Harlands gym nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got a gym membership, paid for the first month, did't like the gym.

Anyway, ended up paying for the second month because I forgot to cancel it in time (they have a 2 week notice period, fine).

Instantly saw the charge and went to cancel my membership. Later that day. I see the direct debit was refunded, I thought this was due to cancellation, felt happy... but later I found out it was refunded because the DD bounced, due to multiple unrelated charges arriving that day, and not enough funds in that account.

I soon get an email demanding the original payment + an "admin charge" late fee. At this point I cancel the direct debit, as I clearly can't trust these mad people. So they attempt to take that money, and of course they are unable to as I'd canceled the DD, so they add another late "admin" charge.

What are my options to stop this madness, was cancelling the DD a fatal mistake? As now, I can't just have them take the money first, then have my bank fight for me. What are my options?

And I'm being contacted by email. They know my email. How should I communicate.

I guess I need to pay that final membership payment. But no way am I paying those late fees.

Edited by joeshua pouxley

Nothing they can do 

Simply ignore.

You found the gym forum to start your topic. Read a good few already here. You'll get the idea 

Dx

• Like 2

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, that's good to hear. I have looked at some topics here, but I think my situation is a bit different due to the DD bouncing and my subsequent cancellation of it before they could try again.

Don't I still have an obligation to pay for that last membership payment? That seems enforcable (unlike the late fees). Due to the 2 week cancellation period.

(I havent been to the gym since the first week of the first month)

Hi Joeshua and welcome to CAG

Your situation is the same as most others here - Harlands make a pittance collecting gym fees monthly so they try to boost their income charging unlawful penalty fees.

I would pay them nothing - they'd see this as a sign of compliance and weakness.

If they want to charge penalty fees as well as monthly fees, you have good reason to simply ignore them for now.

Let them send you all the emails they want - just don't reply to them for now.

Keep us posted though.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for the support. Love this forum!

I did email them saying I won't even consider further communication until they waive the unlawful fees - hope that's not a mistake 🤨

But I will ignore them from now on, and I will keep you updated if anything happens.

If I don't post anything, that means nothing has happened.

• Like 1

You need to block their emails too, otherwise they will simply harass you till the cows come home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Oh interesting, didn't know about that.

However,

When I block them in Gmail, it says:

You have blocked ***********@harlandsgroup.co.uk

New messages from this sender will be sent to Spam.

Will their emails still appear to 'bounce' from their point of view?

Or does gmail just not do proper blocking?

Hi Joeshua,

At least for a few weeks, let the emails come through so you can see who is doing what.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

Do it now if you want.

In the PDF letter attached to this latest email, they also said the following:

If you do not contact us by [DATE], your balance of £[gym cost + 3 late fees] will be passed to a Debt Recovery company who will add their fees to your account.

Stressful.

I've redacted exact numbers (and this account name isn't my real name).

They are blocked now, although I'm not sure if a gmail block is a proper block.

Any suggestions, anything else I should do?

ignore stuff and all anyone can do.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As DX says, just ignore and don't worry about this at all.

We've been doing this for years and know these threats are simply hot air !! They never follow through with the threatened action.