I'm starting to get a bit worried

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

from a user from another forum who works for a bank

"Here is how it work in the real world.

You have GBPx.xx or more on depo with a bank, we charge you a DM (discretionary managed) or AM (advisory managed) fee and it takes your account overdrawn. You have excellent credit rating and you have excellent potential worth.

Looking at your actual asset worth against potential worth you are an ideal customer, in which case we will happily waive charges.

You have a poor credit rating, you went overdrawn into unauthorised overdraft and incurred agreed fees (the person who said he signed nothing must be delirious). You then issue a court action against us? The majority would say "bring it on" and tbh 99.9% will take you to the very limit in accepting a court order before (and this will be 5% of banks) dropping out at the last moment.

Its basically not standing for any crap (as a bank) and testing your resolve (as a customer) , some banks will fold, most after the concessions wont. The implication is "take us to court at your time and expense for GBP700", if we lose then so what its considered a minute P&L "claim". If its a win then you should be prepared to pay a few thousand (I'd estimate at least £5K in costs)."

thoughts?

LBA email sent 26/04/2006 - Claiming £1073

Offer of £201 on 13/05/06

Offer refused on 15/05/06

Offer of £692 offered on 15/05/06

Offer refused on 18/05/06

Offer of £850 on 18/05/06

Offer accepted.

Case closed

This is absolute rubbish and has no relation to the evidence we see from users on this site.

For instance............

....(the person who said he signed nothing must be delirious)...

We do not need to say we didn't sign up for the account, in full knowledge of charges, and we do not tell anyone that they should.

The law states that unfair terms and conditions cannot be imposed. Charges are punative, thus unlawful, so even if a bank told you they would charge £39 for a failed DD and you agreed, the fact it is unlawful would negate the contract terms.

..... You then issue a court action against us? The majority would say "bring it on" and tbh 99.9% will take you to the very limit in accepting a court order before (and this will be 5% of banks) dropping out at the last moment....

See for yourself on the forums. Only a very small percentage of claims ever reach the stage of court and, even then, the banks don't go on to actually defend themselves. Because they have no defence!

One of the very first cases to challenge the banks did go all the way. It failed too! But these were early days, the banks used a defence based on it's charges being a service and the claimant was not fully prepared for that - but this defence has now been countered, hence the reason they only used it once.

Its basically not standing for any crap (as a bank) and testing your resolve (as a customer) , some banks will fold, most after the concessions wont. The implication is "take us to court at your time and expense for GBP700", if we lose then so what its considered a minute P&L "claim". If its a win then you should be prepared to pay a few thousand (I'd estimate at least £5K in costs)."...

A few basic errors here too - the poor chap!

A claim for under £5000 will NOT involve costs, for either the winner or loser! This shows that the poster you have quoted does not understand this system at all.

It seems like either someone is trying there best to put people off, or it's just a plain old spoof posting - baiting a response.

Either way, it's riddled with errors and contains nothing that any of our forum users need worry about.

Can I ask - where did you see it?

John

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I don't want to reveal where I got it from, sorry but thank you for putting my worries to bed, when I emailed them yesterday with my LBA I attatched my phone number so just see what happens now!

Offer accepted.

Case closed

I don't want to reveal where I got it from, sorry but thank you for putting my worries to bed, when I emailed them yesterday with my LBA I attatched my phone number so just see what happens now!

Just a quick note from someone who also wrote to the Hfax - I received a phone call from them literally as I was logging on to the MoneyClaim website! Whilst I was perversely grateful for the call (because at least it showed some interest on their part) I was caught so totally unprepared I could not really even voice what my complaint was about!

So I would recommend that you make some brief notes about what your case is about, and keep them in your wallet (or whatever) so you have a quick reminder should they surprise you!

• Confused 2

Nij

Halifax £744 - Letter 1 sent 22/3 - no response

Letter 2 (LBA) sent 7/4

Standard Response Letter rcvd 7/4

Phone call rcvd 24/4 - offered £308 CONDITIONALLY - awaiting confirmation letter

27/4 - Conditional offer letter rcvd for £308

Case created on MoneyClaim 4/5

Halifax notes an intention to defend claim 10/5

23/5 - Some cash appears in account!

Settled, and ceased court action

Just a quick note from someone who also wrote to the Hfax - I received a phone call from them literally as I was logging on to the MoneyClaim website! Whilst I was perversely grateful for the call (because at least it showed some interest on their part) I was caught so totally unprepared I could not really even voice what my complaint was about!

So I would recommend that you make some brief notes about what your case is about, and keep them in your wallet (or whatever) so you have a quick reminder should they surprise you!

That is a really good idea! Thanks!

Guest blindman
................. I was caught so totally unprepared I could not really even voice what my complaint was about!

So you've sent two letters and you have started court proceedings and you don't know what your complaint is about?

My recommendation is that you READ the FAQ's on this and the MCOL site, because if you go to court you may have problems.

HI BBB, This guy from this other forum works for a bank, what else can he say yes sue us we will pay up, its the same old big institution against the mere members of the public who they think thick and stupid lets frighten them off before we loose to much profit ...............if you have a claim go for it :)

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

So you've sent two letters and you have started court proceedings and you don't know what your complaint is about?

My recommendation is that you READ the FAQ's on this and the MCOL site, because if you go to court you may have problems.

I think what they are saying (sorry for being presumptious) is that they had trouble, putting into words, what their complaint was. To be honest I would probably be the same, I know exactly why I am complaining but if I was to be caught unawares all the relevent facts and clauses would go completely.

I would presume when they go to court they will have all relevent information at hand.

I think what they are saying (sorry for being presumptious) is that they had trouble, putting into words, what their complaint was. To be honest I would probably be the same, I know exactly why I am complaining but if I was to be caught unawares all the relevent facts and clauses would go completely.

I would presume when they go to court they will have all relevent information at hand.

You hit the nail on the head as to what I meant. When there is someone on the other end of the phone with a script as to the things they want to say, I found myself struggling to find the words - and I knew I didn't really want to say "But they're so UNFAIR" ;)

I got much of the stuff I wanted to say - that I wanted a full refund of the charges etc, but certain terms and words just totally eluded me!

So, whilst there probably was no point rattling off the points of law to them anyway - it would have helped if I could have said "thank you for making those points, however, I believe your charges are punitive and therefore contrary to the law... so I will be taking this case to court" instead of what I actually said which was "thank you for making those points, I believe I will be taking this to court but I would like to see your (woefully low) offer in writing".

Nij

Halifax £744 - Letter 1 sent 22/3 - no response

Letter 2 (LBA) sent 7/4

Standard Response Letter rcvd 7/4

Phone call rcvd 24/4 - offered £308 CONDITIONALLY - awaiting confirmation letter

27/4 - Conditional offer letter rcvd for £308

Case created on MoneyClaim 4/5

Halifax notes an intention to defend claim 10/5

23/5 - Some cash appears in account!

Settled, and ceased court action

So, to get this right, is he saying that only 5% of banks pay up?

Nonsense, if he is. ALL have paid up so far.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

So, to get this right, is he saying that only 5% of banks pay up?

Nonsense, if he is. ALL have paid up so far.

He probably is saying that Dave, I could say the sun shines out of my you know where but it aint so ;)

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks chaps :)

Offer accepted.

Case closed

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Offer accepted.

Case closed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks