Getting refund for return flight when departure flight cancelled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

i bought return flights from london Heathrow to Stockholm, travelling 4 aug and 10 aug. The airline is SAS but I bought them through trip.com. The outward flight was cancelled due to a cap on passenger numbers at Heathrow, and so I couldn’t travel. I can get a full refund on this flight.

But as for the return flight… 

I have explained to trip.com repeatedly that I searched for return flights, I bought them in the knowledge that they were a pair of flights, and even in the portal after purchase it shows them as “departure” and “return” flights. And so I should get a full refund.

They are insisting the following

Please kindly see the attached screenshot. Our website clarifies that “to help you get a better deal, your flights will be split into separate bookings. After tickets are issued, any cancellations and changes will need to be dealt with separately according to the corresponding supplier.”

This was apparently shown far down in the screen before booking.

therefore I can only get some taxes back, ie £20 instead of the full cost £200.

now this seems really really unfair. It’s not reasonable to expect me to notice that and factor that into my decision. By “helping me get a better deal” they have cost me £180!!

As I said it clearly says in the portal that I booked a departure and return flight (even if the email confirmation at the time  split it into two bookings with separate ref nos).

I’ve told them this repeatedly but they are not listening. They are saying it is airline policy to not refund the 2nd flight as it’s a separate flight to the departure one. sas  are just saying it’s a matter for trip.com .

has anyone experienced this? How can I get a full refund on the return flight?

can I appeal to any other body or claim compensation some other way?

thanks all in advance!

Did the credit card company charge it as one transaction for both flights, or separately for each flight?

if one transaction, S.75 * claim to the credit card company, service not delivered as purchased, (and then let the credit card company and travel company sort  it out between themselves)

* You’ve said it was over £100 so S.75 likely applies.

Edited by BazzaS

In my opinion you don't have a leg to stand on.

You booked with an OTA, presumably so that you could save about £20 compared to buying directly with the airline.  You then selected to book two one-way tickets so that you can save another £20 compared to buying a return ticket.

As far as I can see there is no way on Trip.com to be mis-sold a 2x One-Way ticket instead of a return. You have to actively push the "book tickets separately" button. And then you get multiple warnings telling you what you are about to do, which you should not ignore. Trip.com know it and it's why they have shown you those screenshots.

Unless you found a workflow to purchase these tickets without the active choice and the multiple warnings, you don't really have a valid claim here. That it says "return" doesn't mean you were mislead. Every train ticket website will tell you "cheapest return: £XX.00" when you are buying 2 advance singles.

You are welcome to try a S175, but if I wouldn't expect the bank to rule in your favour.

There are also a few other things you can try:

•  Have travel insurance? They'll most likely refund you. This is by far the easiest solution.
  • For your outbound that was cancelled, you are entitled to SAS rebooking you on a similar flight on a similar date. This should be your choice, not theirs. They cannot charge you for this. (They also cannot magically free up full seats so there are limits). Then you can fly your return ticket normally.
    • Note that if you already asked for the refund you are screwed. Unless the refund was forced without your consent.
  • Wait until the very last minute and hope that the 2nd flight will be cancelled too. If it happened to one it can happen again!
  • If all else fails, you can get your tax back which should be a meagre amount but better than nothing. Make sure you cancel a few hours at least before your flight, not after, so you don't get a no-show.