Rip-off ink/toner cartridges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I use a Brother DCP-7010 laser printer/scanner, and I am really pleased with it. However, the toner cartridge is rigged so that after it has printed a certain number of pages, it refuses to print any more. I have worked out that this is caused by a little plastic flag and, when I force the flag away from the "empty" position, the toner cartridge will continue to work for anything between 1 and 40 pages before the printer again claims that the cartridge is empty. I then reset the flag and start the whole process again. I have got around 200 pages out of a supposedly empty cartridge, which is still printing as I write.

But, obviously, this situation is not ideal. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do to stop this practice by the printer manufacturers (I know that certain inkjet printers have the same feature). The cost to the end consumer is one thing, but what really annoys me is the wastage of both the toner ink (which may even be toxic when disposed of; I'm not sure), and of the time it takes to put these cartridges together, which could be used for making the world a better place (apologies, I'm a Marxist Idealist at heart :)).

I used to sell consumables for a living.

Firstly, don't be fooled by thinking that you have to use originals manufactured by the maker of the machine. You will not invalidate your warranty despite the scare mongery to make you think so. If you by a new cartridge , most own brand compatibles ( tesco, staples, office world etc ) will give you the same reproduction at around a third or half of the price. They should all carry a warranty to cover any subsequent damage to your machine. Most of these brands actually undergo more quality checks than the manufacturers originals.

Do, however, beware of "refilled or recycled "cartridges as these are prone to leakage and can damage your machine.

Happy printing:)

That is a good point, especially with all the propaganda being put out by the printer manufacturers at the moment which suggests that third-party made consumables are greatly inferior to those made by Epson, HP, etc.

However, the point I forgot to make in my post was that I cannot use a cartridge in my printer that will actually allow me to use all the toner available: the cartridge MUST have the facility which makes it stop after 2000 pages for the printer to recognise it. This is what ****es me off; and if it ain't illegal, it damn well should be.

Our printer actually runs to nothing.

I know it annoys you, don't know what we can do about it, but will add it to the list of 'ideas' which grows ever daily on this site.

On thing you could do is save the empty cartridges up and flog them to one of these recycling places. There are loads on the net they pay between 10p and £12.50 depending on the type of cartridge.

LOULA

Or buy the ink and a syringe.

It works for me.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

They all apear to be original manufacturer products.

Try the compatible makes, and with regard to the warranty issues, always try and make sure they are `ISO 9001` approved.

E bay has lots of sellers selling them, and most are as good, if not better than the original products, and a fraction of the price.

They all apear to be original manufacturer products.

Try the compatible makes, and with regard to the warranty issues, always try and make sure they are `ISO 9001` approved.

E bay has lots of sellers selling them, and most are as good, if not better than the original products, and a fraction of the price.

Put your printer in the drop down box to reveal all. Original & Compatable

I get 10 black & 10 colour for £16.00 + P&P

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_2&products_id=100120

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_2&products_id=100119

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that worked out the price of printer ink to be over £3000 a gallon on average. And we moan about the price of petrol!

The price of printers is heavily subsidised and the manufacturers get their money back with the extortionate profits they make on ink.

When you buy a new printer do your research. Read the reviews - I recommend PC Pro magazine - and factor in the running costs.

I've got an excellent all-in-one inkjet printer for under £40 and ink carts, black and colour (not originals but I've had no probs) for under £1 each.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Just a note to add to this subject.

I read a note within a re-fill kit instructions to be aware of the fact that some manufacturers deliberately change the coloured sponges so that they do not correspond to the ink colours in the tank. The net effect of this is if you buy a refill kit and put the wrong colour in the wrong tank the cartridge is then rendered useless. So watch out for this and make sure you know which is red, cyan, and yellow etc.

Just invested in a Brother DCP 115C, what an excellent bit of kit.

Had Noticed last night a warning black cartridge was low.

Took it out and its see through, 1/3rd left in it gave it a shake and it worked another 8 pages.

Will have have a look for this flag system as there is still quiet a bit left in the cartridge.

Used to have an Epsom, purchased a Zap-It printer cartridge chip resetter, plenty more hours of printing with one of those.

Untill

(however, beware of "refilled or recycled "cartridges as these are prone to leakage and can damage your machine)

An ink cartridge leaked all through the printer.

BL

• 3 years later...

hi join my campaign to chop the printer rip off if everyone brought a cheap printer which is almost the same price as the ink refills and intsead of refilling it just dump the whole thing and then bye a new one .Befor long the covenorment will be so peed off with the amount of printers being dumped because everyone says you might aswell dump it and bye a new one then bye refills they will come down on the manifactorers so hard the would have to cut there prices .

Don;t forget the other [problem] where the electronic chips in the printer cpunt doen to an (unknown) expiry date and can cease operation - the manufacturer's cite this as protection for the mechanism as the ink becomes older its composition changed. I stopped using ink and went to toner instead. Bigger quantities and less of a hassle.

hi join my campaign to chop the printer rip off if everyone brought a cheap printer which is almost the same price as the ink refills and intsead of refilling it just dump the whole thing and then bye a new one .Befor long the covenorment will be so peed off with the amount of printers being dumped because everyone says you might aswell dump it and bye a new one then bye refills they will come down on the manifactorers so hard the would have to cut there prices .

How many printers are manufactured in this country?

Do you seriously think that the UK government would have one ounce of influence on, for example, a Chinese printer manufactuer?

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

you probebly are right but if we just sit on are hands and do nothing we will just continue to be ripped off by the greed munching companies as well if no one brought there redeculesly over priced products they would have to cut costs and they might be not english companies but they still have uk branches . I just feel its about time us english got a back bone and stood up for are selfs and said no to these greedy people

Just put your money where your mouth is.

DON'T buy products that have traps like these. They'll soon learn as stocks of unsold priners go unused to the dump. Consumer power is to teach them a lesson, not waste time bleating in the corner for a compromise.

i have never brought full price printer cartridges and never intend to.

ive always brought printers off staff offers etc so 100 under retail price ussually.

or occasionally brought a printer off the car boot, one printer plus half full toner for £5 500+ pages later dumped it as the cost of toner was nearly 10x what i payed for the printer

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 1 year later...

The used toner cartridges are really an hazard to the earth, Using the recycled or re manufactured toner cartridges can save the environment. There are many online companies provides compatible toner cartridges, where we can buy best cartridges at affordable prices.

I take my cartridges to a place at the bottom of the high street, the black one costs £6 to refil and the colour one £12, so I get a good deal, I've got a Brother wireless printer. The cost of a normal colour cartridge for mine is £24.99. As I am on JSA it is a great saving.

I use a HP C7280 which uses the HP 363 ink. These are the cheapest inks I have found and cost £3.99 for 3 full large (45ml) black inks.

You can also pick up 2 full sets (black & colour, 12 cartridges in total) for £6.99.

I even have a backup HP C7280's in case the one I use ever breaks and HP should stop making them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks