Landlord broke our tenancy agreement today

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am living in a small, 2 bedroom terraced house and it is my first time renting. I have always been very aware of how important it is to be on good terms with your landlord, and as such, I have always paid my rent early (Via Bacs transfer) and have kept the house in good order.

Earlier this month my landlord made me aware that he was planning to change the sofa (which i was pleased about, the one standing was cream and discoloured before we moved in. A throw was always on it to cover these marks), add a dishwasher (which was excellent news), and add a new frdige freezer, which would require the removal of one of the surfaces in the kitchen. He told me he would be coming around the middle of december to add these new fittings and remove the old ones. I said it would be fine, as I was keen to be rid of the old fittings!

Today (16th december) I arrived home from xmas shopping, to find the front door of the house open, with a rented white van outside it. He entered the property without my permission and removed the old fittings and added the new ones.

I did not give permission for him to enter the property today, nor did I give permission for him to move the food from my old fridge to the new fridge. The house was untidy (left the house early to avoid the xmas rush, I left it untidy before he arrived, he left the house in a condition I would expect to find it in) and I myself was not happy with the state of repair it was in. Further to this, he has added a bookshelf to the 2nd bedroom, limiting the space in that room.

The tenancy agreement reads

"The Tenant agrees to allow the landlord or any other person authorised by the landlord to enter the property at all reasonable times of the day giving the tenant 24hours notice, to visit and examine the condition of the property and to carry out any repairs, maintenance, alterations or replace fixtures and fittings for the purpose of complying with any obligations imposed on the landlord by law".

So I take it, by entering the property without my permission, he has broken the tenancy agreement?

I feel violated to be honest, I always paid my rent early and always held a good relationship with the landlord I thought (up until now, maybe thats why he felt it ok to drop in unannounced?), but I'm very put out by the fact he has dropped into the house when I'm not there, moved food from one fridge to another (the new fridge was still cooling down when I entered the property he tells me, so moving the food across may have been unwise), and basically the house in a state I would not have wanted him to see it in (I typically keep the house immaculate, however like I say, we left early to beat the xmas rush). I'm very pleased that new fittings have been put in place and the old ones removed, but when I asked the landlord why he didn't contact us before he said "I tried to call the mobile and got no reply. I called the house phone and there was no reply there either". These statements are untrue for the instances when I was in the property, and as I would understand it, he should have either left a message, or sent a txt message as correspondence? Would I be right in thinking the onus is on him to contact me?

I'm quite upset by the whole ordeal, and am looking to change address after xmas, I do not want a repeat performance of what happened today.

What happens now that he has broken the tenancy agreement? has he broken it?

Many thanks to any advice given.

violated,in reply to your post and in my opinion:

1.Your landlord is NOT allowed to enter the property without your consent.

2.Your landlord has trespassed by entering your property and thus could potentially be liable to pay you damages.In this particular case,his defence would be to improve your living conditions which you admit yourself he has done.

3.The landlord should give you reasonable notice if he wants to enter the property - at least 24 hours

4.However,you should be flexible (within reason) to give your landlord access.

5.If your landlord enters your home when you are away there is not much practically you can do about it.

6.However,if he attempts to enter your home when you are at home you should get a form of latch such that he cannot just walk in at ease.

I have posted before within the landlord & tenant section regarding this problematic topic which you should read through as there is plenty of useful information on this topic and other types of landlord/tenant associated problems and practical solutions.

By the way,I have two questions for you:

1.Has your landlord entered the property before without your consent?

2.How long have you been a tenant of this landlord?

The answers to the above questions should hopefully enable me to assist you further.

Thank you for your reply.

I've been with the landlord for 6 months. The encounter yesterday was the first time I have ever met him, all previous correspondence was via text message and telephone.He has never before entered the property without my consent (he lives over 100 miles away). I think it was his partner who was with him at the time also, I take it that if the landlord has given permission it's ok for her to be in the property.

There is a latch on the door already, for which I'm glad.

The "improvement of living conditions" is true, I suppose. We were doing just fine with how it was though.

I'm more than familiar with landlords being awkward with regards to replacing deposits when tenants leave the house. I keep the house in immaculate condition, but, if he were to try and withhold deposit without reasonable reason, would the events of yesterday work in my favour? I'm in no way intending to forfeit the deposit whatsoever, but I know of friends in the past who have lost deposits due to landlords who have counted on the ex tenants not kicking up a fuss.

I will be more than flexible with my landlord for sure, however, I, like anyone else, shudders at the thought of someone even seeing what's in my fridge, let alone someone touching it.

