Marks & Spencer's

Pen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone offer any advice to friends of mine please, This is a very long winded story.

Last night a couple of my friends (Jim and Susan) went to M&S to do some Xmas shopping. whilst the Susan was looking around the womens department Jim walk off to buy her a present. they arranged to phone each other after 30 mins to catch up.

Un-be-known to Susan Jim had booked a holiday for then to New York as her present. So whilst in M&S he went to the Bureau de change to change £300 in to Dollars as part of her present. Jim handed over the £300 and the assistant counted out £200 in Dollars. Jim asked why she was only giving him £200 the assistant said that he had only given her £200.00 Jim knew he had given her £300 as he had just got it out of the cash machine. so he told her it was £300 he had given her, the the assistant insisted Jim had only given her £200 and called Jim a liar. Jim was quite shocked by this remark and asked her to check her till. the assistant was not on her own there was another assistant with her so the both counter the money in the till. after the third time of checking it the assistant went to Jim and said she was sorry he had in fact given her £280 once again Jim was shocked by her reply insisting that he gave her £300 the assistant said that the till was only over by £80 so he must have given her only £280. at this point Susan came looking for Jim as he had been gone well over the 30mins and she could not get him on the Mobil. when she found him at the buro counter he had to tell her what he was doing and what had happened so her surprise present was ruined. Jim eventually took the £280 in dollars but informed the assistant that he was going to customer services to complain anyway to cut a very long story short , they found the extra £20, the assistant had left her post and was no where to be seen and the manager gave Jim £100 in vouchers and stated they would in investigate what at happened and look in to it.

Jim is still unhappy with the situation, he took the hundred pound vouchers but does not really want them ,he is very unhappy his surprise present to Susan is ruined and that he was called a lier in public. Can anyone advice me on Jim's rights, What can he do regarding this situation as he really is cut up about what had happened

Thanks everyone

Pen

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

Unfortunately it'll all be heresay. and whilst the end result meant that Jim wasn't disadvantages (effectively being £100 up in vouchers), there is an expectation that after the acceptance of the M&S vouchers, the matter has been closed.

Staff incompetence apart, the whole matter was badly handled, but after an apology and financial recompence, what else can be done? Ritual Disemboweling (possibly satisfying, but hardly seasonal). In the absence of a goodwill gesture and apology, but with the correct amount of $$$, then a letter to Head Office might have achieved exaclty the same result. In similar situations I always count out money in front of the staff member so there is no room for doubt. It was an unfortunate experience, but I think it should be chalked up to experience and just don't shop at that M&S branch again.

Whilst nothing more can be done for your friend, he received his money, eventually, and some form of compensation in the form of the vouchers, I would be inclined still to write to head office, if only to bring their attention to the fact that something is amiss in this branch. Imagine if your friend had been an overseas customer with limited English, he never would have got his money back. it does sound suspiciously like someone is on the make at M&S, especially as the till was already £20 down, which miraculously reappeared.

Mr & Mrs Bigboy

14/09/06 - Prelim letter sent

15/09/06 - Prelim letters received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

29/09/06- LBA Sent

02/10/06 - LBA's received in Leeds & Canary Wharf (our branch)

13/10/06 - Received part offer - rejected

16/10/06 - MCOL issued

Hi everyone,

I sort of agree with your views,. Jim did receive the £100 in tokens which he gave to his wife and today she received a enormous bouquet of flowers hand delivered by security. Poor Jim gets insulted and all the hard work he has done over the last couple of months planning and paying for the holiday, booking flights, hotels etc all as a big surprise has gone up in smoke because of the actions off one worker. I would laugh if he wasn't so upset about it. I think what really gets him is being called a lier as if he was the one trying to rob M&S, especially when the store was so packed and in front of so many people I can't imagine how embarrassing he must have felt. I know if it was me I would want the ground to open up and swallow me, if that did.nt happen then I'd have told them where to stick the vouchers and sue them for defamation of character and then get them to arrange another surprise for my wife, none of which would happen since we live in the real world and not fantsacy land but Jim wants a formal letter of apology, could he insist on this or does he, like millions of other just put this sort of thing down to experience

Thanks everyone

Pen

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

If he wrote to the HO outlining what happened, I'm sure they will provide a written apology and perhaps esaclate it so that it is not a problem that is contained within the branch. I think the real issue is that the staff member concerned handled the whole thing dreadfully, and they might learn from it.

Hi Busby,

just one more thing, there where plenty of wittiness who where in a quue who heard the assistant call Jim a lier so to did she make this statement to the colleague who help her to re count the till, Jim is a professional person and may have done business with these people of a professional nature, surly by this assistant calling Jim a lier she was casting doubt on Jim's good character and moral stance, thees same people where gone when the money was found apologia was made so that have left with decremental thoughts as to Jim's charicter, morals and values does this class as defamation of character

cases won

As I noted earlier, all of what happened would be classed (if it went to court) as heresay, UNLESS Jim had the foresight to round up a few of the witnesses to get their contacxt details in case of court action.

However, if the roles were reversed, and I was the subject to such an unjustified allegation by a member of staff, I (and others) hold them in such utter contempt anyway, I doubt whether anyone would take at face value any utterance. A neat touch to pay the staff member a lesson is to raise an action against them (alone - as the employer has effectively settled Jim's distress) for making a slanderous statement in public, however since the only satisfaction would be monetary, and if they work for M&S they'll not have much of that, it could be a waste of time and money.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi a update on Jim's problem. I am happy to respond that M&S wrote to Jim offering him $600 which he happily excepted along with a very large bouquet of flowers for his wife, well done M&S.

Pen

cases won