39 from my account on Thursday (nice for Christmas). I phoned customer services and they have said they won't refund and if I take to court they give me 30 days notice and will close my account. I told them I would write to the OFT and tell them about any bank account closure, but they still won't budge...

what to do...I know I'll get the money back, but...lose my account for the sake of £39?

Right...

I've made my decision on principle - I will pursue this via the courts if it comes to that...I think they are banking on me thinking it's not worth losing my account over £39 - but I will do it, and anything else I can, to challenge their decision to close my account...

Can't find anything recent on challenging account closure threats, so I will make a start and write my preliminary letter today.

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Interesting that they are still charging £39 in spite of the OFT ruling that £12 was the tops.

Conversation this am with person at local Halifax branch about a loan. Told if I pay off early will be charged a penalty of 2 months interest!

Either these people are very stupid or colossally arrogant!

Bicester1

Bicester1

MBNA WON £623

:)

GM Card Won £580

Nat West CC Won £525.08

Nat West Bank Won £2346.60:)

Lloyds PPI LBA

Barclaycard defence received. Trial date 30th July. Barclays missed deadline for servicing and filing of their bundle! Going to try for strikeout or summary disposal

HBOS about to issue N1

LLoys Bank LBA

I am not a lawyer. Get trained professional advice if unsure of your legal position. If my advice is helpful please tip my scales!

Tell me about it!! Hey I don't spose yr from bicester any any chance lol?!!

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Yup sure am!

Bicester1

MBNA WON £623

GM Card Won £580

Nat West CC Won £525.08

Lloyds PPI LBA

Barclaycard defence received. Trial date 30th July. Barclays missed deadline for servicing and filing of their bundle! Going to try for strikeout or summary disposal

HBOS about to issue N1

LLoys Bank LBA

I am not a lawyer. Get trained professional advice if unsure of your legal position. If my advice is helpful please tip my scales!

Interesting that they are still charging £39 in spite of the OFT ruling that £12 was the tops.

Conversation this am with person at local Halifax branch about a loan. Told if I pay off early will be charged a penalty of 2 months interest!

Either these people are very stupid or colossally arrogant!

Bicester1

2 small points

the £12 oft recommendation was in regard to credit card charges.

the charge of 2 months interest is standard for the early closure of a loan, the bank loan you the money so they can make money, and you agree to a payment plan, you are breaking that plan, therefore the bank explain you will pay 2 months interest, if you don't want to pay it, just pay the loan as you would normally.

or do you see any fee/charge/payment as an excuse to cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war?

2 small points

the £12 oft recommendation was in regard to credit card charges.

the charge of 2 months interest is standard for the early closure of a loan, the bank loan you the money so they can make money, and you agree to a payment plan, you are breaking that plan, therefore the bank explain you will pay 2 months interest, if you don't want to pay it, just pay the loan as you would normally.

or do you see any fee/charge/payment as an excuse to cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war?

No Howard I don't, but its good to see an apologist for the Banks on the site. I note you work for The Halifax I am a Halifax customer, as you might have guessed and frankly am not impressed! Nothin' personal tho!

I simply believe in the rule of law. I think you are wrong. You are factually wrong with regard to the OFT and your argument with regards to bank loans is simply a reprise of the Banks argument that "it's in the Terms and Conditions." Most people, including the Banks, have got somewhat beyond that one now.

The OFT in their report on Credit Card charges actually made it clear that they felt the same points "read across to the Banks" http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/DF19FDA9-1D31-4B18-B251-9BF5AF6A29D4/0/oft842a.pdf and some Banks have reduced their charges to £12. More of them are settling out of Court hardly evidence that they believe they have the law on their side!

Considering your second point; 2 months may well be "standard" but the question is is it legal and the answer would seem to be no. Early redemption penalties are not legal. You are simply missing the point, which is that penalty charges are illegal and that is after all, the whole point of this site! The Banks, or you, may not like it but that is the Law.

Like most people on here am tired of being bullied, I don't mind paying when the charge is legal but when its not, no! The high handed arrogance of the Banks has been the cause of much misery, for many people, over the years and its good to see them getting their comeuppance. They appear to believe that they are above the Law. They are not.

Still good to see that you read my posts - I wonder if you know where the quote comes from!!?

Bicester1

Bicester1

MBNA WON £623

GM Card Won £580

Nat West CC Won £525.08

Lloyds PPI LBA

HBOS about to issue N1

LLoys Bank LBA