Many thanks for your reply.

violated,in reply to your last post:

1.If your landlord has a series of unannouced visits yes this may go in your favour.

2.To be blunt and honest with you,you should see to let him know in the nicest way possible that you would like to be in the property when he wants access.

3.Regarding the deposit,make sure that you keep the place in such a way that it looks like it was one the first day of the tenancy.

4.Take photos of every room in the property should ther be a dispute further down the line.

5.Pay all the bills associated with the property and accordance to the terms laid down in the tenancy agreement.As some landlords will refuse to release deposits wihout proof of paying the bills.Some may argue a landlord has no right to do this I personally think he has a right within reason mainly the water and council tax - I have posted regarding this on another thread fairly recently backuped with the reasoning.

6.Have the final "settled amounts" bills available - give copies NOT ORIGINALS if needed to the landlord.

7.Anyway,from next April there will be a deposit scheme that is compulsory for landlords to sign up to in the hope to solve disputes between landlords and tenants swiftly and fairly.I have seen somebody post on this topic here as well within this section of this forum.

Finally,in my view if you follow what I have just mentioned about the access problem and deposit issues you should have minimal problems hopefully.

However,if you need any more help just ask.

Hey,

To be blunt. From what you wrote, it sounds like he did tell you he'd be coming round. You wrote "He told me he would be coming around the middle of december to add these new fittings and remove the old ones. I said it would be fine, as I was keen to be rid of the old fittings!" To me thats advanced warning enough. He should have called you on the day before to book a time, granted! But he did say he tried to phone you that day.. You said you left the house "early" to go shopping.. So he couldn't get hold of you.

Think about it from his perspective. He's forewarned you! He then hires a van, (which sounds like he's not a full time landlord). He buys the new White Goods and loads the van up. He phones you! No answer......He phones you again....No answer........ He's got over 100 miles to drive with his wife (punishment enough) and has now crossed the point of no return as he's bought all this stuff, has nowhere to store it, and has the van for only a short ammount of time...

You try driving a 100 miles and then lifting a load of stuff in and out of a Van....And with his partner!!!!!! Its hard work!!!!!!!

The way I see it is:

1: He gave you notice that during the middle of Decmber he would be doing work!! He should have given you a specific date to avoid upsetting you ike this, yes! But he gave notice, thats a fact that you admit!

2:The landlord can enter into "his" property whether you like it or not if he gives correct notice, or shows evidence of attemting to give notice (call records, letter copies etc)

3: He's done his best to imrpove your living standards, at his expense! Ok your feeling violated, but he's taken care to transfer your food to the new fridge!!! I know landlords who wouldn't even open the door. Just drag the thing out and dump it down the tip!!

4: He fitted a shelf thus dramatically reducing the size of a room?????Thats either one hell of a big shelf, or a bloomin tiny room!!! Its his house, he fits things where he wants. You ask him permisiion, not the other way round!!!!

I really get the impresion from what you've written that you're being a bit harsh on the poor bloke...I've seen and heard of far far far worse situaitons.. Be grateful that he's a good landlord and not someone who does'nt give a damn????

PS: He brought his wife into your house!!!!!! He can bring a brass band with him if he gives notice!!!!

I would be absolutely furious if my landlord had done this. Williams, a landlord MUST give 24 hours notice, not 'ring up on the day' 'sometime mid-December' - it wouldn't have mattered that the OP had gone out shopping early, then; the OP would have been forewarned and made themselves available. It may be the landlord's property, but it it the OP's home, and s/he is entitled to peaceful enjoyment of that home. I would not be able to enjoy the peace of my home if I was on edge, not knowing whether the landlord is going to 'just pop by' every five minutes or not.

If the OP had been given 24hrs notice as is REQUIRED, s/he would have been able to move food to an alternative location, instead of everything sitting out on the worktop getting warm/defrosting while he faffs about plugging things in.

He does sound like a 'good' landlord, who cares about the tenant's needs. However, the landlord is also bound by requirements, to respect tenants' rights, as laid down in the tenancy agreement. It's not good enough to be well-meaning; they have to stay within the bounds of the contract as well.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I've been a tenant for many years, a landlord now, and a property manager with an ample portfolio... Yes I agree he should have given more specific notice, and maybe he did. He still made the effort to call her prior!!!! At the least!!!

I was actually being devils advocate, as it seems like this landlord isn't the most experienced of landlords. I often get landlords coming to me after experiencing somthing like this situation, and asking me to manage their property for them!

There are two very different sides to any situation, and I'm sure the landlord has his explanation. I don't howevere think he "breached contract"

1: He gave "notice" (although not specific) that during "mid December" he would access the property to fit new and exchange old furniture and white goods etc!!

2: The tenant doesn't need to give the landlord "permission", as he has the right, with notice, to access the property himself and with anyone else he likes (hence the brass bank comment)!

3: If he did call you and you didn't answer, he could have (as I always do) recorded the call time and date on his phone. Records can be obtained after the fact of dialled numbers from most line providers. If he did call you then he made ample effort in the eyes of the law!!

4: You got a new sofa, fridge freezer, dishwasher and shelving..... Your lucky your landlord is doing that....really lucky???

I was actually being devils advocate, as it seems like this landlord isn't the most experienced of landlords. I often get landlords coming to me after experiencing somthing like this situation, and asking me to manage their property for them!

There are two very different sides to any situation, and I'm sure the landlord has his explanation. I don't howevere think he "breached contract"

Devil's advocate is always a helpful position to play, it makes the OP aware of what the landlord can counter with. However:

1: He gave "notice" (although not specific) that during "mid December" he would access the property to fit new and exchange old furniture and white goods etc!!

The notice wasn't specific, and cannot therefore be rightly called notice. Notice should allow you to prepare for a visit, to make sure you're available/not in the shower/not doing the housework naked/not on holiday. If the landlord did not give 24-48 hours notice of when he specifically would be visiting, then he has infracted the terms of the tenancy. I don't think it's worth making a fuss about this, don't get me wrong; he seems like a considerate landlord and therefore worth trying to keep in his good books. He just needs to be gently reminded that the contract is there to protect them both and that it needs to be adhered to for a harmonious relationship.

2: The tenant doesn't need to give the landlord "permission", as he has the right, with notice, to access the property himself and with anyone else he likes (hence the brass bank comment)!

See above; no proper notice.

3: If he did call you and you didn't answer, he could have (as I always do) recorded the call time and date on his phone. Records can be obtained after the fact of dialled numbers from most line providers. If he did call you then he made ample effort in the eyes of the law!!

No, he didn't; phoning on the day, when you are outside the property with a van, is not proper notice - the OP states that it was on the day itself that the LL attempted to contact hir.

4: You got a new sofa, fridge freezer, dishwasher and shelving..... Your lucky your landlord is doing that....really lucky???

Yes, I agree - we'd love a brand new kitchen. We can barely get an contortionist dwarf in our fridge/freezer 8) That's why I don't advocate coming down like a ton of bricks on this; as I said, he just needs a gentle reminder that the tenant is entitled to at least 24hrs notice. I would also feel violated if my landlord came into our flat without our permission - you get visions of him rummaging through your knicker drawer, scanning your open mail, or helping himself to your biscuits :-D Even though our LL wouldn't, luckily he's great...

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hope I haven't been misunderstood. Like i say, I have maintained a great relationship with my landlord to date, and as such, I've been very lucky to have such a great landlord so far. I'm very grateful for the new white goods and the exchanged old sofa.

All i wanted was a call for him to tell me when he'd be coming round so I could tidy up basically, make him a cup of tea, and ask him if he

had any concerns. He's been a fantastic landlord thus far, and I've always thought up until now we've had a good relationship. I'm not utterly distraught with him or anything like that, there are lots of "what if's" if I hadn't been out shopping etc.

I was just concerned with the tenancy agreement being broken what i could expect from the future, and other concerns people have had in similar circs. I have since then read other threads on the subject.

Thanks for all the advice!

• 4 weeks later...

SO, these matters took an interesting turn today when i received a recorded delivery letter from the landlord, with the new inventory and some other interesting details.

My first issue is thus, the new inventory has listed the new details, however, it states that upon entry the garden "lawn tidy, plants tended"

. This simply was not the case at all. Upon inspection of the house initially, the Letting agent commented on how the lawn needed mowing and how the garden was in need of mowing. This never happened, and I foolishly moved into the house before it was achieved, meaning that the garden was overgrown when I moved in. When the landlord visited me at the above date, he did not mention to me anything with regards to the garden. In the letter sent, he has brought to my attention 2 points. the first point reads

"The back garden is overgrown and in need of some attention". The equipment to do this is at the house, however, it is the 11th of January. The garden is unfit for mowing due to the wet. I will be tidying it before we leave the house, however, would it be unfair of me to deny signing the inventory that the garden was in good repair when we moved in? Could i request his evidence of this? I have no evidence otherwise, but if I could record that I will be attending to the garden as a "goodwill gesture" would it be unfair of me to do that?

The second part of the letter has me very concerned. It states "the chest of drawers in the Main bedroom appears to have suffered some damage form water being spilt on the surface due to the presence of a fish tank. please ensure the damage is repaired".

I will be repairing the chest of drawers, and arranging for them to be repaired. The damage is purely cosmetic, and would it be unfair for me to sand the surface, and then re-apply an acceptable varnish, as was before I moved in?

My main concern with regards to the second section of the letter, is as to why he was in my bedroom? He gained entry to the property without my premission and without warning, and was there, to replace white goods and a sofa in the living room. Is it unfair of me to request what possible purpose there was for him to be in the bedroom, when I'm not there, without my permission? As I'm sure anyone would be, I am quite upset that this has happened. I am totally unwilling to lose any of the deposit on the rent (as it is mine, and I have done my hardest to maintain the property)

, and I feel that the way i've been treated during my stay at the property has been unfair because of these instances (I will be relocating because of this).

What should I do in this instance? Any help gratefully received.

Have a read of the bottom of page 22 point 3.32 of this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/DAAEFE58-1AAB-422A-AFED-BDE6C654A4EE/0/oft356.pdf

Any advice given is purely my opinion and not based on any legal fact unless referenced with a case. Follow my advice at your own risk. Although the fact may be correct, my interpretation and therefore findings may not

Barclays - £391 Just getting started

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/144290-chris-barclays-take-2-a.html

Barclays - £760 Settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/17995-chris-barclays-bank.html

Barclaycard - £100 settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/17996-chris-barclaycard.html

Have a read of the bottom of page 22 point 3.32 of this:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/DAAEFE58-1AAB-422A-AFED-BDE6C654A4EE/0/oft356.pdf

It's on page 18 on mine, point 3.32 that is?

So it seems like the OFT would back me up on the tenancy agreement a well then? Because he broke the rules laid down in the tenancy agreement by himself?

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread.

As I understand it, the landlord has to give you 24 hours notice (preferably in writing, though I'm not sure if its mandatory) to enter the property. Presumably to give you the chance to be there when he turned up - to make sure he didnt look in private drawers etc. It does seem fair to be able to check the condition of items in the inventory as long as its not too often - you have a right to liv there hassle free. One quote from that OFT guide is "It may be his house, but its your home"

Also, regarding the general clealiness of the house, your only responsibilty is to make sure there is no damage to his belongings other than general wear and tear (or any damage is recitified or payed for) and things like not attracting rodents if thats in your contract. Although from your earlier statements this shouldn't apply to you.

With the lawn, what does your initial inventory say? And what is the cause in the contract about the upkeep of it?

Hope this helps

Cpt Black

Any advice given is purely my opinion and not based on any legal fact unless referenced with a case. Follow my advice at your own risk. Although the fact may be correct, my interpretation and therefore findings may not

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/144290-chris-barclays-take-2-a.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/17995-chris-barclays-bank.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/17996-chris-barclaycard.html

The initial inventory states the items in the garden (mower, strimmer etc), but does not mention a lawn whatsoever. When I moved in it was overgrown.

To be honest, I'm considering just sucking it up and getting on with it. Just write a letter back saying that the lawn wasn't tidy and that I want that to be noted and I'll keep it cut short anyway (when it's dry), that I'll have the top of the dresser sanded down and then revarnished, and that I'm more than happy with everything, and make a comment with regards to 24 hours notice and cite the OFT guidelines.

I dont want to get stiffed out of my deposit (I want it all back when I leave, it's mine after all and I am maintaining the house as I would like it maintained) but at the same time moving house right now would be a real bind as my girlfriend is having some really tricky exams right now, and will be for a lot of this year.

What do I do now though? He'll be expecting the inventory back, and I'll need to sign it, but I can't put a signature to it if I disagree right?

If there's no legitimate reason to, he cant hold any or all of your deposit. If you leave damage to something, he can only deduct a reasonable amount to cover that - eg. with the dresser, he could charge £50 to sand it down and revarnish it.

He can't force you to sign anything. The original contract and inventory should be fine - thats what they're there for. Ok, sometimes mistakes are made (as with my landlord, he said per calendar month for the rent, but ment per 4 weekly cycle) and you need to decide whether its worth the change. But with a new inventory, you need to check the items stated are in a realistic condition, if valued then its a realistic price. I assume only the new items replace the old ones. If it claims that something is in better condition than the original inventory, (or in either inventory than it actually was) thats called betterment and is illegal. I.e. making you pay extra to improve things.

This includes repairing general wear and tear (the landlords responsibility) Other factors which are not your fault or responibility (i.e. a burst pipe) Making you pay to improve the property (and extreme example would be an extension, but in this case would be the shelf - I'm assuming he didn't charge you for it so it doesn't matter) etc. etc. There may be other people on here that may be able to explain this further.

With the lawn, if there is no term in the contract then its not your responsibilty, however it could be implied by the presence of the mower etc. that you should cut it - only when necessary and it permitable (i.e. dry) and is it worth the hassle kcking up a fuss over it? Possibly not depending on the size of the garden.

One thing I forgot to mention, if he wants any amendment (or indeed original contract) He HAS to give you enough time to consider your options. To make sure you understand all the terms and get advice if needed (as you have done!) but primarily to make sure you don't rush into something you'll regret later.

I may have gone into a bit too much detail here (A little tired, sorry!)

But hopefully theres some information you can use here!

Cpt. Black

I'm really grateful for your help, thank you. If nothing else, to get another view on it from the outside is great!

It does state in the tenancy agreement that I am to keep the garden looking tidy. I foolish signed that agreement when the garden was not kept tidy, so i know the onus will be on me to get it cut before I leave. I don't have a problem with that, but I just want it to be recognised that it wasn't how it was claimed to be on the inventory.

It also says that on the new inventory that the light on the oven is working. The lights on the oven are working, the lights inside are not. It has always been the case, and this would not occur due to damage but to wear and tear, am I right?

It also describes the radiator in the bathroom as being "fully clean". It has rust on it and has since we've been here.

That would also come under wear and tear?

This is my first time renting (in case you couldn't tell) and I hear all these nightmares about deposits from friends and colleagues and I just don't want it to happen to me!

As long as there's no legal reason to withold it. In theory you could then go to court for your deposit.

Short of any evidence, i.e. dated photos of the state of the lawn when you moved in. When you signed the inventory, you said it was in a reasonable state and that you agreed to upkeep it. As long as the new inventory says the same there's little you can do I think and may be worth just letting it lie.

With the oven light - have you told the landlord its not working? If not then he can't know about it. It should be refelcted in the new inventory as he then can't keep some of your deposit to fix it. You do have a resonsibility to inform him of these things so he can decide what to do.

He has two options, either fix it at his own cost (assuming it wasn't caused by you) or leave it and adjust the rent accordingly. I doubt whether there would be a serious decrease in the rent as the lights not a major issue and very easy to live with. The second option is for things like if the fridge breaks and you can't use it, this is obviously very hard to live with and can be reflected with a suitable decrease in the rent.

With the radiator, I'm a little unsure - I'm sure someone else on here will have a better answer. My guess is rust is wear and tear, and therefore not your responsibility. However there may be an issue whereby the landlord claims the room is not properly ventilated (there may be a clause in the contract saying you must keep the property ventilated) and this caused the rust.

In these situations, I always think "What would happen if it got to court, what would a judge say?" Most of these option would not get that far but sometimes you need to prepare for it. So, take LOTS of photos with dates (have todays newspaper in the shot), get witnesses, make logs etc. etc.

I agree 100% with what you're saying. I don't have a problem maintaining the lawn, but I'm not going to cut it in january when it's wet outside.

I wasn't even aware there was a light inside the oven until it appeared on the new inventory! It came as a bit of a surprise, let's put it that way. You're right, I'll let my landlord know about it now then.

The rust does have me concerned. It also irritates me that the whole new inventory is totally different from the first one. The new one goes into MUCH more detail than the original that I signed. The original was a large font single sheet of A4 paper, and the new one is very thorough.

As I said earlier, never sign anything you're unhappy with. nd don't feel compelled to sign as a gesrure of goodwill.

Perhaps write a letter to your landlord saying you're unhappy with the new inventory and that you'd be prepared to sign an amendment for the new items, replacing the removed items, but not change the other items. You could state that this contitutes betterment which is illegal. (But get better advice from CAB and do your own research on it because if he challanges you, you must be knowledgable enouh to know where you stand) Include a draft of the amendment (insist you both must sign a copy for each of you) And say on there each new item, its condition, and if applicable, the item it replaced and the condition of the replaced item when it was removed. Consider getting the signing witnessed.

