United Utilities and water bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into new house and I live alone since in May 2020

. I started to pay by standing order and 6month later I was told I owe money and must up it to £15p/m. and I did.

Later to another £25p/m around January 2022 and I did and requested to see itemised billing which was followed by a phone call to water office

To my surprised the itemised billing showing several hundreds of pounds owing. The lady on the phone was bullying me to effect a direct debit and that she needed minimum payment of £64.00 to bring my account to date.

When I asked what was wrong with standing order she authoritatively insisted that I must have DD in place. I promised I will get back to her but she was not having it, and I had to terminate the call. This was in May 2022.

Few days after our conversation I effect/increase my standing order to £65.00 P/month. I have not missed a payment.  

I now have a letter showing current balance owing at £128.66 with threat to pass my account to debt collector.

What are my options here please.

After debt collection what happens as they initially threatened to terminate my water supply, cancel my standing order and take me to court for recovery, now is passing my account to debt recovery. 

Topic moved tot he appropriate forum....Utilities - Gas, Electricity, Water

Who is your water provider ?  Have you always paid by SO ?  Did your annual statement ever show any arrears ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The water provider is United Utilities.

I have always been paying by standing order.

I took the initiative soon as I moved in in May 2020 to do standing order from the first demand seeking new occupier and I responded to start my payment by standing order.

I never received billing from the unless I ask for it. 

Okay thanks....

Well I'm with the same utility company and I get an annual statement/bill (as required by law)...sets out what I have paid previous year and the next years advance payments expected and if the payment amount requires increasing or even decreasing which they do automatically by Direct Debit.

Any arrears are automatically reflected and collected in the new payments for the coming year..listed month by month.

When they first contacted you by " new occupier " letter,  you did contact them and set up your account ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Also states quite clearly they accept payment by Standing Order.

WWW.UNITEDUTILITIES.COM

Pay your water bill using My Account or via our app. Set up a direct debit or choose other ways to pay

And if you set up your account on line ......you can check it daily to the penny.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/your-questions-answered/my-account/how-can-i-request-a-paper-copy-of-my-bill/

Unfortunately for them YOU control your bank account not them.

DO NOT get bullied into paying them more money than you can afford, cancel any direct debit payment you've set up and start paying them by SO at a price YOU can afford.

And they CANNOT cut you off or terminate your water supply if you are living in the property.

You are paying them a fixed sum each month, which you need to reduce until they supply you with an accurate water bill,

and any talk by them about cutting you off or legal action is just BS.

• I agree 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

1 hour ago, simeon1964 said:

I do not want to pay by DD. I worry sending my account to collection when they already requested £64p/month  and paying then £65.00

We are not saying you do or have to have a DD...but you can still set up an account on line...then you can keep an eye on the balance and possibly find out where these arrears are coming from.

Do you not want to see your statements and have control ?

• dx100uk changed the title to United Utilities and water bill

collections/DCA cant add anything and are NOT BAILIFFS.

next time dont ring them

writing only.

they cant cut you off - against your human rights!!

they will lie on the phone 

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...