Bank Charges Letter - Handed 14 day letter to my bank BY HAND...so....

Mack D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

...given that I've not had a resposne from them (letter was handed in on 5th December) should I actually send the same letter again recorded delivery?

My local branch is a Stones-throw from my house.

Hi Mack,

Which letter is it you're talking about?

Did you get the name of the person who took it from you when you handed it in?

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

Hi Mack,

Which letter is it you're talking about?

Did you get the name of the person who took it from you when you handed it in?

It was put through their letter box by myself (the 14 day letter sent after I obtained list of charges I've had over the past 6 years), the branch was closed when I put it in, therefore I think they are dingying it, I just caleld telephone banking, who scan all letters sent to branches, and they don't have a record of it either, so I think I'll need to send it again recorded delivery.

Holding things up even more, stalling gits. :-x

Ah, the preliminary letter (it's a bit confusing if you refer to it as the 14-day letter as the letter before action also gives a 14-day deadline).

I think, unfortunately, you're right - you'll have to send it again as you have no proof it was sent in the first place which you'll need, should the case progress to court (highly unlikely, but it's better to play safe with these things). I prefer just sending the thing by normal mail and getting a certificate of postage (free, available from the post office if you take your letter there to be posted) is better than recorded delivery. I have heard banks receive such large quantities of mail that they don't always sign for each one, then can later deny receiving letters sent this way. If you have a certificate of postage a judge will assume your letter was received, and it's also cheaper.

Either way is probably fine so long as you have proof you sent the thing. If I were you I would add a brief sentence in each letter saying something like: "please note I have obtained proof of postage for this letter."

The way they stall is annoying, but keep at it - you'll have a fat wad of cash in a few months' time.

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

In future, if you are going to hand in correspondence to the branch, do it during office hours. Go in with two copies - one in a sealed envelope addressed to the bank, the other your own copy. Tell them you are here to hand in a letter, but need a signature - present the back of your file copy for them to countersign. Ensure they leave sufficient details for traceability - more than simply "received at ". If they leave enough information, then it's as good as a Royal Mail receipt. In fact, it's better, as if you hand-deliver, Royal Mail won't be able to lose your letter in transit.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941