Include in the letter that the oven light has not worked since you entered the property, you have not brought it to his notice as you didn't know there was a light inside the oven! Also detail the rust on the bathroom radiator and include photos (dated with a newspaper in the shot for example)

Also, explain the fact that in future you must have 24 hours written notice (emergencies excepted) before the landlord visits you.

My personal opinion is this could get sorted quickly and amicably. I proberly would let the lawn issue go and deal with the more important ones, espcially as without any evidence, he is (legally is not actually) in the right. You just need to show that you wont be a push over. But don't be too aggresive - you don't want it to blow up in your face.

Question: How long have you lived in the property? Can you remember back to the state of the items when you moved in? Is the new inventory accurate, just more thorough? It could be possible, that in light of seeing the damage to the dresser, he is just trying to cover himself in case of any further damage.

Cpt. Black

I would say that the Landlord did you a favour. ok he was wrong to enter your house although a sort of permission was given.

You yourself has said he is a decent landlord where you have had no problems. Keep the goodwill going as he may decide to reclaim the property and give you 2 or 3 months notice for you to leave, if you turn awkward for him to deal with.

Maybe a letter to him saying that you would appreciate notice for him to enter your home, take some photoes now so that you can prove what state the home is in.

also, regarding the cooker, every year you should have had a corgi registered gas inspector to inspect all items using gas in your home. he issues a certificate about the working condition of everything. check it, it may include the light not working. (i had a similar thing with my cooker, landlord said the ignition clicker was not working and it was my fault,never had and the certicate proved it)

just keep the goodwill, if it does get nasty and you need court action in the future any judge will scratch his head and ask why didnt you move if it got so bad for you.

Ill do a seperate thread on my experience of renting where i had to file a court proceedings soon.

rich

I agree, if you stay there its much better to stay amicable. The last thing you want is worrying whether an eviction notice will land on your doorstep etc.

So, what I've decided is thus -

- I'm not going to sign the inventory until it is ammended.

- I'll be requesting that the inventory reflects the original and that includes the radiator, the grass etc.

- All correspondence will be in writing

- I will be inform him that I will be fixing the top of the drawers, and that when the weather is dry I will be cutting the grass (I spent a very cold and wet day yesterday cutting back a creeper at the end of the garden)

- I'll inform him of the light in the cooker

- He wants the carpets proffessionally cleaned becausee I keep either "Animals, Birds or Reptiles". I keep tropical fish. He wants the carpets proffessionally cleaned on exit because of "marks from dirty water on the floor" (Of which there are none). I'll get it professionally cleaned, but f are fish regarded as Animals, Birds or Reptiles for future reference? The letting agent told me before I moved in that they are excluded, are they right? I wish i had that in writing...

- I'll be maintaining the garden, and it will be immaculate before I leave, definitely better than when I arrived (2 foot high lawn! I've got witnesses beyond myself and my partner to verify it as well). I'll make sure it's noted as a GWG though.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll let you know how it goes. I do like my landlord, but I just fret about losing my deposit, like I think a lot of first time renters do...

as a landlord myself i find it madness that you see other landlords keeping deposits , you gain a bad reputaion and above all you can repalce most thing and get a tax break on it too as everything is perishable in a flat . do theese amatures not know this? more likley they are working to very close margins and need some proper education . if the letting agent said that fish are excluded then they are right as technically your contract is with the agent NOT with the landlord .he wants the carpets cleaned so he doesn't have to pay for it him self and any reputable landlord would do that at the end of a tenancy anyway , he is an amature and would do well to read up on the laws.

Tesco Personal Finance Due to File in Court 03/04/07

Barclays 13/03/07 Paid in full £1998.78 :D

MBNA 10/10/06 Paid in full £1507.69 (inc 751.69 intrest):D

the new inventory should not have been issued only an amendment for the new items put in after the original one was drwan up. so he can add the new fridge and anything else new he put in absolutly nothing else , if he missed it off then that is totally his fault and he has to accept that it is only with your good grace that you allow him to add it, he is pulling a fast one after getting some advise me thinks

Tesco Personal Finance Due to File in Court 03/04/07

Barclays 13/03/07 Paid in full £1998.78 :D

MBNA 10/10/06 Paid in full £1507.69 (inc 751.69 intrest):D

So realistically, I could simply ignore the inventory that is sent (the new one) and send the old one simply asking for it to be ammended? Because that would suit me far better (It would be less thorough and more fair).

Also, the house was simply advertised by the letting agent. They signed it over to me, but they are no longer involved with the house whatsoever, they're not legally contracted, and all of my dealings are now direct with my landlord.