Threats before I start

plymss
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Typical, I requested my bank statements from Lloyds (with the £10 cheque enclosed) a month ago and not heard anything yet.

I was on the phone to my branch today about another issue and I thought I would ask if my statement request is in process. Here is a brief summary of the conversation

ME - 'could you let me know if my request has been received as I have not heard anything yet'

Lloyds - ' why are you requesting statements from so far back'

ME - ' I just need to check something '

Lloyds - ' If you are trying to get your charges refunded, you need to be aware that not everyone is successful and we are now actively closing accounts'.

just out of curiosity I asked who I should speak to, to get my charges refunded and I got the reply ' In our terms and conditions you will see that you are liable for these charges and we have no accountability for refunding them'

ME - ' is it possible for me to order my statments over the phone '

Lloyds - ' yes, that will be a £20 charge for 25 sheets, and an extra charge if there are anymore '

ME - ' I was under the impression that there was a £10 maximum charge '

the lady on the phone went away and checked and then confirmed that it was £20 and they could only go back to 2002, records older than that have been destroyed.

Just as I was at boiling point, she then offered to consolidate my overdraft and charges into a loan to 'ease the pressure'.

and so it went on until I put the phone down on her (I was actually arguing with her and she was shouting back at me)

This is going to be hilarious if every stage of the process is this bad.

Has anyone else had this problem, am I just unlucky to catch someone from the bank on a bad day, OR are the banks now telling their staff to use scare tactics if anyone asks.

phew...

I take it that you sent the request to your branch, did you send it recorded delivery? If you did start the 40 day timescale from the day it was delivered, you can go onto the Royal Mail Website to find out when and where. Has the cheque been cashed yet? If it has then start then start the 40 day timescale from when it was cashed.

In either case write to the Data Controller at lloyds TSB, you can get the address from the Information Commissioner website, telling them that the clock is ticking and that you will report them to the Information Commissioner for not complying with your SAR.

That woman is really talking a load of b******s, it's against the banking code to close accounts vindictively. In any case I would write a letter of complaint to your branch citing the conversation and hopefully the name of the person that you were talking to, asking them to clarify the content of that conversation.

It and interesting admission that the woman told you that statements are destroyed after 4 years, I find that ver ydifficult to believe, perhaps you might include that in your letter to the branch manager and the Data Controller.

As regards charging you what she said for your own data is utter c**p, its your data, not their's and the maximum they can charge under the law is £10

Hope this help,

Mike

ps have you asked for a copy of the execute agreement under section 78 yet?

• Haha 1

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reassurance Mike, I thought she was very unprofessional, maybe I just caught the wrong person at the wrong time.

The statement request was sent recorded and the cheque has not been cashed yet. I suppose I will wait another 10 days just incase.

I wasnt really prepared for the conversation that took place and I never got her name or any proof of the conversation.

Rest assured, my dictaphone, pen and paper will be at the ready next time.

Thanks for the advice.

Plymss

I agree with Mike, it is utter nonsense to suggest the bank would destroy records after 4 years. Breach of contract claims have a 6 year limitation - so if they did destroy the statements over 4 years how would they be able defend claims going back a further 2 years, or contest the accuracy of sums claimed ?

i am appalled by what the lady told you. I hope you took her name and can find the energy to write in and complain about her conduct.

Regards

Paula

Hi Plymss,

I'd sit tight and wait a few more days - I had a similar thing happen to me with LTSB. I sent my cheque and Data Protection request letter and had heard nothing after 21 days. I was getting very impatient and as the cheque had not been cashed I tried to call LTSB to see if they had received my request. After wasting 45 min, being given different numbers to call I had gotten a fat nowhere! Everybody I spoke to wanted to know why I wanted my statements, they tried repeatedly to get me to request a re-print which they admitted would cost me almost £90. Two people even asked me why I had sent my request to 125 Colmore Row and not 120 Colmore Row? When I told them I was in the process of claiming back my unfair charges and I had found the address in the FAQ on the CAG site they went very frosty and stopped being quiet so helpful.

In the end I just got so p**sed off that I just gave up and decided to wait for the 40 days to elapse.

Well, the good news is my paperwork arrived yesterday (2nd class mail) which contained records back the full six years - So i agree with Mike and Paula re the length of time the bank keep your records. Well, armed with the info from the documents I recieved I posted my Prelim letter today (recorded delivery). Oh and the cheque has still not been cashed???

Hopefully your bundle of papers is on the way too!

Simon