• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Helz Vs GE Money

me_n_my_kids
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I sent of cca requests to ge capital, and today they replied in plenty of time, with photocopies of the application form that was filled out in the store (burton and dorothy perkins)

from what ive read here i dont think this is acceptable, but could someone confirm for me, and let me know the best thing to do next?

thanks for reading

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GE Capital broke my default virginity back in 1983 on a Harrods card. If you can I would pay the debts off - I suspect if they are store cards it's only a few hundred quid. It's only worth playing those legal games for £2k+ debts.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Hi all

Ive just been successful with claiming back charges on my bank account with hsbc and it has given me the motivation to go after anything else i am entitled to.

I'd just like to ask though exactly what charges is it that we are able to claim back on store cards and credit cards? is there any certain charges that dont qualify?

i have catalogue accounts, credit cards with halifax and baclays and capital one, and store cards under GE Capital.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Hi

in respect of my store card i am claiming back all late fees, costs relating to computerised letters (i mean fifteen quid for a computer generated letter is rubbish), and compounding interest. In respect of my credit cards its late fees, overlimit fees, anything where a charge has been incurred and its an unjustifiable amount.

Adi

Thanks

23/11/06 HSBC **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - GE Capital - **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - MBNA - charges and interest **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - Welcome Finance - Prelim sent for mis-sold PPI

Thank you Adi - ill get my statements then check back make sure im claiming the right things. totally unsure what compounding interest is, ill need to do some more reading as it's not quite same as the banks.

While claiming back the charges, are the accounts classed as 'in dispute' or do you need to carry on normal payments?

i am still making payments, but that is because i have not defaulted etc. in respect of compounded interest, in its basic form it is where the interest is compounded against every charge, so for example charge a has interest a1, charge b has interest b1 compounded with a1, so charge c has interest c1 and b1 and a1 if you can understand my poor analogy. but the interest soon adds up. There are spreadsheets to help compound the interest. Do check some of the threads and the arguments surrounding compounded interest then you know what you are arguing for. Also do look at your accounts interest and be cheeky and charge the highest rate, it is normally cash advances that work out around 22% or higher, cap 1 have lovely high rates so make sure you charge them the correct interest and watch the spreadsheet compound it! they have done it to you, so its only fair to return the favour!! and good luck

Thanks

Thought it would be easier to keep track of things if i start a new thread here.

Yesterday I sent my SAR to GE using recorded delivery and included the £10 PO. So i guess now the clocks ticking for the 40 days they have to comply, the same as the banks? There are 2 accounts, so fingers crossed we have a decent sum to claim back.

Do GE fight back a lot normally?

Helz

from my claim with GE capital no they dont fight back, they dont even acknowledge you! i am now on the LBA stage and still no confirmation of receiving prelim we are dealing with your complaint sir. I think it depends but some have to submit an MCOL for a response, others have been luckier. I think in my case i will get a response when the MCOL is submitted!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just had this letter through from GE and im not sure if they are correct?

We sent an SAR to them for 2 accounts which have been open over 2 years. in total they sent 7 statements, none of which had charges. We wrote to them saying thats not good enough your not complying, and this was the reply:

Under your subject access request, ge money is only bound to provide you with information we hold, which we have done. it is therefore ge moneys position that it has complied ith your subject access request. i apologise that we are unable to provide you with all the statements you are seeking for the particular periods you have specified, however, as previously advised in our letter dated 18-01-07, these were unobtainable.

i appreciate this does not fully meet with your requirements and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. should you require any further assisitance please do not hesitate to contact us.

are they right in thinking they can get away with this? we have no idea how much we should be claiming back in charges :(

Hiya and congrats btw!! As for not being able to give you data that you need i thought in these cases that you could make an estimated claim...? not 100% sure tho so will wait for someone else to advise/confirm. :)

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I got the similar thing. I was missing two statements and GE say that a small number of statements have gone missing. I'm gonna add four sets of £18 charges to my claim plus an estimated interest on top. I suggest you do the same.

so thats £18 x 17months (at least) x 2 charges per month = £612. Don't forget to add interest (estimate that), SAR, paper, ink, envelopes, stamps, admin costs etc:p. we will see if they can provide the statements then.

Couple of points worth noting.

1st estimated claims are fraught with potential problems are best avoided like the plagues unless you are only estimating one or two months out of a load IMHO.

Secondly GE money are playing games with you as are many banks.

If you used the template for your SAR from the library you didn't ask for statements you asked for information.

You also asked for information for your whole account history, if they cannot give you an explicit statement about the data for your account being destroyed then its my view they have made a mistake.

I am going to be submitting a claim against them for non-compliance shortly for the very same thing.

I suggest anyone else in the same boat does the same thing.

I did this with the Co-op after getting a similar response, when they got the claim they found some more date over nine years old.

Go figure.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Helz

Have a look at Glenn Vs Co-op Ive detailed what i did and posted a suggested particulars of claim.

Hope that helps

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I don't mean add interest for total charges quite like that. Im adding the additional interests that i have paid for these unlawful charges. I think Glenn is probably right in avoiding estimates if you can help it, but i'm gonna add estimates to mine since i'm only missing two months worth of statements.

The letter that they sent me says -

"unfortunately after extensive enquiries on our retrieval system, we have been experiencing problems attaining a small number of statements. On your Burtons account, we have been unable to retrieve statements for July 2003 and May 2004."

In other words, they have lost it.

Send them the CCA letter which gives them 12 days to send you a signed copy of your original agreement. If that is all the information they have on you then it may be that the debts are unenforceable because they dont have a copy of the original agreements. Try doing a search on this in the forum. You will find very interesting results.

Kind regards

Gemspan